Please use M,M&M only for topics that do not fit within other forum areas. All topics posted here await admin team approval to ensure they don't belong elsewhere.

How do you know if you're made it as a railway modeller?

I felt I had 'made it as a railway modeller' when, after posting a layout thread here on RMWeb, I was shocked to receive no less than 4 invitations to exhibit the layout at model railway exhibitions.

I had to decline, my layouts are not portable, and, in any event, the idea of exhibiting terrifies me!

• Friendly/supportive 8

• 6 months later...
On 26/03/2019 at 10:03, Alcanman said:

I felt I had 'made it as a railway modeller' when, after posting a layout thread here on RMWeb, I was shocked to receive no less than 4 invitations to exhibit the layout at model railway exhibitions.

I had to decline, my layouts are not portable, and, in any event, the idea of exhibiting terrifies me!

Wow, was that for an American layout? That must translate to about 30 invites for a British identikit layout complete with totem stuck on the backscene. Well done. 

• Like 3

• RMweb Premium

Having read through this thread I am still not sure if I have qualified as a modeller. I have exhibited my layouts, including some of the bigger shows, I have had articles published, I have handmade my own track, locomotives, coaches, wagons, buildings, model figures, but I am not a scratchbuilder (apparently) because I don't turn my own wheels or wind my own motors. 

Who cares I have fun modelling and playing trains. It doesn't matter what your skill level is, or what you achieve outside your own railway room/shed /garage if you are having fun then you are a qualified railway modeller. 

• Like 2
  • Agree 3
  • Friendly/supportive 1