Modelling Inspiration 3

Andy Y

What an absolutley stunning visual feast. I feel very inspired. Lovely piece on track weathering... dry brushing? I'd not even thought of that. Well worth the wait.

Well done to Andy and all contributers.

• RMweb Gold

The photo with caption approach is a major advantage as I rarely re-read text but I could pick this up time and again just to look at the gorgeous photos. The balance is just right and while MI can link straight to a members thread I'm not sure that'd be that popular with the commercial side of BRM? I've already got such diverse interests that mixed content keeps it interesting so noncompliants there either.

As to steam effects? Well just like a well done photoshop backscene or the night shots on Aberdeen Kirkhill it provides something that the layout can't do at a show so I'm in favour of subtle additions as long as they don't George Lucas it and change the original 'plot'.

Especially with e-mags becoming popular maybe being able to turn the text usually found in mags off or on for future readings might be a good way to go.

Well so as to keep Dave777 company, a minor suggestion more than a negative: some of the white photo captions got a bit lost on the busier backgrounds - might work better with a bolder font weight and a little bit more space between caption box and edge of photo. Examples on p14 and 28.

But an excellent mag, nicely sized for the screen and easy to navigate. Way better than some other attempts at online magazines, which never seem to 'get' the fact they're not on paper.

• RMweb Premium

I agree with everyone about the quality of the photographs - absolutely stunning work! There's a bit for everyone in the mag with regards inspiration - keep up the great work, but I don't know how you're going to ever top this issue. I'm a real fan of Scalescenes kits so the bit about the old stone mill was a real bonus for me. It was really worth the wait this time and it's no wonder Warners want you on their team Andy!

• RMweb Gold

Better (IMO) than the excellent Model Railroad Hobbyist - which has been at it for 2-3 years. And way better than the online BRM, which I've tried. Definitely setting the bar high, and the direction clearly, for online publications. Great work, and thanks to all the contributors!

Hi Andy,

Well worth the wait, the pictures are fantastic. I don't mind the smoke effects either, but had you thought about doing a small video clip on each layout?

All the best Peter.

Just thought I'd say how brilliant the photography is throughout this issue - really captures the models well. The photoshopped steam is also a fantastic surprise half way through - not something I'd previously liked but when kept to a minimum the impact was great.

Thanks for a great mag.

I'm sure Andy took my earlier ribbing about 'too much LNER' in the spirit in which it was meant, afterall, much of my content on RMweb involves the LNER one way or another.

I think a video-link would really enhance MI such as a review of a new loco at Xmas. After seeing how smoothly the NRM Compound ran on Andy's review last year, I for one would expect this on the GCR/LNER D11 and defintely the LYR 2-4-2T from now on... :good:

In fact I would go further and say that if Andy is offered the editorial chair on a model magazine, that he makes sure a review video is slipped into the mag.....Yes, even a plastic bag would not deter me on the occasional issue.

Superb modelling & photography. Certainly inspired me to get up into my loft & get a bit of modelling done.

I like the look of the maroon carriage rake on the Peover layout. Shiny clean sides and matt, mucky frames, slightly mucky roofs - There is an article re this (though in 00) in March & April's Hornby mag - I'm going to give it a try, and if my models turn out half as good I'll be well pleased.

Modeling Inspiration -- Just about sums it up.

Brit15

10.50 am.......downloaded MI3

10.58 am...gave up railway modelling.

Are you happy Andy?

Dave

I got about half way through and gave up. Not reading it but I've also given up railway modelling. Rather than finding it inspirational I’ve found it totally depressing. I think I should give up now. So if there is anyone out there who wants a stash of 4mm South Wales stuff, some very rare, make me a serious offer.

I want a good proportion of MI to be about aspirational modelling blended with achievable,

Well I doubt if many people could achieve even a fraction of the half that I have read. I recently visited Pete Waterman's and came back all fired up, the safety valve was lifting and my enthusiasm was over flowing. But this inspirational, achievable stuff has made me realise that its not possible here so I'm off the write my resignations from the various societies I'm a member of, sell me stuff and get my friends to collect their modelling stuff from my garage.

There were only two small rays of hope for me, but still they are not enough to make me even consider continuing to model

:

• The substandard paint job on Doncaster Rovers – I can usually get a good airbrush finish and not get the orange peel effect. If I do I start all over again.
  • If I had built Walnut Tree viaduct as it was in 1920 (anyone want the scale plans?) it would have been half a metre longer than Balcombe.

Yours depressed

Am I the only one who can't work out if Penrhos1920's comment is joking or not...?

No you are not alone there . :scratchhead:

Deadly serious. I find it so depressing that I didn't make it into work one day this week and a couple of other days have been a real struggle. It's depressing that "inspirational - achievable" is so far beyond my capability. I used to think I was an above average modeller and at one time I modelled professionally. Once I've got rid of my stuff I'll leave BRMweb.

• RMweb Premium

It's depressing that "inspirational - achievable" is so far beyond my capability. I used to think I was an above average modeller and at one time I modelled professionally. Once I've got rid of my stuff I'll leave BRMweb.

Well all that is in ANY of the MI's so far is way beyond what I could ever hope to achieve , but I will still carry on

with my projects , I take the attitude that I know I'm not that good but I still enjoy what I do .

I had a look at your web site before strarting this , believe me you have no reason to doubt your abilities , from what I saw

you are up there, the quality of your rolling stock , even the layout looks good so far , is way beyond what I will manage but I'm

not giving up .

Just because those layouts are so big does'nt mean that something smaller cant be just as good , this is proven

time and time again on this site , I wont name any as that could give some of the owners the same impression that you seem

to be having now , ie , I thought it was good but they dont agree .

Please dont be to hasty , just because we cant afford a 5 acre shed or barn to build a mega size layout does not

make our efforts any less worthy . And lets be honest , with both of those large layouts in MI 3 there must be a bit of

cheque book modelling involved .

I will continue to build my second rate models and run them on undersize track with poor scenic efforts but still enjoy

doing it , I dont care if others think my work is crap , I have to live with that not them , and I dont care that it will never

get to be featured in an issue of MI either , I'm not looking for that , I am looking to enjoy building and running to a standard

that I am happy with.

After all , it is my railway . :locomotive:

In particular I would say the lighting in the photos is the best bit - really captures a daylight feel without feeling too warm and sunny. Anyone who lives in Britian will know all too well that those sunny days come around very rarely (with two thirds of days overcast apparently). These photos therefore capture an everyday scene fantastically well.

...or the night shots on Aberdeen Kirkhill it provides something that the layout can't do at a show...

I'm sure the Kirkhill Crew could do it at a show but I don't think the other exhibitors/traders would be too happy and the public might be bumping into each other a bit!

Archived