Heljan Beyer garratt

Hugh Flynn

• RMweb Premium

An interesting project, especially for Heljan as it will be their first UK outline steam locomotive. Personally I think they are making a mistake tackling such a risky and complex prototype for a first outing. I will be interested to see if they can deliver a mechanically sound and authentically designed and detailed model.

(we need a sceptical smiley, but this will do for now :huh: )

• Like 1

Well done Heljan for having the balls to do it. Put my order in for a British Rail version, well it might have been tried out on the Fawley oil tanks, that's my excuse.

Did rather fancy a plain bunkered version. No being a LMS man my information library is not that comprehensive. Did the early bunkers get converted to rotary bunkers before BR days?

• RMweb Premium

It's all a bit like buses ...

A 3F tender loco, Co-Bo, a certain Nanking blue and white diesel unit and now this Garratt due in the next 12 months or so ... it's never been so good for those modelling the Midland Main Line.

I owned a made up but damaged static Kitmaster model bought about 30 years ago ... the price?? 10p from a jumble sale (believe me I'm not kidding) got rid of it years ago, never motorised or repaired.

I bet there's fair number of us who secretly, really, fancied someone bringing out a model of this prototype who probably didn't vote for it in surveys, but who'll buy one just because of its impressiveness and size (BTW Dapol considered it way back in the 80s but never got off the ground)

• RMweb Premium

Isn't Kernow/Dapol's Well Tank the first retailer commissioned steam engine?

I'm looking forward to the BR(M) layouts with Garrett's haulling long strings of mineral wagons.

But, I can hear the grumbles already ;):

I'm an eastern region modeller and it's not the LNER one so I won't be buying one.

It's too long - I can't get it out of the box

The wish list gets ever shorter. I wonder what will be next?

Happy modelling.

Steven B.

• Like 1

Excellent news that someone will tackle this model but I do suspect the price will go up as they are listing them all at £199 no matter if they are clean or heavily weathered. I would be interested to see if the revolving coal bunker versions will actually rotate.

Anyone know if these ran into Leeds? :)

Excellent news that someone will tackle this model but I do suspect the price will go up as they are listing them all at £199 no matter if they are clean or heavily weathered. I would be interested to see if the revolving coal bunker versions will actually rotate.

Anyone know if these ran into Leeds? :)

Definately ran to York on a regular basis (on Ironstone trains ?)

Also to Gowholes (between New Mills and Chinley)

The above seem to be their regular Northern limits

• RMweb Gold

Oh bu**er! I'll have to sell my K's kit now. and all those expensive Ultrascale wheels. This must now be the around the tenth of my kits that's been made redundant.:angry: :P ....What next.....54XX, 64XXs, 16XX, WD 2-10-0, SR W class, SR 'German' 4-4-0, Wainwright H 0-4-4....Adams radial.......and that's not counting all the kits/bashed that has been already released ......the list goes on. I was contemplating getting a Johnson 1P......... I'm probably going to give up kit building from now on!dry.gif

.....well I probaly won't in reality....the joy/frustration of building for the sake of it!

Oh bu**er! I'll have to sell my K's kit now. and all those expensive Ultrascale wheels.

Well, you will still need the Ultrascale wheels to convert it, and the K's kit can be melted down to make weights.

And the Heljan chassis will probably need springing so Comet (or Brassmasters) will bring out a chassis pack for it and you can open the piggy bank yet again.

Think on the bright side. :unsure:

Keith

• RMweb Gold

Well, you will still need the Ultrascale wheels to convert it, and the K's kit can be melted down to make weights.

And the Heljan chassis will probably need springing so Comet (or Brassmasters) will bring out a chassis pack for it and you can open the piggy bank yet again.

Think on the bright side. :unsure:

Keith

:laugh: :laugh: :laugh: Thank you Keith, you've made my day!;) :P

But, I can hear the grumbles already ;):

I'm an eastern region modeller and it's not the LNER one so I won't be buying one.

It's too long - I can't get it out of the box

Happy modelling.

Steven B.

There is a ready to run Garratt for a New South Wales Government Railways AD60 available in Australia.

This comes as three separate pieces.

If Heljan go down the same path it should not be too difficult to have a mounting arrangement that will allow the model to negotiate fairly tight curves and also accomodate those of us who have more generous curves on our layouts.

But it is probably too early to speculate about this sort of thing.

As for not selecting the LNER one, makes commercial sense to do the LMS one as there is more varaition and the chance of multiple sales.

Respect to Hattons for having the inclination to do this.

Never seen evidence of one over on the Black Country, although they worked into Washwood Heath I've no doubt.

So Heljan - Surely the Stanier "crab" is not so different then is it ?

Never seen evidence of one over on the Black Country, although they worked into Washwood Heath I've no doubt.

In the RCTS green books the trials of the LNER Garratt on the Lickey note that on one occasion a train hauled by an ex.LMS Garratt was banked up the incline by 69999, stalled, and finally made it to the top with 58100 pushing the U1 and train! Work out the cost of that in Markits wheels.

I have a kit-built Garratt built by the bespoke (in W.A.) Andrew Morling. This model will have to be good to beat it!

Cheers, Peter C.

• Like 1

Guest Max Stafford

Why so? In principle it is no more demanding than an Co-Co diesel type, six axles driven in two independent bogies. Regular HO size motors power these perfectly adequately and will move a longer train than most layouts can accomodate. What made me think centre motor and shaft drive is the relatively low asking price for a two chassis steam model; using a single motor is one possible way to keep the price in bounds. (If there was a 'treat all this as just one person's speculation' emoticon I would insert it here.)

Well, I think it's probably a little more complex. There is a much longer wheelbase in play here than on a C0-C0 diesel chassis with larger diameter wheels too. I accept that a cemtre motor with flywheels and individual gearboxes would be the logical set up, but I'm convinced you'll need a motor with a lot of power and torque to get the Garratt to move in a convincing manner. Any idea what they use in the Australian model?

Dave.

Cor blimey........ Now that is a turn up for the books.... Got to give them their dues that is one big call. I am slightly scared by the next thread of the people using second radius going "it won't go round curves"

That is really surprising and amazing all at the same time

As each power bogie for want of a better word is quite short, I cannot see a problem going round sharp curves. However its going to look fairly rediculous!

Another good thing in my mind its effectively two locos, so it makes me feel like I'm getting it for less than a tonne each!:lol:

Reading the Hatton's spec., the first four examples have "twin motor loco." in the description.

cheers, Peter C.

TWO Heljan motors!!!!!!!!!!! Better start beefing up your power supplies folks.

Did rather fancy a plain bunkered version. No being a LMS man my information library is not that comprehensive. Did the early bunkers get converted to rotary bunkers before BR days?

Only three were built with plain bunkers and I think one was modified with a prototype rotary bunker before the other 30 were built. I dont think the other two were modified.