''New'' 4mm Bufferstops ''New''

davefrk

Hi all, spent last night working on the website, it's still giving bother but working. My tame web-mistress (SWMBO) managed to get some of the wee glitches sorted so we've put the latest product up there for your approval. Bufferstops, yes, those things that stop wagons falling off the end of sidings. I needed some for my Midland layout so I set-to and made some from code 75 rail, they were quite nice and I thought why don't I make them for everyone.... I made new masters suitable for casting and giving a five piece kit to assemble.

This is the result.

post-10324-0-88033100-1362310463.jpg

Midland Railway Standard bufferstop.

So the ball is now rolling and people having seen the sample were asking for more and for their railway company so the second one is this.

post-10324-0-74309900-1362309829.jpg

LMS/BR Bufferstop.

This one was by LMS but adopted by BR and used all over Britain. This master has been altered since in light of new info.

These samples were from the first casting in a hand mould, they are now both in a mould for the machine and in production so you can have scenes like this.

post-10324-0-22389600-1362310072.jpg

Still more in the pipeline with people sending photos, details and even scale drawings. The next ones should be Scottish, GN, LNE, and more Midland.

All the best,

Now back to the workbench.

Dave Franks.

Apologies but as happens far too often on RMWeb I cannot see any mention of what scale are you working in?

I have a few photos. A heavier MR one http://PaulBartlett.zenfolio.com/britaingeneralrail/e2141aeec  or your light MR one encased in concrete http://PaulBartlett.zenfolio.com/infrastructure/e51aefa46

At Foxton http://PaulBartlett.zenfolio.com/infrastructure/e263e747c I don't know if typical GER

M&GN http://PaulBartlett.zenfolio.com/infrastructure/e52bac478

I hope of interest. The NER had some interesting stops, but I don't have photos to hand.

Regards

Paul Bartlett

• RMweb Gold

Apologies but as happens far too often on RMWeb I cannot see any mention of what scale are you working in?

I'm guessing from the mention of code75 that it's 4mm scale, but the bigger question is what gauge?

Andi

Sorry people, I'm just so excited about these bufferstops I forgot to say. Dagworth is correct in saying code 75 so it would be 4mm scale and in any case regulars to the website would know I only sell 4mm scale. The gauge? well, them all, you get two bufferbeams, one to suit OO and the other for EM and P4 (it is 0.315mm long for EM and 0.315mm short for P4) a couple of bufferstops measured showed differences of more than this! They were made from scrap rail afterall.

Paul, I can't seem to open the links you've posted but I'm always interested in your photos.

Thanks to all who've commented.

Ben Alder, yes I have someone in the HRA looking for drawings for me.

Ian, hoping you are well.

All the best,

Dave Franks

Andy C wrote:-

Excellent Dave, this is going to save me a lot of burnt fingers soldering up sections of rail :O

I note the Scottish ones in the pipeline, Cally I hope :sungum:

Of course Andy, but please learn to spell Caley correctly or you won't be allowed over the border again....

Dave Franks.

Well you could just click on the link to Dave's website.

Keith

Why? It just seems such an obvious thing to say what scale something is. It happens all the time on here that 4mm modellers seem to think that theirs is the default scale and therefore doesn't need to be mentioned. I must admit the track looked so good, as well as the models that I am genuinely surprised to find they are not 7mm, which is why I asked.

Paul Bartlett

Andy C wrote:-

Of course Andy, but please learn to spell Caley correctly or you won't be allowed over the border again....

Dave Franks.

Thats OK Im used to dodging the border patrol at Gretna :jester: cue Genesis and "illegal Alien"

Why? It just seems such an obvious thing to say what scale something is. It happens all the time on here that 4mm modellers seem to think that theirs is the default scale and therefore doesn't need to be mentioned. I must admit the track looked so good, as well as the models that I am genuinely surprised to find they are not 7mm, which is why I asked.

Paul Bartlett

I agree Paul, I've been caught out myself, I've changed the title so people who don't know my products will be informed.

Thanks for pointing me to the photos, I've managed to find them now, some I'd seen previously but the M&GNR one was new and it's exactly one of the GNR drawings I've been sent, actually, your photo has cleared up a query I had with the drawing, thanks. 

All the best,

Dave Franks

Hi Paul, well done that man..... Did I tell you I was thinking of bufferstops the last time we spoke????? Anyway, I've been sent a couple of NER drawings so they will eventually appear when time allows.

I've been 'overwhelmed with awe' by the response, the first lot I'd packaged have gone and I'm having to package more this morning for bulk packs and if it keeps up I'll have to do a casting before the end of the week!!!! There seems to be a lot of Midland layouts getting built out there.

See you at S4N maybe.

Dave Franks.

• RMweb Gold

Hi Paul, well done that man..... Did I tell you I was thinking of bufferstops the last time we spoke????? Anyway, I've been sent a couple of NER drawings so they will eventually appear when time allows.

I've been 'overwhelmed with awe' by the response, the first lot I'd packaged have gone and I'm having to package more this morning for bulk packs and if it keeps up I'll have to do a casting before the end of the week!!!! There seems to be a lot of Midland layouts getting built out there.

See you at S4N maybe.

Dave Franks.

No you never mentioned it, just a lucky guess! 

Will be at S4N.

Hi,

These look very good, but how are they insultated? Is it just a gap in the track further up?

Simon

Hi Simon, the insulated fishplates can be seen in the pictures but also the 'bufferbeam' is glued on with epoxy. The traditional way is to cut a sliver of tissue paper and thinly smear epoxy on both sides then put it between the bufferbeam and the brackets and when the glue has gone off trim the tissue and glue with a sharp knife, 'you can't see the join', so to speak. It's all covered in the building instructions, the insulated fishplates are to make doubly sure.....

Hope that helps,

Dave Franks

I agree Paul, I've been caught out myself, I've changed the title so people who don't know my products will be informed.

Thanks for pointing me to the photos, I've managed to find them now, some I'd seen previously but the M&GNR one was new and it's exactly one of the GNR drawings I've been sent, actually, your photo has cleared up a query I had with the drawing, thanks. 

All the best,

Dave Franks

Dear Dave

Not following 4mm closely I had not realised that there was so little available. There were various drawings published in the mags in the 1960s. Buffer stops are one of the easiest ways to place a layout into their historical context (so were water cranes but they aren't so useful 50 years on). When much else of the pre-group scene has gone the stops tend to remain.

I remembered I had taken a few more stops in York recently - see http://paulbartlett.zenfolio.com/recentlyadded  NER should be easy, as they had a diagram book of all of their infrastructure which I think is available from the NER Society. I have never seen anything similar for any other railway - and it is illuminating in how many different fences, water cranes, gates etc. etc. they 'standardised' on.

Paul Bartlett

I'm guessing from the mention of code75 that it's 4mm scale, but the bigger question is what gauge?

Andi

Andi

Doesn't code 75 simply mean the weight of rail that the model is attempting to reproduce, which is how the real railway described rail. So, 75lbs per foot (or some other length)? So it would be described exactly the same in 2, 4, 7mm etc. etc.

Paul Bartlett

Archived