Please use M,M&M only for topics that do not fit within other forum areas. All topics posted here await admin team approval to ensure they don't belong elsewhere.

Wright writes.....

• RMweb Premium

Ah yes, the sound!  For me, it was the first notch up under the roof of Newcastle Central, amplifying the already overpowering sound. It shook the gut, and left an indelible print on my mind.

That from a dedicated steam man!  (who admittedly looked after much larger diesel engines professionally in his first career).

• Like 1

Tony

What's your view on the HSTs? I mentioned to Edward that they were being withdrawn when we were at Didcot a few weeks ago and he was genuinely sad and hoped someone would preserve them. They are the lineal descendant of both the western hydraulics and the Deltics and can be just as impressive, even though they are basically DMUs, when passing at full speed through a station or as they accelerate out of a station. Although I collected their numbers, I never held them in the same affection as the loco classes I spotted yet somehow I too am feeling slightly whimsical as they start to pass out of service.

David

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium

My first encounter with a Deltic was a night sleeper from West Hartlepool to Kings Cross hauled by Alycidon. While I passed most things at the interview I attended my eyes failed me - no piloting so no RAF..

My last encounter was by sound--- the last Deltic hauled sleeper from Edinburgh to Kings Cross used the Hertford Loop and a friend was on the loco. On Ilkley Moor ba'tat rang out from the horns...unfortunately it was about 4:30 in the morning..

what magnificent machines they were.

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium

I always loved the Deltics.  They were somethng different.   They seemed to bulge with power.   As a young bobby I used to work the Holbeck area and often used to watch trains heading off to London over the viaduct line to Geldard Road Junction.  The curved part of the viaduct was restricted to 10 mph then on the straight the limit went up to 65. I am told that Holbeck fitters had devised a modification that allowed the Deltics to power all 6 motors from one engine to avoid slipping on the curved part of the viaduct.  I used to sit in my Vauxhall Viva panda and watch them fire up the 2nd engine as they ran off the curve then power away down the straight.  How I wished I was on that train.   Magnificent machines.

The HST's were also great trains and with our clubrooms being next to the line it was great to hear Valenta's on full chat as they accelerated south. However I have a sneeking admiration for the 91's.   Working in Wakefield I used to see them going north out of Westgate and in profile they seemed to want to go fast.   Worthy sucessors to a long line of East Coast speedsters.

Jamie

• Like 5

Haunting Deltic sounds (apologies if I've posted these before - well worth a second listen if I have)

(cough, splutter cough !!)

It's a bit boring over here (Wigan) on the WCML these days - Pendolinos Voyagers EMU's & DMU's, and the diesel powered freight locos don't excite. There are a couple of long and heavy container trains with double headed electric locos that are very noticeable, especially northbound up Boars Head bank. They go up (and down) at one hell of a speed !!

I still miss the Britannias though !!!

Brit15

• Like 6

• RMweb Premium

I am going to be the odd man out, again. Deltics were impressive but I was never a fan. I don't dislike them but they are not top of my list of favorite locos. I suppose my favorite class of diesel locomotives are the Peaks, closely followed by Type 3s, BRCW/Sulzer Bo-Bos , 2000s, BR/Sulzer Bo-Bos, Type 2s, BTHs, Type 1s, Baby Deltics, Westerns, Claytons, 350s, and Hymeks. 

Of course the best ever looking British locomotives were Deeley's 990 class 4, 4-4-0. Which I have only ever seen in photos, the closest has been the MR Compound in real life.

• Like 3

• RMweb Premium

Thanks David,

Ah, the production Deltics. 

These are my favourite locomotives of all time (ECML steam classes included). I saw them when they were brand new, up until the end of their working lives 20 years later. I photographed them, rode behind them, I've written books about them, but I've never built a model of one. All I've done is to modify RTR examples - first Lima's, then Bachmann's. Though I've built hundreds of their steam predecessors, I don't have the skills to fully-build a model of an EE Type 5. 

Still, the modified RTR ones turned all right (or, at least, I hope so). It's a great shame LB Station was closed and demolished 18 months before the Deltics were racing through the site. If they'd have been built on time, and the station had lasted into the '60s, then scenes like this would have been possible. 

attachicon.gifDeltic D9003.jpg

Here, D9003 has the Up Flying Scotsman (complete with two Thompson cars in its formation).

attachicon.gifDeltic D9021.jpg

And here, D9021 has the Down FS (actually the same rake). 

Both these Deltics are modified Bachmann examples, 'fiddled with' by me a few years ago. I'm told the model has some flaws, but it's better than anything I could produce. 

I think they look rather good passing through Little Bytham, even though the purist historians will have a field day.

Regards,

Tony. 

Hello Tony

Can you cut plastic card to size and square? If so you can build a Deltic.

I always loved the Deltics.  They were somethng different.   They seemed to bulge with power.   As a young bobby I used to work the Holbeck area and often used to watch trains heading off to London over the viaduct line to Geldard Road Junction.  The curved part of the viaduct was restricted to 10 mph then on the straight the limit went up to 65. I am told that Holbeck fitters had devised a modification that allowed the Deltics to power all 6 motors from one engine to avoid slipping on the curved part of the viaduct.  I used to sit in my Vauxhall Viva panda and watch them fire up the 2nd engine as they ran off the curve then power away down the straight.  How I wished I was on that train.   Magnificent machines.

The HST's were also great trains and with our clubrooms being next to the line it was great to hear Valenta's on full chat as they accelerated south. However I have a sneeking admiration for the 91's.   Working in Wakefield I used to see them going north out of Westgate and in profile they seemed to want to go fast.   Worthy sucessors to a long line of East Coast speedsters.

Jamie

I always thought substituting a Spey for the Napiers might have been interesting but by then things seemed to be going in a different direction.

So you lot like big diesels.  We had the Cromptons, the size of a Class 2, officially Class 3, expected to keep time on a Class 4 duty when the Warship failed - as it usually did.  Sort of the Jack Russell Terrier of the diesel world.

Bill

• Like 4

Thanks David,

These are my favourite locomotives of all time (ECML steam classes included). I saw them when they were brand new, up until the end of their working lives 20 years later. I photographed them, rode behind them, I've written books about them, but I've never built a model of one. All I've done is to modify RTR examples - first Lima's, then Bachmann's. Though I've built hundreds of their steam predecessors, I don't have the skills to fully-build a model of an EE Type 5. 

Still, the modified RTR ones turned all right (or, at least, I hope so). It's a great shame LB Station was closed and demolished 18 months before the Deltics were racing through the site. If they'd have been built on time, and the station had lasted into the '60s, then scenes like this would have been possible. 

Here, D9003 has the Up Flying Scotsman (complete with two Thompson cars in its formation).

Both these Deltics are modified Bachmann examples, 'fiddled with' by me a few years ago. I'm told the model has some flaws, but it's better than anything I could produce. 

I think they look rather good passing through Little Bytham, even though the purist historians will have a field day.

Regards,

Tony. 

Hi Tony

You surprise me when you say that the Deltic's were your favourite locomotives of all time, I was convinced that any of the Gresley, Thompson or Peppercorn Pacific's would have been your favourite locomotives.

I do like the production Deltic's but give me an ECML pacific any time, in my transporting days I resented the Deltic's as I saw them replacing main line steam Locomotives.

But like yourself I started to photograph them at Kings Cross in the late 1970's early 1980's as I knew their days like steam were numbered.

I do have one Bachmann Deltic No 9003 Meld plus my favourite diesel of all time even though I never saw it in service, thats the Prototype Deltic DP1 and I also have one of those it was always a must for me.

Again some more excellent Deltic photos thank you for posting them.

Regards

David

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

So you lot like big diesels.  We had the Cromptons, the size of a Class 2, officially Class 3, expected to keep time on a Class 4 duty when the Warship failed - as it usually did.  Sort of the Jack Russell Terrier of the diesel world.

Bill

We had them in the 80s on the Cardiff-Crewe trains, and they were pretty lively as I remember, proper pocket rockets in the Hymek tradition that would run rings around a 31 twice it's size.

At the risk of upsetting a lot of people, I never liked Deltics and thought they were ugly, but not ugly enough to be charming on account of it.  But that sound!  The first time I encountered one I looked around for the multi-engined aircraft, and you couldn't deny they had 'presence'.  But the ugliness was only made worse by the plain blue fye livery.

But if you want a Jack Russell of a loco, I would have to suggest the GWR 56xx; they always reminded me of terriers straining at the leash with their noses to the ground and their heads waggling from side to side if you saw them plugging away up a gradient with a good string of empty minerals in tow.

• RMweb Premium

The sound of a Deltic is so evocative of my youth. I remember my first encounter, '78 or '79. 'Hit me with your rhythm stick' was a popular tune of the day. I recall my brother and I trying to sing it as our Dad walked us through Finsbury Park to the viewing platform by the ECML, north of FP station. I would have been aged five or so. My little legs dangling over the wall, Dad with a gentle hold on me. Many 47's, peaks and the like, but then a mysterious, distant drone growing.. A sense of anticipation tempered with trepidation and.....

Kapow! A blast of the two tones as she tore past and I would never be the same. For years after I would badger him; 'Dad! Can we go and see the 'sad eyes' train?'

I went back recently. The little viewing platform had been torn down, and all of a sudden I felt old. I should have left it in the memory.

Still, a trip on Alycidon with the missus next month should see me wibbling like an idiot. I have informed her that it may 'get a bit dusty'.

Regards,

Bernie

Edited by Finsbury
  • Like 4

Thanks David,

Regards,

Tony. 

Some of us have to maintain a purist historical perspective, otherwise, we would just be playing choo-choo, sorry GRR GRR.

post-26757-0-81952000-1534315601_thumb.jpg

• Like 4

Hi Tony

You surprise me when you say that the Deltic's were your favourite locomotives of all time, I was convinced that any of the Gresley, Thompson or Peppercorn Pacific's would have been your favourite locomotives.

I do like the production Deltic's but give me an ECML pacific any time, in my transporting days I resented the Deltic's as I saw them replacing main line steam Locomotives.

But like yourself I started to photograph them at Kings Cross in the late 1970's early 1980's as I knew their days like steam were numbered.

I do have one Bachmann Deltic No 9003 Meld plus my favourite diesel of all time even though I never saw it in service, thats the Prototype Deltic DP1 and I also have one of those it was always a must for me.

Again some more excellent Deltic photos thank you for posting them.

Regards

David

I hope my reasons for making the Deltics my number 1 have been explained, David. 

My first photographs of them were taken when they were in green, with several still to be named.

I saw the Prototype Deltic, first at Hartford on the WCML and then at Retford (where it broke down). I have a model of the former from donkeys' years ago (Kitmaster/Lima/bits and pieces), which I run regularly on LB. It's actually eight months or so too late for it to be running in the summer of 1958, because it came to the ECML in February 1959 - a month before the M&GNR closed as a through route. 

post-18225-0-89325100-1534315419_thumb.jpg

Here it is on its regular job on LB, the Down White Rose (the leading BCK has now been replaced with the more appropriate BSO). 

The first EE Type 4s appeared on the ECML in 1958 (D201/6-9), and I saw these arrive. After their failures on the long-distance, crack trains of the day, The Master Cutler became a typical job - prestigious, but nowhere near as taxing.

post-18225-0-96430200-1534315629_thumb.jpg

This is the rendition of that scenario on LB. The loco is a much-modified Lima example - rewheeled, new cab windows, etc, and a complete repaint. It was done by my elder son, Tom, in his late-teens. 

In answer to some earlier questions......

I suppose I can cut Plastikard 'square', but I dislike the medium. Bits of it get everywhere, sticking (by static?) to any surface. Even cut 'square' (though I doubt if anything on a Deltic is thus), would the end result be 'better' than a current RTR one? In my case, no. Without being too pompous, I reckon I can build a metal loco kit which is 'superior' to any RTR equivalent, especially in terms of performance. So, that's what I do. What's the point in spending hours and hours on making something which is inferior to what you can buy straight from the box? Other than it could well be cheaper if (like you, Clive) it's built from scratch, and there's always the 'pleasure' of having done it for oneself - which is priceless, to be fair.. 

HSTs? Without doubt the most successful train ever to run on Britain's railways. They are impressive, especially at speed, but are they really locos? Though they're 'one-ended' (like most steam locos), they're really just the motive parts of units, and I find it hard to get excited about that. 

As for the 91s, they are locomotives (even though they run as part of a unit), but the fact of their needing overhead power supply militates entirely against them in my book. The GNR main line used to be crossed by scores of beautiful, mellow three-arch bridges. Not now; apart from a few taller survivors, anonymous concrete rafts now serve to carry road traffic, and getting a decent picture from these is nigh impossible because of all those nasty wires in the way.  

Regarding more recent 'locomotives', the 66s are far too numerous and ubiquitous for my generating any interest in them. As for the 'latest' types, what has happened to the designers' 'eye'? I admit, without the 'disguising' help of the original two-tone green livery on the Deltics, their slab-like bodysides could appear ponderous, but I saw one modern green(ish) big diesel quite recently at Oxford which is the ugliest thing I've ever witnessed on rails. It was on a very long (and impressive) freight, but, my word! What it was, I have no idea, but are those types made particularly ugly? 

And, as for modern liveries - since when have sparkly squiggles been deemed appropriate for locomotives? Some of them look like the sort of things applied to kids' faces and dresses at children's parties! 

Regards,

Tony

Edited by Tony Wright
  • Like 7

I saw my ECML steam favourites mainly through the eyes of one of tender years (I was 20 when BLUE PETER was withdrawn). I saw the Deltics into manhood, seeing them through more knowledgeable (and appreciative) eyes. Looking back, on seeing an A1 raising the echoes on Gamston Bank, accelerating after its Retford stop on a heavy Leeds express was fantastic. Seeing a Deltic doing the same was equally fantastic, only it arrived much earlier, was much louder and was going much faster. Need I say more?

Regards,

Tony. 

Experience and nostalgia it would appear are powerful drivers.

Sadly, my only real experience (excluding preservation lines) beyond today's railways are frustrating times on intercity and London commuting during the 80s and 90s - not periods I have any visceral nostalgia for and no wish to model (expensive, dirty, late and I often had to stand). I therefore see these things with the eye of a distant observer through the prism of history.

My appreciation tends to be a mixture of aesthetics (personal taste), drama, historical richness (variety) and a weak childhood loyalty to the Peak District.

Now from this standpoint the Deltics are certainly impressive machines and self evidently more advanced than steam, but for me a little lacking (I just don't warm to them). An analogous comparison might be a BMW M3 when compared to an Austin Healy or AC Cobra. .... luckily I don't have to drive or fire steam engines.

And even then I find myself drawn to the earlier locos, whether the pristine express or simple workhorses.

simple workhorse exhibit 1.

post-25312-0-53450400-1534317091_thumb.jpg

simple workhorse exhibit 2.

post-25312-0-79735400-1534317224_thumb.jpg

Perhaps the Deltics along with the other early diesels still need more time and maybe even a change of technology for there full allure to become evident to me ... ie when they become a window onto a past way of life - who knows. 

Edited by Lecorbusier
  • Like 7

• RMweb Premium

Sorry everyone (except Johnster) but I really disliked Deltics (except for the sound)  I disliked all diesels except, perhaps strangely, Class 37s and 03s. I disliked DMUs even more and most of all I really hated all EMUs that were built post 1960ish.

As for today's plastic rubbish then I just have no words to describe my feelings..................(does not include the not so plastic, remaining IC125s)

Note use of past tense in the first paragraph.

Phil

Edited by Mallard60022
  • Like 2

Sorry everyone (except Johnster) but I really disliked Deltics (except for the sound)  I disliked all diesels except, perhaps strangely, Class 37s and 03s. I disliked DMUs even more and most of all I really hated all EMUs that were built post 1960ish.

As for today's plastic rubbish then I just have no words to describe my feelings..................(does not include the not so plastic, remaining IC125s)

Phil

Cheer up Phil,

according to conspiracy theory .com, the Deltics are actually rebodied A4's. Having peaked under the skirts of one myself, I can confirm that this is the case. Apparently, the air horns are really loudspeakers set to maximum amplification and blasting out the war cry of an enraged elephant to disguise the familiar syncopated beat.

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium

I hope my reasons for making the Deltics my number 1 have been explained, David. 

My first photographs of them were taken when they were in green, with several still to be named.

I saw the Prototype Deltic, first at Hartford on the WCML and then at Retford (where it broke down). I have a model of the former from donkeys' years ago (Kitmaster/Lima/bits and pieces), which I run regularly on LB. It's actually eight months or so too late for it to be running in the summer of 1958, because it came to the ECML in February 1959 - a month before the M&GNR closed as a through route. 

attachicon.gifTrains 05 The White Rose.jpg

Here it is on its regular job on LB, the Down White Rose (the leading BCK has now been replaced with the more appropriate BSO). 

The first EE Type 4s appeared on the ECML in 1958 (D201/6-9), and I saw these arrive. After their failures on the long-distance, crack trains of the day, The Master Cutler became a typical job - prestigious, but nowhere near as taxing.

attachicon.gifTrains 10 The Master Cutler.jpg

This is the rendition of that scenario on LB. The loco is a much-modified Lima example - rewheeled, new cab windows, etc, and a complete repaint. It was done by my elder son, Tom, in his late-teens. 

In answer to some earlier questions......

I suppose I can cut Plastikard 'square', but I dislike the medium. Bits of it get everywhere, sticking (by static?) to any surface. Even cut 'square' (though I doubt if anything on a Deltic is thus), would the end result be 'better' than a current RTR one? In my case, no. Without being too pompous, I reckon I can build a metal loco kit which is 'superior' to any RTR equivalent, especially in terms of performance. So, that's what I do. What's the point in spending hours and hours on making something which is inferior to what you can buy straight from the box? Other than it could well be cheaper if (like you, Clive) it's built from scratch, and there's always the 'pleasure' of having done it for oneself - which is priceless, to be fair.. 

HSTs? Without doubt the most successful train ever to run on Britain's railways. They are impressive, especially at speed, but are they really locos? Though they're 'one-ended' (like most steam locos), they're really just the motive parts of units, and I find it hard to get excited about that. 

As for the 91s, they are locomotives (even though they run as part of a unit), but the fact of their needing overhead power supply militates entirely against them in my book. The GNR main line used to be crossed by scores of beautiful, mellow three-arch bridges. Not now; apart from a few taller survivors, anonymous concrete rafts now serve to carry road traffic, and getting a decent picture from these is nigh impossible because of all those nasty wires in the way.  

Regarding more recent 'locomotives', the 66s are far too numerous and ubiquitous for my generating any interest in them. As for the 'latest' types, what has happened to the designers' 'eye'? I admit, without the 'disguising' help of the original two-tone green livery on the Deltics, their slab-like bodysides could appear ponderous, but I saw one modern green(ish) big diesel quite recently at Oxford which is the ugliest thing I've ever witnessed on rails. It was on a very long (and impressive) freight, but, my word! What it was, I have no idea, but are those types made particularly ugly? 

And, as for modern liveries - since when have sparkly squiggles been deemed appropriate for locomotives? Some of them look like the sort of things applied to kids' faces and dresses at children's parties! 

Regards,

Tony

Hello Tony

The paragraph I have made bold highlights quite a few points I have recently raised. First is building your own is great fun (and cheaper). There is no point in making something that you can buy that is better in looks and performance, except the fun element. Next time I visit can you teach me how to cut plastic card square, please.

Phil

Hi Phil

I thought Mr Wright's post was a grumpy one.

How can anyone hate EMUs? Especially AM9 Clacton and Walton sets, as powerful as a Deltic, as fast as a Deltic, better acceleration, the most comfortable ride of any EMU, on a par with an HST and to top the lot they were only outer suburban units.

post-16423-0-79196800-1534323332_thumb.png

Anyone want drawings of the OLE above the class 309, I have drawn them.

Edited by Clive Mortimore
  • Like 8

• RMweb Premium

Hello Tony

The paragraph I have made bold highlights quite a few points I have recently raised. First is building your own is great fun (and cheaper). There is no point in making something that you can buy that is better in looks and performance, except the fun element. Next time I visit can you teach me how to cut plastic card square, please.

Hi Phil

How can anyone hate EMUs? Especially AM9 Clacton and Walton sets, as powerful as a Deltic, as fast as a Deltic, better acceleration, the most comfortable ride of any EMU, on a par with an HST and to top the lot they were only outer suburban units.

attachicon.gif7.png

I always thought of the 4REP's as electric deltics.  Those curved equipment boxes under the underframe had the similar bulging shape to the body to my 18 year old eyes when I had a gap year in London. And could they go.

Jamie

10 July 1968, staying in Corbridge for a short hol with Mum & Dad, they walked Hadrians Wall, I was off to Newcastle and down to Darlington - Deltic hauled of course !!

post-6884-0-52833300-1534325154_thumb.jpg

post-6884-0-96121300-1534324645_thumb.jpg

post-6884-0-61336700-1534324710_thumb.jpg

post-6884-0-88592900-1534324767_thumb.jpg

I've got to leave old Durham town,
I've got to leave old Durham town.
And the leavings gonna get me down.

When I was a boy, I spent my time,
Spotting on the banks of the river Tyne.
Watching the Delitics going down the line, they were leaving,
Leaving, leaving, leaving, leaving me.

I've got to leave old Durham town.
And the leavings gonna get me down.

Ancient & modern at Darlington

post-6884-0-84913500-1534324837_thumb.jpg

The day before I went to West Hartlepool in search of steam - a year too late, still an interesting trip - but that's another story !!

Brit15

• Like 17

• RMweb Gold

Hello Tony

Hi Phil

attachicon.gif7.png

The 312s are nice but nothing EMU style comes close to the  309s :)

I do like an HST - and a Deltic - and an A4 - and an A3/A1. Thoroughbreds the lot of them.

I don't know enought about the Thompson or Peppercorn pacifics to have much of an opinion on those.

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

I always thought of the 4REP's as electric deltics.  Those curved equipment boxes under the underframe had the similar bulging shape to the body to my 18 year old eyes when I had a gap year in London. And could they go.

Jamie

Hi Jamie

4 REPs had the power and the speed and comfort wise were a vast improvement on the dirty worn out Bulleid coaches they replaced. Traveling on them to and from Southampton when the army had me posted to Marchwood was OK but when the army sent me to Colchester and I experienced AM9s travel for the first time, wow the difference. After leaving the army I  worked in Chlemsford and lived in Witham, I was lucky to have an AM9 as my homeward commute.  

The AM9s were intended for the ECML, which was to have been electrocuted as part of the modernisation plan. When that was put on hold the ER was allowed to have the Deltics as a stop gap. Just like the HSTs were a stop gap for the APT, and the ECML being electrified. When playing in Tony's scout hut I do stop to listen to the second engine roar past when an HST is up on the embankment.

Enough of this EMU natter.

Edited by Clive Mortimore
  • Like 3

• RMweb Premium

Deltics and 33s

Seen both tackle the same bank, Exeter heading out of the main station.

The Deltic (16) absolutely flew up the bank, with AFAIR 9 on. The 33 laboured up with one less. The difference was staggering.

And of course everyone knows the date of this event.

Was also some 50s around and they shifted as well.

My favourite Diesels are 50s then Deltics

• Like 2