Please use M,M&M only for topics that do not fit within other forum areas. All topics posted here await admin team approval to ensure they don't belong elsewhere.

Wright writes.....

Many thanks,

It is my trainset, and rule 1 applies!

Even if a difference of 18 real months makes this scene 'impossible', I really don't mind.

attachicon.gifIntroduction 11.jpg

I modified the Bachmann Deltic on the front of this train I built. Does it look anachronistic? Of course not. Anyway, in the distance, it looks like LB Station is being demolished!

Regards

Tony

Hi

Great photo Tony

I was not a great diesel fan in my early train spotting days around 1962 but the Deltics were something different, in my opinion a modern version of the LNER Pacific’s big, green and powerful.

Great photos as usual please keep them coming, very inspirational.

Regards

David

Edited by landscapes

• RMweb Premium

I know I have jokingly said I am cleaning the wheels on my Deltics and Brush 4s for a "modern image" session on Little Bytham. It would look good but wouldn't be right time wise, and as pointed out most the stock would be titivated RTR. 

It would also be quite boring for the period 1965-77, most trains including the small amount of freight would be in the hands of Brush 4s. There would be some Brush 2 and Deltic trains with an odd English Electric type 4 and a Peak. Depending on the year the stock would by mainly Mk1, then Mk2a followed by Mk2d. No local trains, no DMJUs. After '77 HST would dominate. A lot of freight was diverted down the joint line to March during this period.

There is a call for a ECML (the GNR bit) diesel based layout but within the London commuter belt with DMUs, loco hauled non-gangway trains, the Cambridge beer trains, far more variety and a greater frequency of trains. 

• Like 4

In the latest issue of BRM, there is an article of mine describing my building of a pair of V2s (which I'm very pleased with). 

For what I assume are space restrictions, a close-up shot of the Jamieson V2 was not included. I don't mind this (I've sat in the Editor's chair, after all), but the caption for the picture mentioned it had been painted by Ian Rathbone, which was then not acknowledged. 

post-18225-0-80635900-1534232400_thumb.jpg

This to acknowledge this fact. I would not like folk getting the impression it was all my own work. 

Edited by Tony Wright
  • Like 14

I know I have jokingly said I am cleaning the wheels on my Deltics and Brush 4s for a "modern image" session on Little Bytham. It would look good but wouldn't be right time wise, and as pointed out most the stock would be titivated RTR. 

It would also be quite boring for the period 1965-77, most trains including the small amount of freight would be in the hands of Brush 4s. There would be some Brush 2 and Deltic trains with an odd English Electric type 4 and a Peak. Depending on the year the stock would by mainly Mk1, then Mk2a followed by Mk2d. No local trains, no DMJUs. After '77 HST would dominate. A lot of freight was diverted down the joint line to March during this period.

There is a call for a ECML (the GNR bit) diesel based layout but within the London commuter belt with DMUs, loco hauled non-gangway trains, the Cambridge beer trains, far more variety and a greater frequency of trains. 

'Quite boring'!!!!!!!!!!!

I presume, in my innocence, Clive, you've never stood on any of the three overbridges at Little Bytham (four if you include the one at Careby) between the years 1965 and 1977? 

To stand on Marsh Bridge (the original GNR one), just south of the site of the station, in the early- '70s, with my camera pointing southwards, glancing over my shoulder to see the Down fast peg come off and wait in anticipation; how could that be boring? In anticipation of what? With ears pricked; yes, the unmistakable Napier drone could be heard - opening up the taps as the mighty EE Type 5 began the climb at Essendine (four miles away). Then, that wonderful bulbous nose appearing, racing through the centre span of the bridge at Careby, and two 'V'-shaped plumes of exhaust as the pace quickens. A quick firing of the shutter, a glance at the name (PINZA - a real racehorse) as the equine thoroughbred blasted beneath me, a rapid turn around to fire the shutter again as the 12 carriages were whisked easily past Bytham 'box and on between the abutments of the MR/M&GNR girder bridge, then, as the Deltic curved to the left to disappear from view, the clatter as the board went back to 'on'. How could that experience ever be described as boring? 

Today, yes, with overhead electricity stuff cluttering and infesting the scene, no mechanical signals, no 'box, no points and, even though some of the sets are now branded 'LNER', that awful, in my opinion, (ex-Virgin) livery still present. I suppose the HSTs make a good-enough noise (as do the 91s, to be fair), especially when accompanied by a toot from the drivers I know as they fizz past. 

Regards,

Tony. 

Edited by Tony Wright
  • Like 8

Such a shame your V2 article is in this month's BRM Tony.  They've turned quite a bit of the mag over to 3d gimmickry which I can't stand; either in print or (especially) at the movies. I find wearing 2 pairs of glasses to be quite painful after a few minutes.   

However, as usual there's plenty first class photography on this thread to spur me on.  How about a dystopian future where the LMS took over the whole network and Little Bytham turned Crimson Lake?  That would be something to see  :jester:

Graeme

• Like 1

I hope I never see any 3D gimmickry applied to pictures of 1938 Little Bytham!

Models of V2s puzzle and sometimes annoy me. Apart from some well known kits apparently having cab sides that are too tall, and the only OO RTR example having completely the wrong shape and girth of boiler, so many hand-built examples seem to portray one particular feature in widely differing ways: Some are built with the front peak of the v-fronted cab roof flush with the top of the firebox clothing, some have it standing just proud, others have it well above the firebox clothing. This seems to me to be one of the distinctive features of a V2 and there's only one correct relationship.

Edited by gr.king
  • Like 1

• RMweb Premium

How much of that does Hornsey Broadway do? (I haven’t seen it yet).

Hi Jonathan

Yeap, that is one layout that fits the bill very well. Just I forgot about it. Sorry to Keir.

I was thinking of somewhere like Hadley Wood or Wood Green or even Sandy after the Bedford line had closed but the station remaining a bottleneck.

• Like 1

Today, yes, with overhead electricity stuff cluttering and infesting the scene, no mechanical signals, no 'box, no points and, even though some of the sets are now branded 'LNER', that awful, in my opinion, (ex-Virgin) livery still present.

You forgot to mention the all encroaching vegetation, Tony. Notwithstanding all the other things you cite (which I 100% agree with), the very fact that you can't even get a clear view of many stretches of the modern day railway does rather limit opportunities for lineside observation and photography.

• RMweb Premium

'Quite boring'!!!!!!!!!!!

I presume, in my innocence, Clive, you've never stood on any of the three overbridges at Little Bytham (four if you include the one at Careby) between the years 1965 and 1977? 

To stand on Marsh Bridge (the original GNR one), just south of the site of the station, in the early- '70s, with my camera pointing southwards, glancing over my shoulder to see the Down fast peg come off and wait in anticipation; how could that be boring? In anticipation of what? With ears pricked; yes, the unmistakable Napier drone could be heard - opening up the taps as the mighty EE Type 5 began the climb at Essendine (four miles away). Then, that wonderful bulbous nose appearing, racing through the centre span of the bridge at Careby, and two 'V'-shaped plumes of exhaust as the pace quickens. A quick firing of the shutter, a glance at the name (PINZA - a real racehorse) as the equine thoroughbred blasted beneath me, a rapid turn around to fire the shutter again as the 12 carriages were whisked easily past Bytham 'box and on between the abutments of the MR/M&GNR girder bridge, then, as the Deltic curved to the left to disappear from view, the clatter as the board went back to 'on'. How could that experience ever be described as boring? 

Today, yes, with overhead electricity stuff cluttering and infesting the scene, no mechanical signals, no 'box, no points and, even though some of the sets are now branded 'LNER', that awful, in my opinion, (ex-Virgin) livery still present. I suppose the HSTs make a good-enough noise (as do the 91s, to be fair), especially when accompanied by a toot from the drivers I know as they fizz past. 

Regards,

Tony. 

Hello Tony

I was thinking of limited number of RTR model classes with a limited number of RTR types of coaches not the real location. All real locations can be exciting even when I lived opposite the Braintree Branch in the late 70s, Monday morning saw the only freight working each week, just before I left for work, a class 37 with a collection of fertiliser wagons.

• RMweb Premium

Hi Phil

It doesn't matter if they are blue, green, pink with yellow dots, the level of detail and performance form modern RTR model diesel locomotives is so good who in their right mind would even think about kit, let alone scratch building them. Pity in many ways as I am sure loads of modellers would enjoy making diesels but why bother.

Depends on the loco.

WR PWMs need kits

• RMweb Premium

Depends on the loco.

WR PWMs need kits

Hi Martin

I have a Trix model of the Ruston Hornsby 165hp Diesel Electric 0-6-0

https://www.vectis.co.uk/trix-twin-3-rail-244-diesel-shunter-set-containing-0-6-0-br-green-ruston-hornsby-diesel-shunter-and-grey-shunters-truck-both-front-and-rear-lamps-on-loco-are-insitu-condition-excellent-to-excellent-plus-with-truck-good-to-good-plus-in-generally-good-box_3

Edit, not my model, that is a box under tons of other stuff.

Edited by Clive Mortimore
  • Like 1

• RMweb Premium

...How about a dystopian future where the LMS took over the whole network and Little Bytham turned Crimson Lake?  That would be something to see  :jester:

Graeme

. Recreating the 1948 locomotive trials might be a legitimate option... that might be within Tony’s gift at some time. 46236 wasn’t in crimson livery at the time, but her black with crimson and cream lining (with freshly painted ‘BRITISH RAILWAYS’ on the tender sides) would make for a mighty fine sight in front of the dynamometer car. Then there’s also a Merchant Navy, rebuilt Royal Scot and (cough) King Henry VI.

Phil

• Like 4

• RMweb Premium

Mine is from the Edge family

Very nice kit, I do need to finish it!

• RMweb Premium

Late 70s ECML, what does it need?

Deltics 22 should do

47s various types including first 20

40s

Peaks

Apart from ECML traffic further north the inter regional stuff.

Stock

Lots of Airfix aircons, meaning lots of Laserglaze, reprofiled sides, full repaints, I worked out a basic detail on an Airfix is about 4 hours work, add in window frames, or conversions a lot more. At least ECML is 2D.

Bachmann 2As are easy

HSTs Hornby are OK, it looks like an HST

• RMweb Premium

How about a dystopian future where the LMS took over the whole network and Little Bytham turned Crimson Lake? 

Dystopian? That depends on your view of nationalisation of course. The Euston men got their way with crimson lake carriages after a false start, to say nothing of late Midland livery on the vast majority of locomotives, with LNWR livery on some mixed-traffic types. 

• Like 1

I have one of those as well.  Conversion  to 2 rail was easy, just changing the collector shoes, but I don't think it would get on very well with Peco bullhead track.

The box has the price written on it - 68/1.

Edited by 2750Papyrus
  • Like 2

I don't see why even Little Bytham might not play host to a what if scenario once in a while ... so long as all is internally consistent - why not?

Fascinated by your comments on Deltics. Handsome though they undoubtedly are, I would not have called your  assertion ..."These are my favourite locomotives of all time (ECML steam classes included)".

Tell us more and also why?

Tim

Edited by Lecorbusier

I don't see why even Little Bytham might not play host to a what if scenario once in a while ... so long as all is internally consistent - why not?

Fascinated by your comments on Deltics. Handsome though they undoubtedly are, I would not have called your  assertion ..."These are my favourite locomotives of all time (ECML steam classes included)".

Tell us more and also why?

Tim

With pleasure, Tim,

When the production Deltics first appeared, I was going on 15 - really growing out of just trainspotting (the collecting of numbers) and growing into a 'railway enthusiast' (of sorts). 

My first encounter with diesels on the ECML was in 1958, three years prior to that, when the first EE Type 4s appeared. At first, they featured on the contemporary prestige trains, but they were poor tools - under-powered and way overweight. By 1960, those prestige trains were back in the hands of the RA9 steam stuff. Not only that, members of that same EE Type Class were appearing on the WCML trains - how could that be right? The same class on both principal Anglo-Scottish routes! Coincidentally with what was happening to the east, by the summer of 1960, big steam locos (in the form of Semis) were back on the hardest jobs! 

The WR Warships were more interesting - at least they didn't work all over the place, and their presence at Crewe brought them from South Wales or the deep SW, which was appropriate. But, they were poor, especially with regard to reliability (a day at Temple Meads in the summer of 1960 saw loads of Warship-hauled trains having to be piloted by very grubby steam locos). The station announcer kept on saying that trains were being delayed by 'loco-failure'. What she should have said was 'diesel' loco failure. 

You'll gather from the above that I was less-than-impressed with the 'shock of the new'. 

Then, on going back to Retford in late 1961, what did I see? My first production Deltic - D9015 TULYAR fairly racing through on a southbound express! Here was a real replacement for my ECML steam favourites. Faster, far more powerful, giving a wonderful sound - all with looks to match. My first ride behind one, a couple of years later, to Doncaster, proved beyond doubt that these were brilliant machines. The acceleration out of Retford was incredible - faster than any A1 or A4. 

Not only that, they were unique to the ECML - no mucking about being a see-anywhere type (like the Brush Type 4s), but a thoroughbred, fully in the ECML tradition. 

In the next decade (when they were in drab blue) I took pictures of them along the whole length of the ECML (many now published). I topped Stoke Bank behind BALLYMOSS at over 105 mph in the hot summer of 1976, and shook the driver's hand at Grantham. The sparks showering down from the interior of Stoke Tunnel would have given credit to any steam loco. 

I saw my ECML steam favourites mainly through the eyes of one of tender years (I was 20 when BLUE PETER was withdrawn). I saw the Deltics into manhood, seeing them through more knowledgeable (and appreciative) eyes. Looking back, on seeing an A1 raising the echoes on Gamston Bank, accelerating after its Retford stop on a heavy Leeds express was fantastic. Seeing a Deltic doing the same was equally fantastic, only it arrived much earlier, was much louder and was going much faster. Need I say more?

Regards,

Tony. 

Edited by Tony Wright
  • Like 12