Please use M,M&M only for topics that do not fit within other forum areas. All topics posted here await admin team approval to ensure they don't belong elsewhere.

Modelling a traditional parcels train

• RMweb Gold

BR unfitted wagon grey was an amorphous sort of concept in the 50s, as post war shortages and the ready availability of war surplus paint, presumably naval in this case, had an effect.  Workshops building or repainting wagons used different shades of grey (I like to think there were 50) according to what was available, and the availability of primer was questionable.  I would think that the way the paint 'takes' on steel as opposed to wooden surfaces made a difference as well.  One might see coal wagons in all sorts of states as has been discussed; what cannot be modelled using RTR is the bowed out sides of loaded worn out XPO 7-plankers.  You saw coal trains that looked incapable of reaching their destination, even when that was only a couple of miles away!

Patching of wagons with different shades of grey paint was common as well.

Edited by The Johnster

• 2 weeks later...

Interesting view of York station in 1974 with a class 40 hauling a parcels train with the front 6 vans all SR wood, including PMV and BY. There is a LNER CCT in the bay behind.

https://flic.kr/p/25K4RMr

Paul

5L07 is the Hull-York empty vans, this usually ran as a class 5, but also ran as a class 7 when conveying air braked MK2s and MK1s for York works and a 20ton brake van as well as the empty vans.

• Like 1

• 3 months later...

Should the windows on the Bachmann LMS 50ft Parcels van be flush, or are they correct on the model?

AIUI they should be flush except for the drop down windows in the doorshttps://flic.kr/p/dMmyEN

The Hornby one is a bit better?

https://hattonsimages.blob.core.windows.net/products/R4237A_1.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

Thought you might like this rendition...OK its not on a layout of a Bricklayers Arms to Brighton parcels train in n gauge. The original picture is taken from Essex House at Croydon.

p1710652862-4.jpg

gallery_681_3483_30510.jpg

What is the significance of the BR Mk1 Pullman kitchen car as the first vehicle? Does anyone know?

Tim T

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

What is the significance of the BR Mk1 Pullman kitchen car as the first vehicle? Does anyone know?

Tim T

Could be being returned to the ER from the Pullman workshop/depot at Preston Park, Brighton. 

Edit....note to self ....read the first caption, It could be going to the  Pullman workshop/depot at Preston Park, Brighton.

Edited by Clive Mortimore

because im a bit thick and a slow learner, im going to ask that if I post a pic, could the first person who knows point out what  the vans are in the train and what company they are available from, product code may be a good idea too if known, especially for the livery. preferably 00 but whatever scale your most familiar with.

also, is there any sort of estimate on a date when crimson was last seen on any parcels stock, Im guessing it got a longer stay of execution than passenger stock?

heres a couple of nice images..

6952848393_16aee20ce7_c.jpg

R1369  LMS Parcels Van Leicester Central 18Apr1964 by Ron Fisher, on Flickr

6952852827_2e23d209eb_c.jpg

R1370  LNER Parcels Van Leicester Central 18Apr1964 by Ron Fisher, on Flickr

Hi There,

The last maroon MK1 was repainted into Blue grey in about 1977 give or take so it would seem there was a tapering out as stock became due for repaint, with repaints being every seven to ten years depending upon condition. If the paintwork was in good condition sometimes a re-varnish would keep them going toward the ten year mark.

I remember green class 47's well into the 1970's and in those days some parcels vans just looked brown with dirt so who knows what colour the paint/rust was underneath ?

Gibbo.

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Tim T

Brighton and Hove Albion football team often travelled to the match on the supporters special train. The Pullman was used for them. Its E315 Heron which luckily Farish have modelled.

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Thought you might like this rendition...OK its not on a layout of a Bricklayers Arms to Brighton parcels train in n gauge. The original picture is taken from Essex House at Croydon.

I think it was 1535 from B Arms? It was a BRUTE train - one in, one out at every station. It was the complement to the 1135 Chichester to B Arms. 

I stood on that roof a couple or more times. The most memorable was on the night of 20th July 1969, looking at the moon and knowing a man was standing on it. 

• Like 6

Brighton and Hove Albion football team often travelled to the match on the supporters special train. The Pullman was used for them. Its E315 Heron which luckily Farish have modelled.

Are we saying the NPCS stock carried BHA fans?.....

• RMweb Premium

I think it was 1535 from B Arms? It was a BRUTE train - one in, one out at every station. It was the complement to the 1135 Chichester to B Arms. 

I stood on that roof a couple or more times. The most memorable was on the night of 20th July 1969, looking at the moon and knowing a man was standing on it.

The notes on the slide say 1330 B Arms to Brighton. I do have a MF B&W neg of what is probably the Chichester vans northbound at Gatwick. I’ll post that later, think this loaded with tomatoes etc from Angmering.

• RMweb Premium

Are we saying the NPCS stock carried BHA fans?.....

The coach was detached at Brighton and attached to a Mk1 rake that probably came from New X Gate or Clapham Yard.

• RMweb Gold

Yes, the Up Chi vans were full of market garden produce from multiple stations on what later became called West Coastway. Since it necessarily hung about at places while loading, I’m not sure how it could even be pathed north of Preston Park these days!

• RMweb Premium

p1461537666-5.jpg

Up Chichester vans. The caption supplied with this negative says E6022 with Parcels train in July 1964. Well the date is clearly wrong as the loco and vans are all in rail blue with the loco having full yellow ends. Date more likely July 1974.

Both the EMU's in the distance appear to be in Blue / Grey livery. The loco is indeed E6022 ( 73116 ). UFL just south of Gatwick Airport station. The posts alongside the line carry the trip wires to turn the signalling to red if hit by a low flying plane!

Edited by acg5324
  • Like 9

• RMweb Gold

The posts alongside the line carry the trip wires to turn the signalling to red if hit by a low flying plane!

Ah, yes. A good idea to protect the railway if a plane is in trouble. Not so effin' clever when the wire is cut by a tamper, causing panic everywhere in the small hours.....