Project 43 - The North British B-B Warships

Phil Bullock

So back on to a catch up with Zambesi

Heres how the Pullman umber looked in natural light ...

attachicon.gifDSC00932.JPG

Far too pale ....

So had to go to Halfords to get a new headlamp bulb for Betsy before heading for Ponty and Cardiff later today....The thought struck, what about car paint? Not a wide choice of browns but thought one might be suitable...

attachicon.gifDSC00933.JPG

What do others think? My colour vision is useless!

And what colour is it? Brazilian Brown! Appropriate for a spray job below the waist line for sure....

Phil

The underframe brown was totally different to the Pullman umber, at the depot I worked at we had tins of both Pullman and the under frame brown. The under frame brown was a much richer colour that looked more like a dark chocolate with a hint of purple in it.

The underframe brown was totally different to the Pullman umber, at the depot I worked at we had tins of both Pullman and the under frame brown. The under frame brown was a much richer colour that looked more like a dark chocolate with a hint of purple in it.

Something like this Railmatch SR Goods BrownDscf0025_640.jpg

Something like this Railmatch SR Goods BrownDscf0025_640.jpg

Not far off, Railmatch used to do the right colour along with Precision Paints.

Phil has it not to far off, when it was first applied it used to have a nice sheen to it but after a few trips through the washer and encrusted grime it soon toned down.

Al Taylor.

Edited by 45125

• RMweb Gold

And here she is - just needs coupling loops and a final weathering .... only light, she wasn't in this livery for very long so wouldn't have got in to a state...

post-7138-0-12652700-1489339454_thumb.jpg

Superb following along not so far behind...

A quick shot between the showers, rain drops showing there!

Phil

Edited by Phil Bullock
  • Like 13

• RMweb Gold

She will John... Pop over and say hi.

Booked workings are 4V03 brum to bristol parcels and 1M77 Fo Penzance to Manchester but am sure she will put in other appearances too

Phil

• 6 months later...
  • 5 months later...
  • RMweb Gold

So ribaldry apart....we have been working away over the last few months and have got to the point where we have decided to have a final push before we start on Abbotswood Mk2 - which of course is the raison de etre for the fleet

So an hours work tonight gave us this ...

post-7138-0-92206600-1521322425_thumb.jpg

Having done a few already we have it down to a fine art .... only takes about 6-7 mins per loco to strip completely, including glazing out. Those bodies have all gone in to the bag of oven pride overnight , all the tampo printing will be gone by tomorrow - when Jimbo is coming round to help fit all those lovely lifting eyes and roof vents.

We hope we might have the class completed by the summer ...

Phil

• Like 5

• RMweb Gold

So ribaldry apart....we have been working away over the last few months and have got to the point where we have decided to have a final push before we start on Abbotswood Mk2 - which of course is the raison de etre for the fleet

So an hours work tonight gave us this ...

attachicon.gifDSC01017.JPG

Having done a few already we have it down to a fine art .... only takes about 6-7 mins per loco to strip completely, including glazing out. Those bodies have all gone in to the bag of oven pride overnight , all the tampo printing will be gone by tomorrow - when Jimbo is coming round to help fit all those lovely lifting eyes and roof vents.

We hope we might have the class completed by the summer ...

Phil

And then they can all be painted in green livery - now there's an excellent idea ;)

• RMweb Gold

Ah sorry Mike

The last 10 are all blue ones! D845/52/54 already done in green - they were late survivors, 852 with its D painted out - and needless to say all 3 were in a pretty bad state in that livery

The Oven pride has done its work overnight ....https://www.sainsburys.co.uk/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/gb/groceries/oven-pride-oven-liquid-box-500ml?langId=44&storeId=10151&krypto=ZCK2om2pVEgFoshbXbC9V2rWojfLehmr1e%2B%2B3e1zpEQFgsAkOH69a8945I7bYJy4s48diJYo2vnozWqzLFeisFV2r5uwKI8M8XNKsSkmw1vouQwb5M5w%2BAvcEp4wsEYcEVZmccbg3bk4ocu7eb3eW83LLXFhxUWNTPmMa1wu8mNKv8HdNzPUpSxXb2pqHyPz0JdF%2F%2FgxzyJicAIUL9a1DnkR%2F6aqGiaIc80jFF3rCFl1NgfTf6v9NlPCeTcWXqgzaALp%2FUF9q%2BVlcZiIs5mTsGcvVlVctMZ7EI5PGCa9XLQd9eH4CPvdgREAnGQgF0sN&ddkey=https%3Agb%2Fgroceries%2Foven-pride-oven-liquid-box-500ml - default method now for removing tampo printing, doesn't touch any paintwork including any factory weathering.

This batch are 833/7/41/6/51/6/60/3/5 - a mix of final banger blue with single arrow, early blue with two cabside arrows and 846 with arrow over nameplate....

Next job is 200 lifting rings to fit   think we will need carers after that lot Mike!

Phil

• RMweb Gold

!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

What time does your carer visit this morning Mike?

Mike.

My memory of them arriving brand new is still reasonably fresh so therefore they are green as far as I'm concerned.  None of this new fangled blue colour scheme nonsense for me and definitely none of that 'ell of a mess pink abomination of a colour scheme ;)

My memory of them arriving brand new is still reasonably fresh so therefore they are green as far as I'm concerned.  None of this new fangled blue colour scheme nonsense for me and definitely none of that 'ell of a mess pink abomination of a colour scheme ;)

Agree absolutely! Original green is the only colour for 'Warships'. The full yellow ends only ever worked on flat-fronted designs (i.e. the 'Eastleigh'-ended multiple units). I could never understand why straight lines were thought to be a good idea on rounded ends, but then 1960s 'design' was a law unto itself. A certain magazine had an all lower case masthead, which - when I studied print design in 1970, was something I was taught that you NEVER do! It's like the idea of an un-made bed being 'art'! (CJL)

• Like 1

Agree absolutely! Original green is the only colour for 'Warships'. The full yellow ends only ever worked on flat-fronted designs (i.e. the 'Eastleigh'-ended multiple units). I could never understand why straight lines were thought to be a good idea on rounded ends, but then 1960s 'design' was a law unto itself. A certain magazine had an all lower case masthead, which - when I studied print design in 1970, was something I was taught that you NEVER do! It's like the idea of an un-made bed being 'art'! (CJL)

Ere! What's wrong with my bed, then?   - Tracy  :D

• RMweb Gold

So 833 is one of our final large batch. We discussed her delivery with Swindon pattern grilles back up the thread - but did she carry them to the bitter end?

Cheers

Phil