C&M Models commission Scotrail Mark 3s

Mike at C&M

the mk3 in my picture of post 245 is actually a colour match for the last release of Dapol mk3s branded INTERCITY, LH and HST, simply because it was part of the last release and is a branding error sold off cheap, so I bought a load to rebrand.  But, the 'buff' shade matches all the HST and other LH mk3s I have irrespective of whether they are branded InterCity or INTERCITY

Exactly, either way Dapol took the shortcut and completed them all in the same base livery colours, but they should be different (InterCity and ScotRail with lighter grey)

Initially I was not going to buy any, but on closer inspection I confirmed some were "reasonably" correct

As an aside, Farish may release a Class 47 in InterCity Mainline livery, and this would match the INTERCITY coaches!

Edited by mjkerr

• 2 months later...

Any more scotrail mk3's coming or have I missed the boat?

Very unlikely as Farish have now ended their production of the 47/7

A set appeared a few weeks ago and went for about £120

Ironically, we are STILL waiting for the Mark 2F coaches and DBSO

Feels like the Dapol HST all over again...

• RMweb Premium

As I missed the boat on the C and M ScotRail mk3's I have made do with Dapol's cheap ten quid sell offs suitably adapted with transfers for the blue stripe etc.

We have no intention of doing another run of the Scotrail Mark 3s for a number of reasons. Amongst these are:

- A second run will not sell anywhere near as quickly as the first run. We are a business, and whether anyone likes it or not, first and foremost, we are there to make money

- I cannot recall anyone ever having repeated a limited edition commissioned series

- As with the first batch, we would need to piggyback on to the back of Dapol producing a run of Mark 3 coaches for their own range, and we are not aware that that is going to happen. One batch of coaches is not enough to trigger a production run by itself.

Mike at C&M

• 1 year later...

The key to commissioning models such as these is knowing what the manufacturer are producing in the future. Unfortunately, Dapol are very poor with their information as to what models they are going to re-release, so it is nigh-on impossible to plan doing a limited edition such as these coaches.

Our original commission was done when Dave Jones was still at Dapol. He was prepared to discuss Dapol's future plans, and the whole deal was finalised within a week. If only the current regime would be so open with their information.

With such a delay with the mk2 DMBO from Farish any chance of a rerun? Or someone changed their mind and want to sell me a set?

More correctly the DBSO

I am waiting for the entire range of Farish Mark 2F coaches, and have been since 2013

Obviously the TSO will not quite be correct, but it is a compromise on the older Farish version

Which livery are you after?

Blue / Grey Mark 3 coaches are easily modified, simply renumber

ScotRail livery can be completed by modifying the InterCity livery coaches

That's it. Don't know where DMBO came from! It's the proper Scotrail blue stripe set I was after. I don't mind repainting models, just less hastel if there is a nice rtr set.

87029, thanks for the response. Sadly I thought I knew that was coming. But you don't ask, you don't get :) I shall continue to watch eBay.

That's it. Don't know where DMBO came from! It's the proper Scotrail blue stripe set I was after. I don't mind repainting models, just less hastel if there is a nice rtr set.

87029, thanks for the response. Sadly I thought I knew that was coming. But you don't ask, you don't get :) I shall continue to watch eBay.

Mr.Chapman,

You are welcome.

At the end of the day, I, like any other business, am in this to make money. I cannot foresee easily selling another 200 sets, even with the release of the DBSO to come. So I cannot jusitfy tying up money in a re-run of these coaches, even if Dapol were able to fit me in with another production run.

Sorry.

- I cannot recall anyone ever having repeated a limited edition commissioned series

Dapol have done this - they produced A4 and A3 in BR blue as 60022 and 60103 for Modellbahn Union. A few years later these were produced again as standard run models. Must have really riled collectors.......

Cheers,

Alan

• RMweb Premium

Dapol have done this - they produced A4 and A3 in BR blue as 60022 and 60103 for Modellbahn Union. A few years later these were produced again as standard run models. Must have really riled collectors.......

Cheers,

Alan

Farish have also done this with the RTC 24 and coaches

• RMweb Premium

Farish have also re-done the SR bogie brake and the LMS Inspection saloon (both NGS projects initially). I believe this is because Farish retain the rights to the tooling and only promise not to re-use it for a period of 3-4 years after the initial commissioned/limited edition release.

Dapol (did?) work slightly differently. Any custom model (such as the NGS Stove R) remained under the ownership of who ever commissioned it. I suspect that's not the case with re-liveries of existing/standard models.

Steven B.

• 1 month later...

Hi Gang,

I think the chap was selling them for £220 Buy It Now plus a bit for postage....a nice mark up!!

If I need any more, I think it will be a blue stripe from Fox over the red on an InterCity and the wording and numbers changed for Scotrail versions!!

Later,

Stu from EGDL.

Hi Gang,

I think the chap was selling them for £220 Buy It Now plus a bit for postage....a nice mark up!!

If I need any more, I think it will be a blue stripe from Fox over the red on an InterCity and the wording and numbers changed for Scotrail versions!!

Later,

Stu from EGDL.

I totally understand where your coming from. In fact that was the plan! But sometimes it's nice to just take something you really want out the box. I think a second set would have to be a respray though. Unless Mr Westie has a moment of weakness :D

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 years later...