Heljan Beyer garratt

Hugh Flynn

• RMweb Premium

OK, so if the Midland lines behind Peterborough North station had been blocked by an accident, where would goods traffic to Leicester and Birmingham have been diverted? I've a horrible feeling that the answer will turn out to be via the Down goods at North. :rolleyes_mini:

Why is temptation constantly put in my path? And why do I so rarely resist it? Better get the order in.

OK, so if the Midland lines behind Peterborough North station had been blocked by an accident, where would goods traffic to Leicester and Birmingham have been diverted? I've a horrible feeling that the answer will turn out to be via the Down goods at North. :rolleyes_mini:

Why is temptation constantly put in my path? And why do I so rarely resist it? Better get the order in.

Indeed

http://myweb.tiscali.co.uk/roysrailpage ... 60062.html

Falcon, Lion, Kestrel, City of Truro, Deltic........

Ed

Hello Ed,

I don't think that you can say that City of Truro is a one off, IIRC 10 were built as City's and ten were rebuilt to City's. But I understand why you have included it.

OzzyO.

I should hope they have - comparing prices

845.00 AUD = 538.36 GBP

Hattons GBP 199

If I recall correctly the Eureka one started off at around 500 $AU when it was first being advertised and deposits (with a guaranteed price) were being taken in September/October 2004 - a lot can change between what Hattons announce now and whatever currency variations and tax changes might bring (but it still sounds like a bargain).

Wow this really came out of nowhere... It'll go brilliant with my kitbuilt U1 :yahoo:

As for the Eureka Garratt a couple of the gents in my SA model club have examples, not a bad little unit. I don't know if the sound equipped version if its accurate given I've only seen them run at our exhibition! (noise was dulled considerably by the din...) And yes its definately out of my price tolerance range for HO models, even the Blue Pullman will be cheaper! And I have the feeling that we wont be waiting anywhere near as long for the LMS Garratt as we do over here for our steamers....

Incidentally I liked the archive pic in one of the hattons listings, I hadnt seen the revolving bunkers open like that before.

Anyone remember the all-brass Millholme LMS Garratt of the early 1970s costing a fair few weeks wages?

I remember the K's kit of one, but that was in white metal. The only other one that I can recall was the Kitmaster one.

OzzyO.

• RMweb Premium

I wonder if anyone can explain how you would synchronise two motors with one decoder? I am sure it will be possible for the Garratt but I just wondered how they will do it. Apparently Hattons are looking at directional lighting as well. Price for Model post release (December 2012) will be £219, but pre orders are gauranteed £199.

I wonder if anyone can explain how you would synchronise two motors with one decoder? I am sure it will be possible for the Garratt but I just wondered how they will do it. Apparently Hattons are looking at directional lighting as well. Price for Model post release (December 2012) will be £219, but pre orders are gauranteed £199.

Basically you can't, it must use two decoders or a twin motor decoder responding to different address. In DC the units are in effect wired in parallel, and on board wiring would normally cross connect the two locos.

It would work fine, the slight differences in speed would be overcome by the wheels friction with the track.

The same condition would apply to parallel wiring being fed by a single decoder, but two motors on a single decoder gives problems with back EMF detection chips, and the load would be high on a basic chip, requiring a heavy duty one.

So the best is one decoder per loco chassis, and use the settings to equate to double headed running.

There looks like a lot of spare space in a Garrett, so few worries about fitting extras anyway.

An awful lot of comment so far is pure speculation, it is a long way from firm details, and a lot of comments have been on Heljan's record with other locomotives, but they are new to UK steam and things may indeed take time to settle down, but let's not credit the Garratt with problems before delivery!! so please only known details for comment!!

I for one will be buying for use and display running, no specific line or period, indeed in the past I supplied commercially a K's in full LMS red passenger livery, looked nice!! .....So leave the use of models to the modeller, far to may UK modellers are actually quite unfriendly about owners who run out of area or period, and it does put some people off joining in the fun of the model rail community. Just buy the models and enjoy them.

• Like 4

• RMweb Premium

Thanks Bertiedog I had thought that double heading set up may be the way to go with two decoders, as commented before they will have to be pretty good decoders given Heljans current draw.

And well said about enjoying this loco for what it is, I feel it is going to fly off the shelves. Release date is given as December 2012 so they have the best part of 16 months to work on it,of course we do not know when the project was commenced so it is possible a lot of groundwork has been done.

Indeed, my apologies re the Bristol reference, I clearly was thinking too frivolously, although I would imagine that many workings would have terminated at Westerleigh Yard. I wonder how often they appeared on Barrow Road shed?

As regards the Bath reference, I don't recall seeing any photographs showing a Garratt at Bath Midland Bridge Yard or on Bath shed. Should I start a trawl through my Ivo Peters volumes now?..... I might check the John Owen book, that may have reference to any Garratt visits....

I have a photo from a local book that shows one going south through Warmley. They were quite regular at Barrow Road as they would often run light from Westerleigh for crew changes. Again, sourced from a local book written by a former driver.

• RMweb Premium

Hmmm, just re-read the HM article which decribes the model as having two motors and AN 8pin decoder socket in the body. This reads like it is only one decoder socket unless they mean in each motor space (body) i.e. the water tank and the coal bunker. Some sort of clarification would be useful.

I have a photo from a local book that shows one going south through Warmley. They were quite regular at Barrow Road as they would often run light from Westerleigh for crew changes. Again, sourced from a local book written by a former driver.

Would you let me have the reference for this book as I'm interested in any photos of them in the Bristol area for reference for my model of Barrow Road shed?

Robin