MARC Models 975025 "Caroline"

• RMweb Premium

Following on from the prototype discussion here:

http://www.rmweb.co....post__p__502812

I thought I'd describe my experiences of the build and the modifications needed to build it into 975025 "Caroline" as rebuilt by RVEL in 2008/9.

post-408-0-17644900-1318078549_thumb.jpg

The kit arrived without instructions as I think it's one of the first issued. Having built a few brass kits before, I had some idea how it might be assembled and a look at the photos on MARC' website http://www.marcmodel...tion_coach.html filled in some of the blanks.

I wasn't sure how the roof was secured and was contemplating permanently fixing the roof to the sides to form an end/side/roof box. However the website photos show the interior clearly - so I assumed that the roof was a seperate piece held or clipped in by other means.

However a quick call to Mike at MARC and all is now clear. The roof is indeed fixed to the end/sides to form a 5-sided box. The photos are to show the interior detail that is fitted.

One of the ends was already folded by Mike as this is probably the most complicated part of the kit - the difficult fold is the small fillet the fits behind the cab and then folds down and back up to from the buffer beam. I simply replicated Mike's work. The "ears" need bending down as roof fixing points.

post-408-0-06021200-1318079157_thumb.jpg

The top edge of each side is folded down to an angle to match the ends, so that it can be used to attach the roof.

One end is soldered to one side to make an "L" shape and the same is done with the other end/side and then soldered together to from the body.

The assembly is only tack soldered at this point as I want to make sure everything is square before fully soldering the joints.

post-408-0-15740400-1318079212_thumb.jpg

I already like this kit as there's no pratting about with curved sides!! And the roof is already formed.

More to follow as and when.

Cheers,

Mick

Edited by newbryford
  • Like 3

• RMweb Premium

As I'm doing the rebuilt version, the cab headcode panels are filled in using some scrap brass and soldered/filed to fit. The half-etched line around the cab window is used to locate the seperate window frames, so it's not too critical if some of it is filled in

post-408-0-81911600-1318175907_thumb.jpg

The moulded chassis has also had the original detail removed, just leaving the truss rods.

post-408-0-33694600-1318175919_thumb.jpg

Cheers,

Mick

Edited by newbryford
  • Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Stepboards have now been added along with three strips of brass to hold the body in shape when the roof is fitted. Photos later.

Progress is now likely to appear to slow up a little as work proceeds on a number of fronts.

The body will have all the detail added, such as handrails, door knobs and window frames. If doing the earlier NSE version I would leave the window frames until after painting, but in modern guise, the window frames are the same colour as the body.

The roof will be fitted with vents.

The interior detail will be assembled - chairs/tables/driving desks.

Cab end detail such as head/tail light fittings will have to be fabricated - probably from large lumps of plastic. It's highly likely that one end only will have DCC controlled lights as this vehicle will normally be paired with my 37423 or 47501 in push-pull mode.

Wiring and fitting of the lights has to tie in with interior detail to hide the wiring. The decoder is likely to be fitted in the roof.

Underframe detail will be added, including modifying the bogies into something resembling the B5(S) type. Some of the undeframe detail is included within the kit, other will have to be fabricated.

Cheers,

Mick

Edited by newbryford

• RMweb Premium

Looking V good. What would you rate build complexity in comparison to (say) an average (not Centenary for example) Comet build?

Cheers, P @ 36E

Can't give a comparison as I've not built any Comet coaches. I would rate build complexity (so far) as suitable for anyone competent with a soldering iron. So far, the only complicated part was folding the lower cab end/bufferbeam. The roof is pre-formed and the sides are flat - which add to the ease of build.

As I first stated, there are no instructions - yet, but hopefuly at the end of this build there will be!

My intention is that at the end of the build, I hope that my experiences - and any helpful hints and constructive criticism from kind rmwebbers, will contribute to a concise set of instructions.

Cheers,

Mick

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Well done Mick. I was wondering if you might be up for doing some instructions.

I've done a fair few Comets and some other brass stuff of varying degrees of difficulty so this might be something I'd like to try. This coach has been around a few years; I'd be wanting to do it for early 80's if it existed then.

P

• RMweb Premium

This coach has been around a few years; I'd be wanting to do it for early 80's if it existed then.

P

It certainly was around in the early 80's. I think it was converted about 1970/1971. Painted blue/grey. Acquired NSE 1990-ish(?). Then something resembling SR EMU green after the demise of NSE and finally the peculiar opal green in 2009.

Cheers,

Mick

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

I spent most of Saturday night with a woman.....................

A bit more progress.

As I'm doing Caroline, the window frames are painted with the main bodyside colour, so can be soldered to the body at this stage. For the NSE version - where the frames are silver - the recommendation is to fix the frames after painting.

I've also soldered the handrails and door handles with the exception of the T handles. Etched ones are supplied with the kit, but I want to fit turned brass and I've none in stock................

post-408-0-35525400-1318720002_thumb.jpg

post-408-0-98272700-1318719987_thumb.jpg

The closeup shots show are very cruel - the shadow under the front frame isn't visible to the naked eye! The small holes in the front are the pilot holes for LED's.

post-408-0-42619800-1318719973_thumb.jpg

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • RMweb Premium

Work recommences after a few days holiday.

The roof has been soldered to the sides/ends and now forms a rigid five sided box. It was a little tricky to line up the roof correctly, but by tacking a bit at a time, a satisfactory result has been achieved. The roof is supplied overlength and required trimming down and the joint filled and filed/sanded.

post-408-0-87649600-1319756999_thumb.jpg

Roof details will follow soon and then that's it for the main body soldering for a while.

As the light clusters will be fabricated from plastic, they will be glued on, so I can get on with a good clean and a coat of primer to highlight any areas that need attention. (The small hole by the gutter line has already been sorted).

post-408-0-43503300-1319757015_thumb.jpg

Bogies and undeframe next. The tension lock is soon for the chop.

Cheers,

Mick

• RMweb Premium

Looking good Mick, will you be bringing to Wigan so I can see it.

Just needs a driver with a brew in the front with a load of office wallers sat around now.

Yep - will be at Wigan.

Where can I get a 4mm "Springs Branch" figure for my driver? :boast:

Cheers,

Mick

• RMweb Premium

Hi Mick

I am hoping to get to Wigan this year. Will you be an exhibitor or a punter? I would love to see the etch made up.

Following this with some interest.

Regards

Ian MacCormac up in Blackpool

Hi Ian,

Plan is to be on the DEMU Society stand for both days. Your name on the etch has now disappeared under the roof................ I'm hoping to complete it before Wigan.

Cheers,

Mick

• RMweb Premium

Just remind me what the bogies are please?

The kit is supplied with B4's (on a Replica undereframe), but the prototype is fitted with B5(S), very similar to a B4, but with an extra large bracket and damper. Not to be confused with a B5 that is a heavyweight B4 with square traction rod and heavier sping plank.

The B5(S) is clearly shown here:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/27017199@N07/6099792489/

The bogies also require rotating 180degrees as the traction rod should point inwards to the coach centre from the centre of the bogie, as clearly shown on the photo. As the tension locks will be have been removed, it's an easy job to rotate the bogies.

Cheers,

Mick

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Re B5S bogies ...

If they are available as a spare, then the Trailer Bogies from the 4 VEP ( Hornby ) will be very useful :).

Mike

Hi Mike,

They would indeed be useful - however, will they be a direct fit to the Replica chassis - I doubt it without modification - yes it probably could be done, but as I've got a set of B4's, then that's my route. The tension locks have been removed and the bogies rotated in readiness for conversion to B5(S)

A bit more work after a delay awaiting some roof vents - they are supplied with the kit, but look a little chunky. I'm using MJT 2944 short shell type and I think Mike at MARC will hopefully supply these with future issues of the kit.

post-408-0-71659300-1320370155_thumb.jpg

Buffers and buckeye plate fitted and it now has a "face"

post-408-0-48901200-1320370180_thumb.jpg

Cheers,

Mick

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

The kit is supplied with B4's (on a Replica undereframe), but the prototype is fitted with B5(S), very similar to a B4, but with an extra large bracket and damper. Not to be confused with a B5 that is a heavyweight B4 with square traction rod and heavier sping plank.

The B5(S) is clearly shown here:

http://www.flickr.co...N07/6099792489/

Mallard 60022 has got a spare set of these under his bullion van :nono:

The Hornby ones are inside bearing so I wouldn't touch them with the proverbial.

Try MJT on compensated bogie frames?

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Oh poo, you remembered!

Anyhow, as I'm doing another one (Bully van) can you remind me if the MJT bogies mentioned above will suit or was it 247. Otherwise I'll have to trawl back through that previous discussion! :O

I'd like to play at 'bitsa' building (alternative bogies) with this Comet effort.

P

(P.S. Been through Donny recently?)

• RMweb Gold

Oh poo, you remembered!

Anyhow, as I'm doing another one (Bully van) can you remind me if the MJT bogies mentioned above will suit or was it 247. Otherwise I'll have to trawl back through that previous discussion! :O

I'd like to play at 'bitsa' building (alternative bogies) with this Comet effort.

P

(P.S. Been through Donny recently?)

Memory like a wotsit me.

The best bogies are the Replica ones, as I believe Geoff is now supplying, along with a few other things.

Through on wednesday, I waved but you weren't looking

• Like 1