4 COR

Excellent, good finish - what air brush do you use?

Thanks MJI,

As for what airbrush I use, the answer is: I don't know! It was bought second-hand from my local model shop owner last year. It must have come from Expo and is a vast improvement on the old Badger one I had before.

The finish on my models is not that good to be honest, as due to the nature of my work, dust and stray fibres are a constant nuisance. I tend to spray when the workshop has been thoroughly vacuumed and left to settle for a few hours. The compressor is far more powerful than needed, but it is cranked down to about 20 p.s.i.. I also have an in-line water trap.

All the best,

Colin

Phew! Transfers sealed with varnish. Humbrol gloss has been used for this and it has dried to a nice satin finish. Photos show 4CORs even in 1972 had a good sheen on the body-side paintwork, so I have opted for that too.

The trailer composite was rather taxing due to application of the the yellow lines. These lines started off being done as Ian Rathbone suggests in his invaluable book on painting and lining: rule in the yellow lines top and bottom and the next day fill in between. Impatience led me carry on and paint in all the yellow last night. That nearly led to disaster, but with much 'paint-lifting' I have got away with it. A second light coat of yellow has given the stripes the requisite opacity. The line on the corridor side was an absolute b*****d to do!

Does anyone know where the 'First Class' blue hot-dog signage went on this coach?

post-8139-0-50525000-1371940399_thumb.jpg

post-8139-0-55373200-1371940492_thumb.jpg

Following the varnish coat today, after an hour or so, some light weathering was applied to the roofs and ends. It is not complete, but the rest can now be done with weathering powder (ground up tailor's chalks)after the glazing has gone in. It did concern me that the cab fronts were over-done, but they don't look too filthy! Still some green scuffing to add too.

post-8139-0-68348200-1371940508_thumb.jpg

The almost completed inner ends. The yellow stripe stops short of the end on pictures I have seen. I always enjoy dabbing a little bit of red paint on the emergency brake 'tell-tales'! (Note to self: Will have to attend to the 'brown' buffer in the nest photo.) The composite modelled is the ill-fated S 11832 S, which caught fire in whilst in the sidings at Barnham after withdrawal. As preserved, unit 3142 has the composite coach S 11825 S, taken from unit 3135 following the fire. (Have I got this right Rick?!)

post-8139-0-85062000-1371940529_thumb.jpg

The wire suspension links are, admittedly a compromise and not very close to the shape of the real thing, but they do not drop off now.

Colin

Excellent model. You have captured the prototype very well. I only ever saw them green we moved before they went blue.

The best way to remove dust when spraying is to pressurise the room. You the blow the dust from the room not suck it in. We used to spray in a booth in a pressurised room without any dust and the next room was the polishing shop. Now that was dusty.

• RMweb Premium

Does anyone know where the 'First Class' blue hot-dog signage went on this coach?

Back to shots of 3142 at Ashford and the answer is just visible on this page:  http://www.southernelectric.org.uk/preservation/3142/4cor-gallery-related-units.html

The lower image is of S11832S but the caption is transposed with that belonging to the motor coach in the centre.  The FIRST sausages are just discernible immediately above the NO SMOKING triangles on the first couple of compartments and in line with those on the first smoking compartments.  Those signs would be in the identical position on the interior corridor glazing with the FIRST sausages repeated on the large corridor-side windows at the same height and centrally on the pane but not on the door drop lights.

• RMweb Premium

Colin

Hi Colin

On the Barrowmore web site is a copy of BR  Lettering and Numbering of Coaching Stock, pages 3 to 8 show where the transfers on windows "should" be. http://www.barrowmoremrg.co.uk/BRBDocuments/BRCoachLetteringIssue.pdf

• RMweb Premium

Really a superb build, Colin. I haven't been paying too much attnetion to this thread because I filter what I look at on here (having a job, and a young family, a house to build and my own models, I have to limit mly itme on here!) and tend to ignore anything that didn't have to have coal thrown in it to work. What an error that was in this case. Inspirational is the only word.

Keep 'em coming.

G

Colin, I can fully sympathise with you regarding those yellow first class bands. I added them to a Hornby 2 BIL, firstly with transfers, which mostly cracked and peeled off again, then hand-painted. The corridor side was a real bu**er to do!!

Back to shots of 3142 at Ashford and the answer is just visible on this page:  http://www.southernelectric.org.uk/preservation/3142/4cor-gallery-related-units.html

The lower image is of S11832S but the caption is transposed with that belonging to the motor coach in the centre.  The FIRST sausages are just discernible immediately above the NO SMOKING triangles on the first couple of compartments and in line with those on the first smoking compartments.  Those signs would be in the identical position on the interior corridor glazing with the FIRST sausages repeated on the large corridor-side windows at the same height and centrally on the pane but not on the door drop lights.

Thanks for the information Rick.

I did find a picture with a 4 COR composite in the background. The unit was in green, but the window signage is exactly the same as you describe. It would appear that the first class transfers were only on the r/h quarter lights (?)

I had not planned on glazing the corridor windows in the near future at least, so forgive the omission of signage internally.

All the best,

Colin

Edit: The coach in the link has 'No-Smoking' in the second class compartments and the inner two first class. It is clear that the 'rear' saloons of the motor coaches were 'No- Smoking' too, but I forgot to ask you if the trailer thirds were unrestricted for smoking. Come on, something has got to be simple surely?!

Hi Colin

On the Barrowmore web site is a copy of BR  Lettering and Numbering of Coaching Stock, pages 3 to 8 show where the transfers on windows "should" be. http://www.barrowmoremrg.co.uk/BRBDocuments/BRCoachLetteringIssue.pdf

Thanks Clive,

Hadn't thought of searching there - I will have a look.

All the best,

Colin

Colin, I can fully sympathise with you regarding those yellow first class bands. I added them to a Hornby 2 BIL, firstly with transfers, which mostly cracked and peeled off again, then hand-painted. The corridor side was a real bu**er to do!!

Hi SRman,

Yes, I have had exactly the same experience with transfers for yellow stripes. They always seemed translucent and pale when I tried using them. The corridor side of a 2 BIL is just as hard to put the stripe on as that of the 4 COR, with those window frames that extend to the cantrail to contend with.

All the best,

Colin

Excellent model. You have captured the prototype very well. I only ever saw them green we moved before they went blue.

The best way to remove dust when spraying is to pressurise the room. You the blow the dust from the room not suck it in. We used to spray in a booth in a pressurised room without any dust and the next room was the polishing shop. Now that was dusty.

Thanks N15class,

The CORs were only in BR blue for a few years from 1970-72, so it is not surprising you missed them.

An interesting idea re. pressurised conditions. When I was a trainee upholsterer at Bevan Funnell's factory in Newhaven, I can remember that the spray shop had extractor fans running all the time and the spray booths' back wall had water constantly running down (akin to a 'flushing' gents' unrinal!.

All the best,

Colin

Thanks N15class,

The CORs were only in BR blue for a few years from 1970-72, so it is not surprising you missed them.

An interesting idea re. pressurised conditions. When I was a trainee upholsterer at Bevan Funnell's factory in Newhaven, I can remember that the spray shop had extractor fans running all the time and the spray booths' back wall had water constantly running down (akin to a 'flushing' gents' unrinal!.

All the best,

Colin

Looks like Hornby might move into there. Now there's a good use...

• RMweb Premium

The coach in the link has 'No-Smoking' in the second class compartments and the inner two first class. It is clear that the 'rear' saloons of the motor coaches were 'No- Smoking' too, but I forgot to ask you if the trailer thirds were unrestricted for smoking. Come on, something has got to be simple surely?!

The three full compartments and the coupe adjacent to the motor coach were for smokers; the five adjacent to the trailer composite were non-smoking.

Images of the compartment side of a trailer third / second are remarkably hard to find.  There is one of a green unit as the frontispiece to Welch's "A Southern Electric Album" which when magnified clearly shows the arrangement; there is a front-side view of 3120 also in green on p.18 of the same book which because of the angle makes it harder to confirm but again shows, with careful inspection, that the three-and-a-half compartments nearest the camera and the leading motor coach are not labelled No Smoking where the remainder are.

The proportion of smoking to non-smoking accommodation was not altered on the "Nelson" stock as it approached withdrawal (other than unofficially if window panes were replaced and the stickers not applied!) so we may safely  assume a blue 3142 would have been as per these images.

• RMweb Gold

That is top drawer Colin - an outstanding model of a strangely neglected prototype. I've enjoyed this thread hugely, including all the collaborative stuff from other people. Excellent. Dare we speculate that the 4SUB might be next?

Best wishes,

Alastair M

The three full compartments and the coupe adjacent to the motor coach were for smokers; the five adjacent to the trailer composite were non-smoking.

Images of the compartment side of a trailer third / second are remarkably hard to find.  There is one of a green unit as the frontispiece to Welch's "A Southern Electric Album" which when magnified clearly shows the arrangement; there is a front-side view of 3120 also in green on p.18 of the same book which because of the angle makes it harder to confirm but again shows, with careful inspection, that the three-and-a-half compartments nearest the camera and the leading motor coach are not labelled No Smoking where the remainder are.

The proportion of smoking to non-smoking accommodation was not altered on the "Nelson" stock as it approached withdrawal (other than unofficially if window panes were replaced and the stickers not applied!) so we may safely  assume a blue 3142 would have been as per these images.

Thanks Rick.

Oh dear! More transfers to apply then. I would agree that the trailer third is difficult to find images of. Even the existing one, S 10096 S is sheeted over!

All the best,

Colin

That is top drawer Colin - an outstanding model of a strangely neglected prototype. I've enjoyed this thread hugely, including all the collaborative stuff from other people. Excellent. Dare we speculate that the 4SUB might be next?

Best wishes,

Alastair M

Thanks Alastair,

The next scratch-build will be 4 SUB 4377 to be exact. But that will be later on in the year. Just for a little light relief and as a summer job, I shall be tackling my Hornby 2 BIL. (It will not be a 'bashing thread', but will address the major 'issues' without me grumbling all the time!) I cannot start that project until fresh supplies of lamp tops arrive from Southern Pride Models, whose website is not working at present. (Had to send them a blank cheque and hope for the best. I presume they are still trading.)

All the best,

Colin

• RMweb Gold

Colin

Absolutely wonderful work resulting in a fantastic model and many thanks for sharing its development with us. I am really looking forward to learning how to improve the 2BIL and bought a bargain the other week just for that purpose. Still looking forward to the book!!

Very many thanks

Godfrey

Colin

Absolutely wonderful work resulting in a fantastic model and many thanks for sharing its development with us. I am really looking forward to learning how to improve the 2BIL and bought a bargain the other week just for that purpose. Still looking forward to the book!!

Very many thanks

Godfrey

Thanks Godfrey.

Er, this is the 'book'!

All the best,

Colin

• RMweb Gold

The next scratch-build will be 4 SUB 4377 to be exact. all the time!)

You are now officially confirmed as a masochist. 4377 was unique in having adverts beneath the luggage racks - in an open saloon!

You are now officially confirmed as a masochist. 4377 was unique in having adverts beneath the luggage racks - in an open saloon!

Hi Ian,

I have chosen 4377 as it was one of the 4 SUBs with an interesting history. It had, as you said, the experimental open saloon with advertisement boards above the seats. Not only that, but it had a 'pseudo-composite' trailer coach and the cab fronts had ventilators above the driver's windows, (quickly removed and (visibly) plated over). Also, for a time in 1967, its motor coaches ran in 4 LAV 2932. After withdrawal in April 1976, the motor coaches were used to form de-icing unit 012. I am hoping for an easier building project after this 4 COR, before pushing on with something rather more up-to-date next year.

See, I have been reading the 'The 4 SUB Story' by Bryan Rayner & David Brown quite carefully!

All the best,

Colin

Hi Colin,

That is an excellent model and is a work of art.

Cannot wait to see your 4SUB.

All the best

Simon

Thanks Simon,

It will be later on in August before the 4 SUB project gets under way. I have made the basic roof shapes & inner buffers already. The cab fronts are marked out too, having been done at the same time as those for the Tin HAL I made last year

All the best,

Colin

Archived