Southern / BR(S) Product News

burgundy

• RMweb Gold

A round up of todays announcements from Bachmann and Graham Farish from a Southern Railway / Southern Region perspective can be found here https://grahammuz.com/2018/01/07/Bachmann-2018-19-range-announcements-includes-new-tooled-lbsc-h1-and-bulleid-63ft-coaching-stock-in-00/ 

• RMweb Gold

A round up of today's announcement from Hornby from a Southern Railway / Southern Region perspective can be found here https://grahammuz.com/2018/01/08/Hornby-announce-2018-range-includes-brand-new-lord-nelson-class-and-maunsell-kitchen-dining-first-catering-coaches/

A round up of today's announcement from Hornby from a Southern Railway / Southern Region perspective can be found here https://grahammuz.com/2018/01/08/Hornby-announce-2018-range-includes-brand-new-lord-nelson-class-and-maunsell-kitchen-dining-first-catering-coaches/

Interesting you mention the Maunsell catering vehicle in your blog, I don't see it in the announcements, but Hattons have it on their website - finally something for me to purchase this year.

Edited by woodenhead

Interesting you mention the Maunsell catering vehicle in your blog, I don't see it in the announcements, but Hattons have it on their website - finally something for me to purchase this year.

It seems to have been missed from the 'headlines' at the top of the first post in the Hornby 2018 topic, but it is on Hornby's own website pages. SR and early BR liveries offered.

Your post re. the (re-)Release of the Brighton Belle is a bit confusing, you say it is "1950s small crest" but also that it has a "small yellow panel" - one is wrong (I think).

As an N Gauge modeller, I'm finding the OO Gauge Bachmann releases interesting. If they follow the usual route of being downsized into N within two or three years then I can look forward to an S&D 7F, an H1, and an E4.

• RMweb Gold

Your post re. the (re-)Release of the Brighton Belle is a bit confusing, you say it is "1950s small crest" but also that it has a "small yellow panel" - one is wrong (I think).

Duly corrected to reflect 1960s condition with small yellow warning panel, it's what sometimes happens when a blog post is written quickly (with some conflicting information) to get it out there.

Edited by Graham_Muz

• 1 month later...
  • RMweb Premium

Apologies if this isn't quite in the right section.

Worsley Works http://www.worsleyworks.co.uk/4mm/4mm_Southern_Pregroup_SECR.htm

Are any of the 60' (new Model sides) items suitable for the S1050S 10 Compartment Strengthening Coach used on the Seaton Branch (Cut and shut hybrid).

Many thanks.

Phil

Edited by Mallard60022

I'm afraid not. The SECR 60' coaches are fundamentally different from S1050S, which has SER pattern panelled sides rather than the various combinations of steel sheeting and matchboarding used on the 60' coaches. It's also a couple of feet longer, as it uses an EMU trailer coach underframe. 

the Worsley coaches look tempting though.....

• 4 weeks later...
  • RMweb Gold

• 2 months later...

I thought you may like to know about my small range of lasercut Southern Buildings.

Currently 7mm but I am looking to produce 4mm versions in the future.

Permanent Way Hut and Tool Store

post-1485-0-73953500-1528488213_thumb.jpg

Signal Box

post-1485-0-73296000-1528488387_thumb.jpg

Footbridge

post-1485-0-46878800-1528488419_thumb.jpg

and I am working on a station based on Bishopstone sans Gun Towers.

Art Deco Station.pdf

• Like 3

• 2 months later...
  • RMweb Gold

My review of the Bachmann ex LBSR H2 Atlantic is in the October issue of BRM for which the digital version went live yesterday and a version on my blog at https://grahammuz.com/2018/09/07/the-Bachmann-ex-lbscr-h2-class-brighton-atlantic-4-4-2-grace-and-presence-in-one-locomotive/

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
  • RMweb Gold

The annual wish list poll is back, you can vote here: http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/page/2018Wishlist 

For a quick breakdown of the SR related changes / outcomes since the last poll in 2016 see my blog here https://grahammuz.com/2018/10/15/the-wishlist-poll-pole-is-back-for-2018-and-opens-today-vote-now-vote-southern/ 

Lets hope that by voting Southern we can continue the great expansion in Southern related models being produced in the future!

Thanks for the information, Graham. Poll duly completed with what I hope are at least realistic aspirations!

At the risk of sounding negative (which I never mean to be), there does seem to me to be a lot of unrealistic exotica in the lists of all companies and eras, and of one-offs, which are never likely to be taken up by RTR manufacturers.  In the SR context, Drummond's Bug would be an extreme example of this: I'm not sure how this could be made to work reliably to RTR expectations and the interest in it, apart from the pure novelty factor, would be limited! Many of the lesser-known pre-grouping locos - despite the repeated calls for such items - might fall into the same category aided, no doubt, by the non-Southern/LSW/LBSC/SEC infidels who would say that most of them all look the same anyway!!

Mike

• RMweb Gold

At the risk of sounding negative (which I never mean to be), there does seem to me to be a lot of unrealistic exotica in the lists of all companies and eras, and of one-offs, which are never likely to be taken up by RTR manufacturers.  In the SR context, Drummond's Bug would be an extreme example of this: I'm not sure how this could be made to work reliably to RTR expectations and the interest in it, apart from the pure novelty factor, would be limited! Many of the lesser-known pre-grouping locos - despite the repeated calls for such items - might fall into the same category aided, no doubt, by the non-Southern/LSW/LBSC/SEC infidels who would say that most of them all look the same anyway!!

Mike

Hello Mike

All new entries have been suggested by voters. They are not simply 'a list of Poll Team wants' (although many will be by default).

Brian (on behalf of The Poll Team)

• RMweb Gold

Thanks for the information, Graham. Poll duly completed with what I hope are at least realistic aspirations!

Mike

The one-offs and rarities have great appeal to the collecting fraternity who, in commercial terms, are at least as important as those of us who take models out of their boxes and use them, with or without alteration. 

As for Mr Drummond's Car (as it was officially known), I followed my conscientious approach of only voting for items I would actually buy so yes, I did click on it, even though I would have to apply a hefty dose of Rule One to excuse running it.  

Making it work should be quite simple. Lack of adhesion won't be an issue because, prototypically, it'll never need to move more than itself. A Black Beetle under the coach portion sufficed more than adequately on a kit-built example (Jidenco?) that I once observed.

John

Edited by Dunsignalling

The one-offs and rarities have great appeal to the collecting fraternity who, in commercial terms, are at least as important as those of us who take models out of their boxes and use them, with or without alteration. 

As for Mr Drummond's Car (as it was officially known), I followed my conscientious approach of only voting for items I would actually buy so yes, I did click on it, even though I would have to apply a hefty dose of Rule One to excuse running it.  

Making it work should be quite simple. Lack of adhesion won't be an issue because, prototypically, it'll never need to move more than itself. A Black Beetle under the coach portion sufficed more than adequately on a kit-built example (Jidenco?) that I once observed.

John

All your points taken, John. My comment was merely meant as an observation, of course.

I (like you, I strongly suspect) am a 'user', not a 'collector', so did not vote for the Car as I could not conceive of using it! On the other hand, I admit to voting for some of what I referred to as exotica - the Adams 0395, for example, as it was long-lived, did not look much like anything else (opinion!)  and I would probably buy a couple. Not the least reason being that the Falcon Brass version as built by me does not really stand up to close...or even distant...analysis!

Mike

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Hello Mike

One major problem The Team faces is that what to one voter is 'exotica' is a 'must have' to another. Even we in The Team have opposing views on some subjects but we try to work it out on the balance of evidence and our backgrounds in models. Horses for courses, so to speak.

We can't set 'red lines' between what goes in and what stays out. We have tried it - along with various other rank and rate policies over the past 10 years - but none works.

Brian (on behalf of The Poll Team)