Please use M,M&M only for topics that do not fit within other forum areas. All topics posted here await admin team approval to ensure they don't belong elsewhere.

How do you know if you're made it as a railway modeller?

As an NMRA member I've been asked why I won't submit anything to the contests or work towards the achievment program. The simple answer is I don't want to turn my leisure into something that has to be graded, reviewed, and dissected. If I'm not enjoying it, I'm not doing it, end of.

I used to be involved in that kind of thing, until like yourself I realised a model was finished when I said it was, and not when I compiled a nice little folder with scale drawings and photos and stood back whilst someone with little knowledge of the prototype argued white was indeed black and despite the prototype evidence, your effort is unlikely in the real world. Plus of course the programme is little more than painting by numbers (US style), and has little relevance to the UK scene or the merits in gaining said certificates or adding MMR after your name.

I do agree that you have to recognise the definition of "Railway Modeller" as someone who builds things, rather than buy a collection of items and throw them together with some kind of resemblance of the prototype. Unfortunately, today's RTR is so good that I'm sure some people may never build a loco, piece of rolling stock, or structure, and still produce a quality layout. And I'd rather see decent RTR (not a Lima Collectors society layout )at a show than a "nice try, could do better "effort of the same prototype.

And as for covers, I've got one on the shelf at the moment so can't really speak, except that despite having a couple with my stock on club layouts in the past, there's something to be said for it being all your own work. It's just the icing on the cake and wouldn't expect anyone to be downhearted if your layout gets into print but doesn't make the cover.

• Like 4

When someone who has seen your work asks you to build something for them AND offer a good commission price?

The Q

(hasn't happened to me!)

Ah, thank you ( again ?), god this thread makes me feel good, keep it coming chaps, pity there's not a 'double-cool' smiley.

• RMweb Gold

I think I actually agree with Beast for once.

Peter

I've changed my mind then

When you've been in MRJ, Hornby Magazine, Railway Modeller (on the cover of several of these), (and several more which are long since defunct), won numerous trophies including the LMS Society one for the most realistic LMS item, a layout in this case, built several big P4 layouts, and OO ones (which some people still think are P4), been involved in organising and running 20+ major shows, attended, as an exhibitor, 100+, attended as a demonstrator 50+, but enough about me. :whistle:

• Like 2

You've made it when there is an unexpected knock on your door.

You open it expecting a parcel from Liverpool, but instead you discover Chris Nevard standing on your doorstep :)

Camera in hand...

Honestly you've almost made it when you have figured out which parts of a Slaters kit belong to the model you are trying to put together...

• Like 2

When you've been in MRJ, Hornby Magazine, Railway Modeller (on the cover of several of these), (and several more which are long since defunct), won numerous trophies including the LMS Society one for the most realistic LMS item, a layout in this case, built several big P4 layouts, and OO ones (which some people still think are P4), been involved in organising and running 20+ major shows, attended, as an exhibitor, 100+, attended as a demonstrator 50+, but enough about me. :whistle:

Gee, thanks, Beast - that didn't make me feel at all small... :resent:

Edited by bluebottle

• RMweb Gold

Gee, thanks, Beast - that didn't make me feel at all small... :resent:

It was a quip at some others :jester: (although all true), I wouldn't mention it normally as I still believe in the sentiments in my original posting, but given the implications in some of the comments I thought I would show (some of) my medals.

• RMweb Premium

Well, where do I start with this one! Have I ever been truly satisfied with anything I have ever built? Nope! But I have had 30 years of great fun trying to get there.

I have been very lucky along the way and have exhibited many layouts, operated some of the truly great ones and been offered decent money to build things for other people. My exhibition appearance count is almost certainly up with that of "Beast" and I have made the cover of MRJ and been published in RM and BRM too.

None of that counts for me as "making it" because there is nothing that I have achieved that many others haven't done much better than me. I am, like the late Peter Denny described himself, a "jack of all trades, master of none"

To me, I reckon that "making it" as a modeller is when you get to spend time with good people that you are proud to call friends, doing what you enjoy doing. I have spent today doing exactly that and will do so again tomorrow (already today!).

Perhaps I could add that one thing that does give me a little sense of self satisfaction is when an exhibition manager books a layout even before it has been built because he knows we won't let him down.

• Like 4

• RMweb Premium
Actors have the Oscars; Musicians have the Brits & Grammy; What do railway modellers have?

The BOGIES ;)

As a modeller I reckon I "have made it" if it was scratchbuilt on the bench and is not out of the box staff_muttley.gif

But seriously - what's wrong with a well-managed awards topic with a modest number of suitable categories? Personally I don't actually seek to "make it" as a modeller but am always pleased to find responses to my work displayed online and the occasional request to visit the layout sometimes from complete strangers.

I had this brilliant posting composed in my head as i started to read this thread, got as far as PMP's and found the b*gg*r had nicked most of it !!

To sum it up, like quite a few who have posted, I have "been there, seen it, done it, got the T shirt". But I haven't made it - whatever "it" may be - because I know I can do a hell of a lot better.

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium

When you are young you hang around with a load of old buffers and later in life you become one :D

XF

Hey, steady on old chap!! I've been having the same thoughts... you know the ones, where your "yoof" has disappeared into a very long tunnel ... and I find it disconcerting that someone else feels the same. Probably means it's true!

Oh well, at least when I retire I should have more time to find out if I've "made it". Sounds a bit like "Opportunity Knocks" - now that does show my age!!

Jeff

I'm another one who prefers the journey rather than the arrival at a destination.

Being railway modellers and not railway passengers, I'm sure we can all appreciate it's about how you get there, not where you end up that makes this hobby and the people in it what it is.

Paul

Can some one please define what "it" is? Because I'm blowed if I know what "it" means.

To be quite honest i don't really strive to make "it" because as I said I don't know what "it" is!

Although having said all that, I have been told that I will never make "it" as long as i have got a hole up my A***!

I do have goals though and have got some way to reaching some of them, Having Pen Y Bont published in Model Rail and Modelling Inspiration being one of them.

I have only one more goal that I would like to achieve before I retire from showing layouts and that is to be invited to a premier show like Manchester, or Warley.

If I can achieve that then in my own mind I have made what ever "it" is!

Cheers!

Frank

Edited by Dukedog
  • Like 4

• RMweb Gold

Putting something on RMweb that others look at, and provide feedback on. :D

And that's where we who may not be great modellers can still get our buzz - the feedback. I commented a few days ago on a layout, identifying what was good and why. The modeller came back saying I'd made his day, which made me feel good, too. A royal result for us both.

• Like 4