''New'' 4mm Bufferstops ''New''

davefrk

• RMweb Premium

Funnily enough I'd just been thinking the same thing. Though I'll put in a plea for G&SWR stuff. Please.

Gordon

Surely it should be HR stuff? ;-} Infact anything Scottish would be a winner. I have quite a lot of HR drawings that I could send over, all of which would enhance the scene! (indeed I have drawings for all sorts of misc railway items, culled from MRJ's, MRC's and RM's over the years.....)

Andy g

Dear Sir

I wish to complain in the strongest possible terms over the following glaring omission from your range, and I trust you will rectify the situation at the earliest opportunity.

3376709633_9a12c04379.jpg

Dear Sir or Madam, we are very sorry for your vexation and hope that with the use of some potent smelling salts, a short repose on the chaise-longue and the promise that we will look at this very item with alacrity and vigour that you will be appeased.

Your faithful servant,

Mr. D Franks  

Fellow of the Institute of the Melting Pot.

In other words, don't get your trolleys in a twist, we're on it.

Dear Sir

I wish to complain in the strongest possible terms over the following glaring omission from your range, and I trust you will rectify the situation at the earliest opportunity.

3376709633_9a12c04379.jpg

Having seen the drawings of these NB bufferstops, I understand why this one is still in place long after the track is gone. They look small and puny, but are in fact just the tip of the iceberg.

Chris

Having seen the drawings of these NB bufferstops, I understand why this one is still in place long after the track is gone. They look small and puny, but are in fact just the tip of the iceberg.

Chris

That would explain why the pikeys have not weighed it in then..

regards

• RMweb Gold

All you need to do now Dave are some water cranes, loading gauges and some yard type hand cranes and you could be the new "Mikes models".

It is a huge gap in the market. Even though the originals are still knocking about, some of them were dreadfully out of scale and your work is miles ahead in terms of quality. Just start with the GCR stuff first.....................

Keep up the good great work,

Cheers,

Tony

Ther's a bad echo in here.

Mike.

Ther's a bad echo in here.

Mike.

And in my email box too.... I don't mind being compared to Mike Sharman, he was in the forefront of ingenious design in it's day, So I'll take it as a compliment.

As far as watercranes etc. go, whilst I do need two MR ones as modified by the LMS I don't see me doing any MT&DU Rly Co ones. And don't start all that again Mike... 

All the best,

Dave Franks

Casting SR bufferstops today, lovely.

No day off for me....

Okay Mike, just for you, the latest bufferstops, SR ones, have been trial built and the kits are now on the website for purchase, how many are you wanting.....

post-10324-0-32780600-1363545105.jpg

And the rear view,

post-10324-0-72249100-1363545172.jpg

The timber beam one,

post-10324-0-55833000-1363545127.jpg

The rear showing the 'staybar',

post-10324-0-48078200-1363545196.jpg

These aren't just for Mike, anyone can have one.

Dave Franks

Next L&Y then some Scottish ones.

Only kidding, though it has been strange that most of the orders so far have been to USA, Australia and New Zealand.

Dave Franks.

Dave

We colonials will not just make do with Peco plastic bufferstops. (In my case I guess I am classified as a colonial even though I live it what was an ex-Spanish colony. Sir Francis Drakes claim does not count.) It also might be a sign of the economic times in the UK.

I have Ragstone versions of the wood SR/LSWR bufferstops. The rail ones were common by the period I model 1946-48.

best.

Well, the L&Y bufferstop master is finished, cleaned up and ready to make a mould from. I must acknowledge the help of Martin Nield of the L&Y society in supplying a very useful photo of the timber beam bufferstop which proved some of the conclusions I had come to. Always best to find a photo, drawings can be misconstrued. So, the L&Y bufferstop kit will come with both a timber beam and a replacement 3-rail beam in OO and EM/P4. Still only a five piece kit to make a bufferstop although you also get a piece of wire to represent the 'stay bar' that many bufferstops still had in later life.

If the mould is 'good' these latest bufferstops should be on sale at the end of the week, after the pre-orders are fulfilled.

Pictures will be posted on this place when they are ready.

All the best,

Dave Franks.

Only kidding, though it has been strange that most of the orders so far have been to USA, Australia and New Zealand.

Dave Franks.

Dave

We colonials will not just make do with Peco plastic bufferstops. (In my case I guess I am classified as a colonial even though I live it what was an ex-Spanish colony. Sir Francis Drakes claim does not count.) It also might be a sign of the economic times in the UK.

I have Ragstone versions of the wood SR/LSWR bufferstops. The rail ones were common by the period I model 1946-48.

best.

Hi Autocoach, yes a number of people have said they've moved on from the traditional 'universal bufferstop' and are now looking at nearer scale offerings. As far as the UK economics is concerned, I think it might have more to do with the big shows that are on this weekend and next, everyone is saving for the goodies on offer there - Alexandra Palace show in London and the York show at Easter require a great deal of 'spondulicks' at least in my experience. Even the sales of buffers have slowed to a trickle these last two weeks.

All the best,

Dave Franks.

Guest Max Stafford

Hi Autocoach, yes a number of people have said they've moved on from the traditional 'universal bufferstop' and are now looking at nearer scale offerings. As far as the UK economics is concerned, I think it might have more to do with the big shows that are on this weekend and next, everyone is saving for the goodies on offer there - Alexandra Palace show in London and the York show at Easter require a great deal of 'spondulicks' at least in my experience. Even the sales of buffers have slowed to a trickle these last two weeks.

All the best,

Dave Franks.

Don't worry Dave, you'll be getting plenty from me when the relevant types appear! :yes:

Dave.

I ordered the 5 pack of SR rail beam buffers which I hope is now somewhere enroute to these far distant shores. I could not resist after seeing the pix above. I have some Ragstone 4mm buffers from a year or so ago left so did not need new timber beam buffers. The peco universals were history with my previous layout based pm Brixham.

I am well buffered now.

best

Dave,

Is there any chance of a GWR buffer stop(s) appearing in your range?

Gordon A

Bristol

Indeed Gordon - not only that but they will be based on examples that existed until circa 1984 in the 'up' sidings at Bristol East Depot - almost within sight!

Gerry

Hi Eddie, the first one is on the list but with the correct timber beam and brackets, the PWay gang have just put a sleeper and chairs on that one. It's a late Caledonian design and I have the drawings and photos from a number of sources now.

The second one is already out, our number BS02. An LMS wartime design perpetuated by BR to anywhere in Britain.

Funny that the Caley one is at Crainlarich but it did happen, the PWay people needed a replacement bufferstop and there was one lying in the yard at Perth.....

I have a drawing for the original WHR design of bufferstop from the NB Study Group and I may do it later.

Hope that helps.

Dave Franks.

Hi Dave

Thanks for the reply and info on the bufferstops, will try a couple of the BS02 order on its way

Regards Eddie

Just a thought on the Midland Railway buffers but did the three vertical rails each side go down into the ground, and attach to a buried second layer of track to get more resistance to movement? I seem to have read or heard that somewhere but don't remember when.

The LNWR also used deep rooted buffers made out of Pitch Pine, half of one remains at the south end of Hemel Hempstead station. The vertical posts go down about 15' into the ground going by one I saw pulled out at Tring.

Just a thought on the Midland Railway buffers but did the three vertical rails each side go down into the ground, and attach to a buried second layer of track to get more resistance to movement? I seem to have read or heard that somewhere but don't remember when.

The LNWR also used deep rooted buffers made out of Pitch Pine, half of one remains at the south end of Hemel Hempstead station. The vertical posts go down about 15' into the ground going by one I saw pulled out at Tring.

Yes the MR ones do, as do the LYR. I suspect the similar HR and NER designs do as well. And it is not just the three vertical rails, but the front and rear legs as well that attach to the lower hidden piece of track. In the case of these, the second piece of track is immediately below the sleepers of the visible track. But in the case of the seemingly puny NBR bufferstop shown in post 102,  the supporting track is deeply buried.

Chris

Morning all, the Southern Railway bufferstops have suddenly sold out, probably with the monies left over from 'Ally pally'. However, I had planned to do a casting today so should be back in stock tomorrow, apologises to anyone who ordered since the weekend. The L&Y bufferstops should be ready tomorrow too if they cast okay, fingers crossed.

To Mike the Stationmaster, that's one that I intend doing but I'll need to think about the rails that come forward like checkrails, EM/P4 should be okay but OO might need a different casting, BtoB you know.... 

Dave Franks

Archived