4 COR

Hi all.

Harking back to the subject of Southern Electric Head-codes / Route Numbers, I've started to piece together the different variations, assisted, no-end, by Judge Dread, Maxthemapman, Eastwestdive and numerous illustrations

The first to be finished ?, are the S.R. / B.R.(S) stencil type. Even with these,. I've come across subtle variations.

Once completed, I'll post them onto a separate topic, within the 'Southern Electrics' sub-forum.

If anyone's got any info on the subject, or any helpful criticism, please feel free to comment.

attachicon.gifAutoSave_AutoSave_AutoSave_AutoSave_BR Mk.png

Hi Ceptic,

You have been busy!

I look forward to seeing a definitive proof. Perhaps the artwork could be used to make water-slide transfers? I have a feeling they would look better than printing onto paper.

There must be an 'S' in the letter codes too, as there was a bread advert featuring a picture of five 1925 SR units spelling the word 'HOVIS'! (As reproduced on the back of G T Moody's 1959 edition of the 'Southern Electric'.)

All the best,

Colin

I always thought the S in the Hovis add only existed for their add. Of course I could and probably am wrong.

Hi N15class,

I have just looked it up and 'S' was the code for (Waterloo-)Shepperton trains according to the advert itself. David Brown's Southern Electric Vol. 1' also gives this as the destination for the Western Section (and destinations too complicated bother with here for the Central and Eastern Sections).

Not that anything I will ever build will have letter codes!

All the best,

Colin

Hi Colin,

Thanks for the info on the magnets. I think you are right about inter unit connections, trying to get the rubbing plate sprung on a BR unit will certainly be a challenge. Though I do believe that it has been done. Once again thanks for the info.

Cheers for now, Ian.

Hi Colin,

Thanks for the info on the magnets. I think you are right about inter unit connections, trying to get the rubbing plate sprung on a BR unit will certainly be a challenge. Though I do believe that it has been done. Once again thanks for the info.

Cheers for now, Ian.

Hi Ian,

It would still look good to have proper jumper cables on cab fronts. Perhaps you could have a set for single-unit running with cables of the correct length so the loops hang nicely and a longer set for multiple-working.

All the best,

Colin

Hi all.

Harking back to the subject of Southern Electric Head-codes / Route Numbers, I've started to piece together the different variations, assisted, no-end, by Judge Dread, Maxthemapman, Eastwestdive and numerous illustrations

The first to be finished ?, are the S.R. / B.R.(S) stencil type. Even with these,. I've come across subtle variations.

Once completed, I'll post them onto a separate topic, within the 'Southern Electrics' sub-forum.

If anyone's got any info on the subject, or any helpful criticism, please feel free to comment.

attachicon.gifAutoSave_AutoSave_AutoSave_AutoSave_BR Mk.png

For completeness' sake, letters A-K (I think no further? no reference books just now) for the roller blind headcodes on 33s, 73s. If you can't get reference material off flicker etc, let me know - I've probably got most of those letters on halfway-usable photos. 

Colin parks, on 08 Jun 2013 - 20:23, said:

Hi Ceptic,

You have been busy!

I look forward to seeing a definitive proof. Perhaps the artwork could be used to make water-slide transfers? I have a feeling they would look better than printing onto paper.

There must be an 'S' in the letter codes too, as there was a bread advert featuring a picture of five 1925 SR units spelling the word 'HOVIS'! (As reproduced on the back of G T Moody's 1959 edition of the 'Southern Electric'.)

All the best.

Colin.

Hi Colin,

Yep. As we post (speak),....., The 'Plot',... so far.... The LSWR / SR 'O' has been edited. The 'P' is being worked on. (This Google SketchUp can be a little cantankerous, at times !)

The 'S', 'L' and 'T', plus 'wide' stencil numerals will follow, as will the 'compressed' roller blind digits.

Although details of the later, smaller numerals, have already been covered by J.D., E.W.D. & M.the MM, I think it would be better if these were included, along with the 'curly tailed' versions.

All the best.

Frank.

eastwestdivide, on 08 Jun 2013 - 21:09, said:

For completeness' sake, letters A-K (I think no further? no reference books just now) for the roller blind headcodes on 33s, 73s. If you can't get reference material off flicker etc, let me know - I've probably got most of those letters on halfway-usable photos.

Hi EWD,

Many thanks for your offer, those will prove very useful. I won't trouble you until I reach the 33s & 73s stage, and the topic is up and running separately.

Rather than rely on / searching for suitable, down-loadable fonts, as these can be difficult to edit, I have found that reference to a suitable front-end photo pays dividends.

Also, thanks for providing your earlier photos. You can never have too much info'.

Meanwhile.........Back at the Pentagon !

Cheers.

Hi Ceptic,You have been busy!I look forward to seeing a definitive proof. Perhaps the artwork could be used to make water-slide transfers? I have a feeling they would look better than printing onto paper.There must be an 'S' in the letter codes too, as there was a bread advert featuring a picture of five 1925 SR units spelling the word 'HOVIS'! (As reproduced on the back of G T Moody's 1959 edition of the 'Southern Electric'.)All the best,Colin

I was considering using Judge Dredd's house number but printing it on glossy photographic paper, although waterslide transfer paper is also a good idea. I am also planning to print some black triangles on a waterslide transfer sheet so it will be worth filling it up with some stencil and roller blind headcodes.

Thanks to those who have been so helpful to Colin, you have also been of great help to others, including me. :)

I was considering using Judge Dredd's house number 

If you do, be prepared to receive various callers you don't really need. At the low end of the scale, pizza deliveries up to a court warrant officer, backed by two police officers, with an arrest warrant.

I live at Alexandra ROAD, and they all should have all been at Alexandra STREET. Oh, I almost forgot, my wife opened the door to a person from the Social Services. She tried to push passed my wife, demanding to see some woman who has never lived at this address in the 41 years we have. No-one pushes passed my wife and lives to tell the tale! She who introduced the "Stiff Arm Tackle" to netball at school!

If you do, be prepared to receive various callers you don't really need. At the low end of the scale, pizza deliveries up to a court warrant officer, backed by two police officers, with an arrest warrant.

I live at Alexandra ROAD, and they all should have all been at Alexandra STREET. Oh, I almost forgot, my wife opened the door to a person from the Social Services. She tried to push passed my wife, demanding to see some woman who has never lived at this address in the 41 years we have. No-one pushes passed my wife and lives to tell the tale! She who introduced the "Stiff Arm Tackle" to netball at school!

Hey, Judge.....Too much information.....Don't forget, the Pentagon (and others) are watching and listening..... :secret:

Hey, Judge.....Too much information.....Don't forget, the Pentagon (and others) are watching and listening..... :secret:

I should worry with my secret weapon, Valerie power. Anyway certain people, my late father told me, were never good at time keeping! 

Hi Ceptic,

...........I look forward to seeing a definitive proof. Perhaps the artwork could be used to make water-slide transfers? I have a feeling they would look better than printing onto paper...............

All the best,

Colin

I was considering using Judge Dredd's house number but printing it on glossy photographic paper, although waterslide transfer paper is also a good idea. I am also planning to print some black triangles on a waterslide transfer sheet so it will be worth filling it up with some stencil and roller blind headcodes.

Thanks to those who have been so helpful to Colin, you have also been of great help to others, including me. :)

Hi All.

Re :- Water-slide transfers......I've done a bit of delving, and, it appears that the 'Crafty' decal paper is compatible with both Inkjet and Laserjet printers. My 'old' ? Samsung laser has just given up, so I'm now looking for 3-in-1 replacement.

Failing finding something suitable, i.e. cheap, no gizmos and not Samsung,  I might just give 'Modelmasters' a call, to see if thy're interested in producing a 'custom' run.

I'll get back to you, on this.

Cheers.

Hi Ceptic,

Modelmaster could be a good bet. They produced transfers from my brother's artwork for Cambrian departmental wagons. A sheet covering all the stencil and roller blind head codes should do well and the result would be nice opaque blacks and whites (red + blue rectangles too?!)

All the best,

Colin

Hi Colin.

A question,....You mentioned red and Blue ? rectangles. Would this be reference to the LBSCR 'Overhead' destination boards ? (I was under the impression they were white on black) , or something else ?

Cheers,

Frank.

Hi Colin.

A question,....You mentioned red and Blue ? rectangles. Would this be reference to the LBSCR 'Overhead' destination boards ? (I was under the impression they were white on black) , or something else ?

Cheers,

Frank.

Hi Frank,

Sorry for my confused wording. There are a pair of red rectangles of course those displayed at the rear of EMUs on the roller blinds. Off-topic, the blue rectangles I refer to are those found on the front of locos (at least on the Southern Region):

post-8139-0-32778700-1370886901.jpg

Anything would be neater than this effort!

Colin

Hi Frank,

Sorry for my confused wording. There are a pair of red rectangles of course those displayed at the rear of EMUs on the roller blinds. Off-topic, the blue rectangles I refer to are those found on the front of locos (at least on the Southern Region):

attachicon.gifIMG_3118 - Copy.JPG

Anything would be neater than this effort!

Colin

Hmmm......... Definitely got a tint of blue there, Colin.,....  Possibly ?,... reflecting the blue skies above Newhaven ?  :sungum:

• RMweb Premium

Hmmm......... Definitely got a tint of blue there, Colin.,....  Possibly ?,... reflecting the blue skies above Newhaven ?  :sungum:

Always been grey the twice I've been there.

Jamie

Nearly finished the interior details ready for painting. The controls have had subtle alterations so that one dead-man's handle is set up to the right (off?!) and one half way through the notches, pressed down for the 'driven' end.

post-8139-0-60036200-1371076421_thumb.jpg

There are quite a number of different shapes of seat, with five types in the motor coach saloons. I have stopped short of thinking about adding luggage racks as not much of it would be visible inside the coaches once the glazing goes in. Seating is my least favourite part of the building process, so the next unit will be having some commercial product if it can be sourced.

Colin

Hi Colin,

I know what you mean about interiors. If you are thinking of doing a suburban unit you could do worse than looking at the Replica interior units.

post-7006-0-52186000-1371114177.jpg

post-7006-0-60992500-1371114193.jpg

Even though they are designed for BR standard coaches they fit the SR types perfectly and they lend themselves readily to chopping about to get the correct configuration. I like the idea about the dead-mans handle. The image of your ED is excellent. I reckon if you uploaded it in black and white you would be really hard pressed to tell it is a model.

Cheers for now, Ian.

• RMweb Gold

The controls have had subtle alterations so that one dead-man's handle is set up to the right (off?!) and one half way through the notches, pressed down for the 'driven' end.

So the unit can only be "correctly" driven one way on the layout and will have to be turned in the fiddle yard, or apologies if I'm missing something Colin.

Mike.

• RMweb Gold

The driver's handle is a good idea - but we all suffer from what to do about the driver himself in a double-ended loco or MU. One end? Both ends? Neither is right. I found a French model reference to a guy who had added a driver each end of his single-car diesel unit. He had made the figure pivot, added some metal, and could make the driver sit up or disappear by use of an external magnet.

• RMweb Premium

Driver and headcodes Ian.   A conundrum I face myself with the new layout which will feature EMU and DEMU units reversing at a terminal station.  While it is possible to remove and replace a stencil plate scratch-built with that in mind it still requires the "Driver's Hand of God" to do so.  Moving roller blinds which can be remotely set are another matter altogether ......  

Hi Colin,

I know what you mean about interiors. If you are thinking of doing a suburban unit you could do worse than looking at the Replica interior units.

attachicon.gifDSCF1865.JPG

attachicon.gifDSCF1866.JPG

Even though they are designed for BR standard coaches they fit the SR types perfectly and they lend themselves readily to chopping about to get the correct configuration. I like the idea about the dead-mans handle. The image of your ED is excellent. I reckon if you uploaded it in black and white you would be really hard pressed to tell it is a model.

Cheers for now, Ian.

Thanks for the images Ian,

It was the photos of interiors on your 4 SUB topic that has made me think twice about slavishly hand building seats! I had thought about buying some seating for the 4 COR from Southern Pride Models, but their website seems to be down at the moment. (Ironically, that also prevents me buying the lamp tops I need for the carving up and detailing up the Hornby 2 BIL.)

The class 73 image is only a crop of a previously posted image from last year, to illustrate the rectangles found on EDs on the Southern for Frank. Anyway, gloriously off-topic:

post-8139-0-37681000-1371119112.jpg

All the best,

Colin

So the unit can only be "correctly" driven one way on the layout and will have to be turned in the fiddle yard, or apologies if I'm missing something Colin.

Mike.

Hi Mike,

You are absolutely correct. All units on my layout can only be driven in one direction 'correctly' as they all have a head code and driver at one end and an empty cab with red rectangles displayed at the other- or white stencil plates. (I have never got around to adding tail lamps on the older units, but with the advent of 1mm dia. magnets, I might.)

This also aids placing units on the tracks, as the destination head code end is always 'forward' (into the station) on the DCC chip settings on all stock.

Turning in the fiddle yard has not happened at shows as the yard is operated from the public side.

All the best,

Colin

Archived