4 COR

The driver's handle is a good idea - but we all suffer from what to do about the driver himself in a double-ended loco or MU. One end? Both ends? Neither is right. I found a French model reference to a guy who had added a driver each end of his single-car diesel unit. He had made the figure pivot, added some metal, and could make the driver sit up or disappear by use of an external magnet.

Hi Ian,

I'll stick to the system I use for now for the reasons given in post #700. As for 'moving' drivers, The 4 COR has far more moving parts than is probably good for it already!

All the best,

Colin

Driver and headcodes Ian.   A conundrum I face myself with the new layout which will feature EMU and DEMU units reversing at a terminal station.  While it is possible to remove and replace a stencil plate scratch-built with that in mind it still requires the "Driver's Hand of God" to do so.  Moving roller blinds which can be remotely set are another matter altogether ......

Hi Gwiwer,

It's a tricky one with head codes isn't it?!

On Newhaven Harbour it just has to be accepted that trains will reverse out of the station with codes at the back still showing. Nobody at shows has ever questioned this.

With your layout, it would be a case of which way around is the least bad option - depending on the normal viewing angle I suppose.

All the best,

Colin

• RMweb Premium

With my layout the Bachmann stock will run Cep+MLV.  That allows the MLV to show double-white ("square" as it is generally known) leading inbound with a number on the back of the Cep which then leads away and the MLV will show double reds.  The 2Bil is another matter since it has the stick-on stencil plate one end and a blank plate the other.  The Thumper runs alone and shows double white leading, double red trailing which ever way it's going.  Drivers ..... the thumper currently has one in each cab but none have yet been fitted to any other SR stock.

• RMweb Premium

And with the best will in the world trains sometimes ran with the stencil plate still up at the back (remembering a red lamp was needed as an end-of-train marker in those days) or missing at the front.  Once roller blinds came along they were almost invariably wound as a train approached the buffers so that the unofficial definition of "double reds" was "any train approaching the end of its trip"  ;)  And woe betide any driver who set off without double reds at the back - they would get a "Stop and Examine" as soon as it was noticed - sometimes by the signalman at the station of departure throwing his section signal back in the driver's face!

All this discussion on showing drivers and incorrect headcodes reminds me as to why I chose to have a roundy-roundy layout... :)

Hi Talisman,

Here we are debating directions of EMUs when very few models even have drivers!   

Most model steam  locos do not display head codes at all (with notable exceptions, so at least I'm right half the time with my EMUs!  The more fastidious would have to be changing lamps, codes (correct for the destination) and adding/removing tail lamps before each movement.  So basically, a roundy-roundy layout would have to have stock which only travelled in one direction and locos hauling the same class of train all the time unless you are willing to do that. 

All the best,

Colin

And with the best will in the world trains sometimes ran with the stencil plate still up at the back (remembering a red lamp was needed as an end-of-train marker in those days) or missing at the front.  Once roller blinds came along they were almost invariably wound as a train approached the buffers so that the unofficial definition of "double reds" was "any train approaching the end of its trip"   ;)  And woe betide any driver who set off without double reds at the back - they would get a "Stop and Examine" as soon as it was noticed - sometimes by the signalman at the station of departure throwing his section signal back in the driver's face!

Hi Rick,

All we can do is our best re. codes etc.   As I said, nobody at exhibitions has ever questioned codes, but woe betide an operator who passes a signal at red! 

All the best,

Colin

Final testing and revision of details etc. before dismantling and painting:

A Bachmann 36-553 DCC decoder has been installed and tested.  The motor bogie now runs very nicely with the aid of back - emf (setting CV #54 to 5 and CV#55 to 20).  A small cradle has been made to slip the decoder into so that it remains out of sight in the roof space.  This cradle is now part of the vestibule partitions and the shapes of all the parts have been quite complex to design - there is not a lot of space.

post-8139-0-56553800-1371420265_thumb.jpg

The partition assembly has been made so that the vestibule windows are unobstructed (no, the wiring does not foul the motor bogie!):

post-8139-0-15000400-1371420307_thumb.jpg

As seen here (the grab handles now have bolts and brackets added to their knobs too):

post-8139-0-13111100-1371420341_thumb.jpg

At the inner end of the powered coach, a brass weight sits in the vestibule area, just below window-height.  More ballast  will be added under the seating to get the weight up to about 350g:

post-8139-0-03605500-1371420320_thumb.jpg

And finally, it has become clear that most pictures of 4 CORs show that they latterly ran with their brake pipes arranged as seen in this shot:  the r/h one hitched up and the l/h pipe tucked into the loop.  This arrangement must have saved the motorman a bit of time.  Photos of preserved motor coaches tend to show the l/h pipes unprototypically 'correctly' secured!: 

post-8139-0-09788800-1371420355_thumb.jpg

The windscreen wipers seem to be at rest at either at 12 o'clock or 9 o'clock on the prototype,  so a little bit of personal preference is possible!

Colin

On that last photo the left buffer looks slightly not level, otherwise you've done an excellent job there, you've captured it just right, well done.

Hi Tigermoth,

Do not worry, all the buffer heads have only been temporarily fitted.  The heads/shanks are to be removed prior to painting the chassis.  When re-fitted, they will be located and  kept level with the aid of a dab of Kwikfix all-purpose glue!

All the best,

Colin

Ok, what have you decided for the final paint colour ? There was a change over the years, the green was darker towards the end of their career, but made slightly lighter due to wear.

Hi Tigermoth,

The livery will be 'careworn' BR blue/ full yellow ends.  Not as nostalgic as the green liveries for many, but there you go!  It is how I remember the CORs.

All the best,

Colin

• RMweb Premium

Even there, you have a choice of underframe colour: umber or black. :)

Brake-dust and goo usually.  Approximating to slimy black with congealed crud.  Especially in "careworn blue"

Even there, you have a choice of underframe colour: umber or black. :)

Ah yes, one can have too much choice SRman!

An interesting point re. under-frame colour though, as  I am going to start painting this afternoon.  Having noted in David Brown's book that 4 COR 3142 was still running in green livery at least until late August 1969 (with umber coloured under-frame?)  Given that around 1970 BR(S)  EMU underframes started to be painted black and 3142 must have had a re-paint into BR blue about that time, black will be the base colour (with plenty of brown gunge Rick!).  

I think on the Tin HAL I painted the underframe with Precision Paints' 'Track Grime', followed by a second coat of matt black superficially applied which left the corners, nooks and crannies 'Track Grime' in colour.  The result didn't look much different to applying matt black followed by a wash of grime.  A subtle dusting of grey-brown will add some highlights to give the underframes a dusty appearance.  Well, that's the theory.

All the best,

Colin

The 'painty' stuff has got under way with most parts having had at least one coat.

It is much more pleasant to be doing this process in warm weather. The paint has gone on quite well. After the misery of spraying the Tin HAL last winter with a contaminated tin of Humbrol matt 27, I did a test smear from a new tin. No bits this time. The application of the yellow ends gave me some extra research to do as there seems to have been no exact point to which the yellow extended around the cab sides in late BR days. I have gone for something similar to unit 3143 as seen early on in this topic in dasatcopthorne's photo of that unit and 3108 cab to cab. (It can be seen in that photo that 3108's yellow painted ends do not finish at the same point as those of 3143's. Hmm.)

post-8139-0-14714900-1371572983_thumb.jpg

The total number of pieces to be painted, large and small, amounts to a mind-numbing figure of 116. Here they are, stretching off into the distance:

post-8139-0-81828900-1371572993_thumb.jpg

Added to the above total, there is all the glazing to go in and the transfers to apply too. Gulp!

Colin

(Edit: Oops! The units pictures in post #54 cab-to-cab are 3143 and 3102.)

The 'painty' stuff has got under way with most parts having had at least one coat.

It is much more pleasant to be doing this process in warm weather. The paint has gone on quite well. After the misery of spraying the Tin HAL last winter with a contaminated tin of Humbrol matt 27, I did a test smear from a new tin. No bits this time. The application of the yellow ends gave me some extra research to do as there seems to have been no exact point to which the yellow extended around the cab sides in late BR days. I have gone for something similar to unit 3143 as seen early on in this topic in dasatcopthorne's photo of that unit and 3108 cab to cab. (It can be seen in that photo that 3108's yellow painted ends do not finish at the same point as those of 3143's. Hmm.)

attachicon.gifIMG_6451.JPG

The total number of pieces to be painted, large and small, amounts to a mind-numbing figure of 116. Here they are, stretching off into the distance:

attachicon.gifIMG_6447 (1024x407).jpg

Added to the above total, there is all the glazing to go in and the transfers to apply too. Gulp!

Colin

Looks like a 4mm. scale model of Lancing and Eastleigh Carriage Works combined.

Bluddy Marvellous....

• RMweb Premium

The work on the front ends has really paid off, that yellow picks out the detail in the gangway hangers well!

Nice work.

Andy G

A fantastic project Colin with a model of  4COR that is almost certainly the best 4mm one ever made!

I stand in awe of your craftsmanship.

Nigel

Hi Nigel,

Thanks to you too! Those 'pointers' towards photos of 4 CORs you sent me helped with working out exactly what the yellow ends looked side side-on.

all the best,

Colin

Hi Colin

It's surising how much difference a coat of paint makes.

Good stuff as always.

SS

Hi SS,

Well the spurious 'Connex' livery is gone forever and tomorrow the COR will receive its coat of BR blue.

All the best,

Colin

Archived