Dusting off my old list from here:

The following list is single chimney unless specified:GWR:

Tintagel Castle ....... Great <arms> Western ..... Collett tender

Caerphilly Castle .... Great <arms> Western ..... Churchward tender

Wellington .............. G <arms> W ..................... Hawksworth tender

Drysllwyn Castle .... Shirt button ....................... Collett tenderBR:

Earl Cairns ......................... Early crest ... Hawksworth tender

Beverston Castle ............... Early crest ... Collett tender

Ince Castle ......................... Late crest .... Collett tender .............. double chimney

Kidwelly Castle ................... Early crest ... Hawksworth tender .................................... sound

Swindon ............................. Late crest .... Collett 4000g tender .................................. STEAM Museum special

Great Western ................... Early crest ... Hawksworth tender

Clun Castle ........................ Late crest .... Collett tender ...............double chimney ..... sound

Taunton Castle .................. Early crest ... Hawksworth tender ..................................... weathered, limited edition

Taunton Castle .................. Early crest ... Collett tender ............................................. "Date with the Duchy" set

Penrice Castle ................... Late crest .... Collett tender .............. double chimney

Earl of Mount Edgcumbe ... Early crest ... Hawksworth tender .... double chimney

Abergavenny Castle .......... Late crest ... Collett tender

Are there any missing?

You could extract the types of cylinder covers from this post.

http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/89870-Hornby-king/?p=2407267

The latest offering is the first single chimney, stepped cover version offered in BR green, that wasn’t a Steam

Limited edition (7007/7037) and is the more we’ll appreciated version.

Maybe when Pendennis Castle returns we'll see another one in Great Western livery?

4079 is a nice one to do as it ran some service trains and Railtour on BR when preserved, in its GWR guise, but also in BR service with with GW buffer beam numbers. Having two tenders BR lined and a Great Western lettered tender I can get a pretty convincing model in both pre- and post BR ownership but on the mainline in the 1960's.

I have a spare BR tender, so can recreate both appearances (ignoring the cab/cylinder lining which is close as s_d it, or do it 100% correct as it's Great Western 1960s preserved Railtour experience). The number plate is affixed with a 0.5mmx3mm piece of double sided tape, so one flick of the finger and swap of tender I can have it off and change it's appearance from 1964 BR, to 1965 Preserved on BR.

Base loco was 5011 Tintagel Castle, and a second spare tender from Penrice Castle. The only reason I did it was it was unboxed and I was thinking to sell it, but seeing as they were only selling for £40 (after eBay's taken its slice) I'd figure I'd have a play with it.

Nameplates/Transfers from Fox, included water slide lining for the the section beneath the nameplate.

post-20773-0-72237600-1515534093.jpeg

Now we’ve got a “cheap” one with 5013 Abergavenny Castle I may switch my identities of 5029 Nunney Castle, to this new one, and do another more accurate castle from the older one (suggestions please) though with inflation it would seem converting 7007 or 7037 limited editions may now be cheaper !

[]post-20773-0-64624000-1515534822.jpeg

Edited by adb968008
  • Like 4

As a BR or preserved model 4079 Pendennis Castle is a possibility from Hornby, as 4079 has the fire iron tunnel fitted in BR days as per current Hornby tooling..

I understand the original 5011 tooling, without fire iron tunnel, is no longer available so a GWR condition 4079 version is unlikely, hence why all recent GWR models have been 5013 onwards or preserved condition (4073). The inside cylinder casing is a separate fitment (so too are the Stars) and as such can be changed easily.

That should put the second hand Tintagel price up!

Mike Wiltshire

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

And there's still demand for new liveries - if done properly and not too many at once.

A goodly part of the reason being that there has been a dearth of single chimney engine with Collett tender/late crest models - that has been a very open goal which thanks to direct representations to the right place in Hornby has now been filled (well topped up a bit - perhaps more to come as details of various with matching detail were suggested).

• Like 1

As a BR or preserved model 4079 Pendennis Castle is a possibility from Hornby, as 4079 has the fire iron tunnel fitted in BR days as per current Hornby tooling..

I understand the original 5011 tooling, without fire iron tunnel, is no longer available so a GWR condition 4079 version is unlikely, hence why all recent GWR models have been 5013 onwards or preserved condition (4073). The inside cylinder casing is a separate fitment (so too are the Stars) and as such can be changed easily.

That should put the second hand Tintagel price up!

Mike Wiltshire

That's strange, how come?

• RMweb Gold

blogentry-6720-0-68557600-1510782557.jpg

I'm pretty happy with the way this Castle has ended up looking, but I must admit it's more down to luck than intention. As far as I remember it's one of the first batch of the new models, which I then renumbered and weathered. A few months ago I decided that I'd overdone the weathering, so - even though it was several years old - I tried removing it with cotton buds and turps, leaving just a trace of it in the corners. What I hadn't counted on was that the green seemed to buff up quite nicely in the process, gaining a depth it hadn't had before.

Those oversize headlamps have got to go, though.

• Like 16

• RMweb Premium

That's strange, how come?

Assuming you are referring to Hornby not being able to repeat 5011 in the form originally released (or others to the same spec, i.e. without fire iron tunnel), we were led to believe that the tooling which allowed this version to be produced broke and Hornby hasn't replaced it. IIRC its discussed somewhere back in the early days of this thread.

Assuming you are referring to Hornby not being able to repeat 5011 in the form originally released (or others to the same spec, i.e. without fire iron tunnel), we were led to believe that the tooling which allowed this version to be produced broke and Hornby hasn't replaced it. IIRC its discussed somewhere back in the early days of this thread.

That's disappointing, glad I've got a Tintagel Castle at least

• 2 months later...

Etched plates for renaming a Hornby Castle

Fox or Modelmasters? The fox plates are about 50% more, but are advertised as anti-tarnish

I will need to trim off the etched plinth in order to utilise the lined Hornby plinth - is one easier to manipulate than the other?

Experienced insights welcomed...!

Fox or Modelmasters? The fox plates are about 50% more, but are advertised as anti-tarnish

I will need to trim off the etched plinth in order to utilise the lined Hornby plinth - is one easier to manipulate than the other?

Some of the 247 range can be supplied without the backing plate so you can use the original Hornby plinth.

Coded FX

https://www.247developments.co.uk/ex_gwr_names.html

Mike Wiltshire

• RMweb Gold

Modelmaster plates are thicker than Fox and are less likely to distort when removed from their plinth. It's good to see some of the ranges have started to do them without.

• RMweb Gold

I used fox, comes with lining for the plinth, search for “plinth transfer lining”.

I renamed a bunch of Westerns too recently with a mix between Fox and Modelmaster, the model master nameplates are best left undiscussed, I’m not a fan of their transfers either.

Edited by adb968008

Thanks for the advice. I have bit the bullet and gone with Fox, namely their Plinthless option for Clun (which saves cutting) and the plinthed option (plus lining) for Earl of Mount Edgecumbe, due to the different shaped plinth on the earls. I'll see how I get on.....

Further to my note above, and in conjunction with some 'heavy engineering' of a Hornby Castle (blog post(s) to follow I hope as work is complete), I've been exploring the ski slope front running plate. For the more serious cases (those that do not disappear when the body is removed from the chassis) have a sneeking suspicion that this might be due to tension introduced when the running plate is fitted to the boiler, and also responsible for the slight bumps over the cylinders.

The boiler/smokebox is a seperate moulding, glued at the splashers AND under the smokebox. The smokebox itself holds the screw boss that secured the body to the chassis, with the fixing lug passing through the running plate moulding and being glued in the process. My hunch is that the lug might not perfectly align with the hole in running plate, and therefore a small about of compressionis introduced in the plate, resulting in things being slightly twisted.

I am awaiting a scrap body that I can experiment further with, before I risk an otherwise 'good' assembly.

The other solution, as Silver Sidelines, is to slightly pack the area between the middle cylinder cover and the smokebox bottom, he has indicated is as 'A' some way down the post linked in his reply #1020 (below).

EDITED in response to post below!

Edited by G-BOAF
  • Like 1

Thanks GB

.....The other solution, as Silver Sidelines, is to slightly pack the area between the middle cylinder cover and the smokebox bottom, he has indicated is as 'A' some way down this post.

The information and diagramme are at the bottom of this Blog Post http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/blog/880/entry-9955-castles-in-the-air-further-observations-on-the-Hornby-new-castle/

Ray

Sorry not  GWR

I have just bought some 247 plates for a couple of Jubilees.  I wasn't aware that plates were available without backing plates.  In my case I removed the backing plates with a craft knife - the sort with snap off blades.  A relatively quick and easy job. (So easy that I was encouraged to buy some Kings X plates!!)

Some of the 247 range can be supplied without the backing plate so you can use the original Hornby plinth.

I am well pleased.

40619166122_450b3ee065_c.jpg
Bachmann Jubilee Kolhapur 45593

As an aside I have recently been adding a number of etched plates and am frustrated by the fact that the plates are frequently of a different size to the printed name (usually smaller). The plates for the Bachmann Jubilees are all smaller than the printed names. I have had the same problem with Hornby's 'Owen Glendower' where again the etched plates are smaller than the Hornby's printed letters on the deflectors.

Who is correct?

Ray

Edited by Silver Sidelines
  • Like 2

• RMweb Gold

Sorry not  GWR

I have just bought some 247 plates for a couple of Jubilees.  I wasn't aware that plates were available without backing plates.  In my case I removed the backing plates with a craft knife - the sort with snap off blades.  A relatively quick and easy job. (So easy that I was encouraged to buy some Kings X plates!!)

I am well pleased.

40619166122_450b3ee065_c.jpg

Bachmann Jubilee Kolhapur 45593

As an aside I have recently been adding a number of etched plates and am frustrated by the fact that the plates are frequently of a different size to the printed name (usually smaller). The plates for the Bachmann Jubilees are all smaller than the printed names. I have had the same problem with Hornby's 'Owen Glendower' where again the etched plates are smaller than the Hornby's printed letters on the deflectors.

Who is correct?

Ray

Imagine how good Hornby green loco's would be if they used Bachmann paint specifications :)

• Like 1

Imagine how good Hornby green loco's would be if they used Bachmann paint specifications :)

not necessarily. Bachmann had a period when BR green that was decidedly bright. I think it was 2010-2011, and certainly impacted Blue Peter and the 'A' version of evening star. Whether it was actually the colour of the varnish I don't know. But Bachmann is not perfect.

This said Hornby went through a period post 2013, especially with the King and some castles, when the BR green was somewhat off. Recent releases of other classes seem better. Maybe it is one rogue factory?

• RMweb Gold

not necessarily. Bachmann had a period when BR green that was decidedly bright. I think it was 2010-2011, and certainly impacted Blue Peter and the 'A' version of evening star. Whether it was actually the colour of the varnish I don't know. But Bachmann is not perfect.

This said Hornby went through a period post 2013, especially with the King and some castles, when the BR green was somewhat off. Recent releases of other classes seem better. Maybe it is one rogue factory?

I suspect the rogue factory is Refined