Please use M,M&M only for topics that do not fit within other forum areas. All topics posted here await admin team approval to ensure they don't belong elsewhere.

Wright writes.....

The other issue is the amount of slop in RTR chassis. Any appreciable weight behind the drawbar and they waddle about like a drunken duck. All that slop makes for comparatively rapid wear and tear, only increased the more weight that is added to the locomotive. Best to keep them to light duties and even then they benefit from a bag full of washers.

Simple additions such as shaped springy wires to create side-spring control, especially on pony trucks and bogies, can of course steady locos considerably so that they don't wag, but if you also expect your loco to cope with varied check rail settings on different layouts of the same nominal scale / gauge, it can be better to use lightly sprung rubbing strips of some sort to simultaneously transfer a little weight to a bogie or pony truck and to steady its lateral movements. Side spring control can push the wheel flanges quite firmly against the outer rail on a curve and thus strongly increase the desire of fine flanges to go the wrong way at crossing gaps and bad rail joints, whereas a loaded rubbing strip can have a more neutral effect, simply helping to keep the truck and its wheels on the course they were already following...

Edited by gr.king
  • Like 2

Tony et al.,  I had understood from the thread that the RTR front bogie wheels on both the Hornby A4 and A3 were undersize as well as having somewhat oversize flanges that make them look a bit crude (but run well on Code 100 track).  Am I mistaken re the size issue?  I am in the process of upgrading my locos with Brassmaster kits and as part of the upgrade I was going to replace the bogie wheels so i measured the diameter and counted the spokes.  Both the A4 and the A3 I checked have diameters of 12.8mm and 10 spokes.  4' 3' works out at 13mm so that is pretty close.  

FYI, went to the Markits site today because I want to upgrade some B1 bogies.  Bachmann are very defiantly undersize.   Catalog is not available but should shortly.  

Tony et al.,  I had understood from the thread that the RTR front bogie wheels on both the Hornby A4 and A3 were undersize as well as having somewhat oversize flanges that make them look a bit crude (but run well on Code 100 track).  Am I mistaken re the size issue?  I am in the process of upgrading my locos with Brassmaster kits and as part of the upgrade I was going to replace the bogie wheels so i measured the diameter and counted the spokes.  Both the A4 and the A3 I checked have diameters of 12.8mm and 10 spokes.  4' 3' works out at 13mm so that is pretty close.  

FYI, went to the Markits site today because I want to upgrade some B1 bogies.  Bachmann are very defiantly undersize.   Catalog is not available but should shortly.  

Hi 

I am glad you asked this question it is something I have been trying to work out as well for the last few days.

Can anyone confirm the diameter of the front bogie wheels to the Hornby A3's and A4's and also those on the Bachmann A2, either the wheel size excluding or including the flange and what is the diameter of the Markits 3'`2" replacement front bogie wheels.?

Are Markits front bogie wheels larger than Hornby or Bachmann's?

Regards

David

Edited by landscapes

• RMweb Premium

Regarding the Hornby A4/A3 bogie wheels.

I attach a photo taken some time ago of an A4 fitted out with the Brassmasters etch parts and the Markits bogie wheels.

Both make an improvement to the front end.

post-2677-0-52626200-1534582936_thumb.jpg

• Like 16

I attach a photo taken some time ago of an A4 fitted out with the Brassmasters etch parts and the Markits bogie wheels.

attachicon.gifA4 60023 Golden Eagle (9).JPG

Thank you Eric

That is a very big improvement to the A4 front end, it removes the horrible gap over the front bogie wheels.

Would you happen to know if the Markit's bogie wheels are larger or small than the Hornby ones?

Regards

David 

Edited by landscapes

I don't know much about Hornby bogie wheels but the real A4 bogie wheels are 3' 2''. I don't think that it is the diameter of the wheel that is the issue, more the thickness of the tread and flanges. In addition, the LNER bogie wheel has a rather distinctive boss, I'm led to believe this not present in the Hornby version. In other words, it is a clunky, chunky generic wheel of no particular prototype.

• RMweb Gold

attachicon.gifA4 60023 Golden Eagle (9).JPG

That is brilliant.........Mike

• RMweb Premium

Thank you Eric

That is a very big improvement to the A4 front end, it removes the horrible gap over the front bogie wheels.

Would you happen to know if the Markit's bogie wheels are larger or small than the Hornby ones?

Regards

David

David,

I can’t help on the Markit’s wheels as I have used Gibson’s (3’2” 10 spoke ref 4838) when I’ve changed mine over. If it helps I’ve just got the digital calipers out and the Gibson’s measure 12.49 mm vs the Hornby’s 12.84 mm. This is measured across the wheel excluding the flange.

Regards

Andy

Edited to correct measurements after zeroing calipers. Doh!

Edited by thegreenhowards
  • Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Here's the Britannia, with just the balance weights still to be fitted from the Comet parts. I've posed it next to its old tender-drive unit, which I'll

eventually be re-using with a Comet sub-chassis.

post-6720-0-29720500-1534625845_thumb.jpg

I'm more than a little pleased with this as it's my first Pacific, or at least Pacific chassis. I was expecting some problems from the tight clearance

between the bogie wheels and the front brakes, but (presumably because the chassis is electrically dead?) it's not caused any difficulties. The only

minor snag now is a tendency for the rear pony to derail occasionally when reversing, which I hope will be cured by adding some weight to the

truck itself, as it's very light as it stands. I've started adding weight to the body, but I'll take it a bit at a time once I've got a tender and some means

of testing it under load. Compared to the last photo, I shaved a bit off the top of the cylinders to get the chimney sitting about 52mm above

rail height, which I think is more or less right. Being an old Hornby Brit, it's got that high buffer beam which spoils the look of the front-end

a bit, but I can live with that given the model's significance to me.

Apologies for the less than sharp photo; my tripod's in the shed and I couldn't be bothered going out for it so this was shot free-hand at 1/25.

Al

• Like 12

• RMweb Gold

I know you folks like to see things people have made and also that most of you rarely visit the remote reaches of the 2mm area so I thought I would repeat this recent post from my Bath Queensquare thread. The layout is the sort of thing that is often discussed here, a model of a prototype which, due to its being pre-group and 2FS, is almost entirely hand built - the thread I use as a sort of diary of its Sloth like progress.

post-1074-0-15712600-1534753692_thumb.jpg

I thought I had seen all of the pictures H C Casserley took at Bath but at last weekends excellent Wells show I came across this shot of 1667. I new she was a regular at Bath as the late Rev Alan Newman noted her as such but I only had a picture of her at Barrow Road - Bath's parent shed. The picture is dated 1932 but she is still carrying her pre-1928 LMS livery. My model is in the all but identical late Midland livery.

The Barrow road picture has her in a line of engines so I took a guess as to whether she was vacume fitted or not - wrong choice! The other interesting thing to note is the tarpaulin curtain in the cab, presumably to prevent drafts - perfect for hiding a motor if necessary!!

Jerry

Edit to say that the loco has been in service for a couple of years now and I will get round to removing the vac pipes at some point - and fitting a lamp!!

Edited by queensquare
  • Like 18

• RMweb Premium

I know you folks like to see things people have made and also that most of you rarely visit the remote reaches of the 2mm area so I thought I would repeat this recent post from my Bath Queensquare thread. The layout is the sort of thing that is often discussed here, a model of a prototype which, due to its being pre-group and 2FS, is almost entirely hand built - the thread I use as a sort of diary of its Sloth like progress.

attachicon.gif1667 Bath.jpg

I thought I had seen all of the pictures H C Casserley took at Bath but at last weekends excellent Wells show I came across this shot of 1667. I new she was a regular at Bath as the late Rev Alan Newman noted her as such but I only had a picture of her at Barrow Road - Bath's parent shed. The picture is dated 1932 but she is still carrying her pre-1928 LMS livery. My model is in the all but identical late Midland livery.

The Barrow road picture has her in a line of engines so I took a guess as to whether she was vacume fitted or not - wrong choice! The other interesting thing to note is the tarpaulin curtain in the cab, presumably to prevent drafts - perfect for hiding a motor if necessary!!

Jerry

Edit to say that the loco has been in service for a couple of years now and I will get round to removing the vac pipes at some point - and fitting a lamp!!

Hi Jerry, that's a fabulous model. If you ever need to know whether or not an ex Midland loco was fitted I've got the complete set of Summerson and Jenkinson and Essery books and can look that sort of thing up very easily. Just drop me a PM. I'm doing three 1F's for Green Aye, one is unfitted, one vacuum fitted and the other is vacuum and train heating fitted to enable it to warm coaches parked in the bay platform.

Jamie

Here's the Britannia, with just the balance weights still to be fitted from the Comet parts. I've posed it next to its old tender-drive unit, which I'll

eventually be re-using with a Comet sub-chassis.

attachicon.gifbrit3.jpg

I'm more than a little pleased with this as it's my first Pacific, or at least Pacific chassis. I was expecting some problems from the tight clearance

between the bogie wheels and the front brakes, but (presumably because the chassis is electrically dead?) it's not caused any difficulties. The only

minor snag now is a tendency for the rear pony to derail occasionally when reversing, which I hope will be cured by adding some weight to the

truck itself, as it's very light as it stands. I've started adding weight to the body, but I'll take it a bit at a time once I've got a tender and some means

of testing it under load. Compared to the last photo, I shaved a bit off the top of the cylinders to get the chimney sitting about 52mm above

rail height, which I think is more or less right. Being an old Hornby Brit, it's got that high buffer beam which spoils the look of the front-end

a bit, but I can live with that given the model's significance to me.

Apologies for the less than sharp photo; my tripod's in the shed and I couldn't be bothered going out for it so this was shot free-hand at 1/25.

Al

Would it be better to somehow fit a spring between loco and pony-truck, rather than to weight the latter?

• RMweb Gold

Would it be better to somehow fit a spring between loco and pony-truck, rather than to weight the latter?

Hi Brian

I tried adding a very small amount of weight (which can't be seen) and that's done the trick, it seems. I always find my efforts with springing to be a bit hit and miss, alas.

Al

• RMweb Gold

Hi Jerry, that's a fabulous model. If you ever need to know whether or not an ex Midland loco was fitted I've got the complete set of Summerson and Jenkinson and Essery books and can look that sort of thing up very easily. Just drop me a PM. I'm doing three 1F's for Green Aye, one is unfitted, one vacuum fitted and the other is vacuum and train heating fitted to enable it to warm coaches parked in the bay platform.

Jamie

Many thanks Jamie that's very kind. I have copies of all those books and it was simply laziness on my part that I didn't look up if it was fitted or not. I worked to the photo I had of the loco at Barrow road which didnt show the buffer beam and guessed - incorrectly as it turned out. Lesson learnt!

I'm now working on another pair - one for me and one for a customer - though this time they are half cabs. Getting the mechanism in and out of sight has been fun!

post-1074-0-53096000-1534759752_thumb.jpg

Jerry

• Like 8

The LNER Pacific bogie wheels should be a scale 3' 2" - just over 12mm in OO 

Are Markits front bogie wheels larger than Hornby or Bachmann's?

Regards

David

David,

I think so, but not over the flange (which is gross over the Hornby wheel). Like Eric, I've chucked any proprietary bogie wheels away. They don't even make good scrap loads in wagons!

Regards,

Tony. 

Edited by Tony Wright

It was once again our pleasure to host you and Mo, Tony. I'm sorry I didn't get more chance to chat as this show seemed to take a lot of my not so spare time.

I have to agree with your observations above. Paul has become a good friend of SDRM and many of his creations have deservedly graced our exhibitions. What I particularly admire is his 'can't buy it, so I'll make it' attitude, as well as his undoubted skills, and unassumingly helpful attitude when imparting the 'this is how I did it' information.

Best wishes,

Mike

• Like 1

It was good to see both Mike, Tony and Mo on Sunday and I also think that Rosedale was the best layout at this year's show. I think this year was the third Pickering show that I have attended while on holiday as it is the same week as Kate's birthday (and we both love North Yorkshire!).

My apologies to Tony though as we did have a lengthy conversation, which possibly prevented him doing more productive things! Thank you for taking some photographs for me again.

Tony, if you're interested, below is my progress so far on my 'holiday project' that I showed you the etches of on Sunday. It is the 2mm Association etch for an LNER Toad E brake van.

post-943-0-44184900-1534833949_thumb.jpg

• Like 15

It was good to see both Mike, Tony and Mo on Sunday and I also think that Rosedale was the best layout at this year's show. I think this year was the third Pickering show that I have attended while on holiday as it is the same week as Kate's birthday (and we both love North Yorkshire!).

My apologies to Tony though as we did have a lengthy conversation, which possibly prevented him doing more productive things! Thank you for taking some photographs for me again.

Tony, if you're interested, below is my progress so far on my 'holiday project' that I showed you the etches of on Sunday. It is the 2mm Association etch for an LNER Toad E brake van.

attachicon.gifimage.jpg

Steve,

It was good to see you and Kate as well. Lengthy conversations are what I enjoy.

Thanks for the opportunity of taking pictures of your work. Could you explain to readers how you built these, please? 

post-18225-0-21412200-1534836756_thumb.jpg

post-18225-0-38503000-1534836774_thumb.jpg

post-18225-0-21458000-1534836792_thumb.jpg

post-18225-0-83199600-1534836816_thumb.jpg

Lovely work.

Regards,

Tony. 

• Like 18

• RMweb Premium

Having just returned today from a rather splendid weekend at the Pickering Show, I've spent the afternoon processing the pictures I took of Paul Gallon's delightfully-atmospheric Rosedale, in EM.

attachicon.gifRosedale 03.jpg

attachicon.gifRosedale 10.jpg

attachicon.gifRosedale 15.jpg

attachicon.gifRosedale 17.jpg

This is wonderful modelling -self-reliant, fine personal craftsmanship, with just about everything having to made (much from scratch!) and entirely-convincing. Look out for it in a future issue of BRM.

For Mo's and my part, we managed to raise nearly £50.00 for CRUK through my fiddling and sales of items donated. May I please than all those who donated so generously and those with whom I spoke? May I also thank all the members of the Scarborough Club for putting on such a lovely event?

This is a lovely model, rather different from the usual fare and very atmospheric... the sort of layout I could linger at, at an exhibition. Is the layout still incomplete though? It does leave me a little concerned about animal welfare. A gate or stile on the footpath would help prevent the sheep from wandering onto the railway line and coming into harms way, and similarly the chickens would seem to be free to wander on the road or railway, if they were to go exploring. Or is it just my application of modern values, inappropriate in the historical context?

Funny what your mind fixes on, when presented with such modelling excellence!

Phil

Edited by Chamby
  • Like 1

Hello Tony,

Those photographs are stunning, thank you for taking them.

The V1 is a 3D print designed to fit a modified Farish N Class chassis. This was one of the prints that appeared in May's BRM as part of an article about cleaning up 3D prints - thanks again for taking the photographs for this also. The loco was lined using a bow pen and I also made up the boiler bands out of decal paper (shamelessly stealing Tim Watson's method for making these!). The prints for this and the V3 are now available via Shapeways and I'm very happy to see that there are a couple being built by others elsewhere on this forum.

The GCR fish van and GNR brake van are BHE etched kits mounted on Peco chassis. The other two fish vans are test castings of the early and late LNER designs which use 3D printed masters and 2mm Association chassis - edit: I've just noticed that one is on the original 3D printed chassis. I hope to do a run of kits of these two but I've had to do a bit of a resign as my initial ideas didn't translate well during the casting process and I only got a few good castings as a result. The modified masters (complete with the missing chalk board in the early van) are now in my procession and are awaiting their turn in my to do pile. The early (dia. 23?) vans are not quite finished as I need to add the chalk boards and 'FISH' legend to the sides.

As these will run in a fixed rake (and I'm not a fan of the Rapido coupling), the couplings are simply bits of wire formed into hooks and loops which are very reliable and unobtrusive.

Edited by Atso
  • Like 4