C&M Models commission Scotrail Mark 3s

Mike at C&M

Hi Gang,

Saw the Blue/Grey set in a local shop the other day....

Decision made.....sorry Dapol...your printing is awful on this one....might look ok next to 56070.

Memo to Dapol management...please seek a modern livery expert...there are many within the hobby/industry who would be willing to help for very little recognition or recompense....

Later,

Stu from EGDL.

They don't even need an expert, just someone who can look at a photograph and knows how to play spot the difference.

• RMweb Gold

They don't even need an expert, just someone who can look at a photograph and knows how to play spot the difference.

Hi bennyboy,

In theory you're right, but I know from experience in drawing up and checking (with assistance) livery samples for the NGS snowploughs, QM brakevans, LMS Inspection saloons and Collett BGs that it's incredibly easy to miss things, or get typefaces wrong, or position lettering in the wrong place, if it's not an era you're familiar with.  I could see at a glance that the BR double arrow on the first release 58s was wrongly proportioned (they've got it right since) but I would not be able to confidently say whether a GW roundel was too heavy, too light or just right. 

Just playing "spot the difference" may not be possible if you cannot find a good quality photograph of your chosen prototype.  Sometimes you do need to use deduction and intuition, especially with older vehicles, though I accept that isn't the case with Mk3 coaches which are recent enough for there to be plenty of photographic evidence, and living experts still with us!

cheers

Ben A.

• Like 1

Hi bennyboy,

In theory you're right, but I know from experience in drawing up and checking (with assistance) livery samples for the NGS snowploughs, QM brakevans, LMS Inspection saloons and Collett BGs that it's incredibly easy to miss things, or get typefaces wrong, or position lettering in the wrong place, if it's not an era you're familiar with.  I could see at a glance that the BR double arrow on the first release 58s was wrongly proportioned (they've got it right since) but I would not be able to confidently say whether a GW roundel was too heavy, too light or just right. 

Just playing "spot the difference" may not be possible if you cannot find a good quality photograph of your chosen prototype.  Sometimes you do need to use deduction and intuition, especially with older vehicles, though I accept that isn't the case with Mk3 coaches which are recent enough for there to be plenty of photographic evidence, and living experts still with us!

cheers

Ben A.

Getting something wrong on a model of an obscure 1940s prototype is understandable, but making a mistake that could have been spotted with a sixty second search on Google is just incompetence.

• RMweb Gold

Getting something wrong on a model of an obscure 1940s prototype is understandable, but making a mistake that could have been spotted with a sixty second search on Google is just incompetence.

Hi bennyboy,

Perhaps I didn't explain myself well enough. It's not just obscure prototypes (though of course, obscure can be very different things to different people) but checking anything is surprisingly difficult, as I know from experience. You can correct a dozen mistakes but miss the 13th and then, when it's pointed out, you will find it impossible to believe that you missed it!

No one wants these errors to creep in but they do. And I think "incompetence" is a little unfair.

Cheers

Ben A.

• RMweb Gold

Hi Not in a push pull sort of way, but  37/0, 37/4 47/4 and 55  recorded at the helm on no E+G duties. I also expect the Mcrats made a showing but cannot instantly recall.

The 37s hauled them on Ediburgh - Oban excursions as did the Deltic - perhaps only once or twice. 47/4 hauled to Inverness and Aberdeen.  I cannot recall any southern Scotland work in my little memory ! - but more than willing to be proved wrong.  

Mind you when transfered south back to WCML duties I guess they left hauled by AC stock- again I cannot recall a picture.

Rule one can also apply on your model!

Robert   

• 7 months later...
  • 3 months later...

According to the interview with Bachmann in the May BRM I would not expect the DBSO this year. The hold up appears to be in design capacity in the Kader group and recruiting enough engineers to fulfil the "too ambitious" 2013 announcements which included 46 items of new tooling across the 00 and N ranges.

According to the interview with Bachmann in the May BRM I would not expect the DBSO this year. The hold up appears to be in design capacity in the Kader group and recruiting enough engineers to fulfil the "too ambitious" 2013 announcements which included 46 items of new tooling across the 00 and N ranges.

I noticed that on the Farish 2015 announcements thread it says that the MK 2F coaches aren't even in the first stage of production, so I can see it being another 18 months before they turn up!

• 6 months later...

Mike,

Didn't want to start a new topic

Now that the ScotRail Mark 3A coaches are sold out and the Dapol Class 156 is imminent, what is planned next?

Perhaps make a short list, then put it to a vote?

I have been looking at what Farish and Dapol produce

Noted you have not completed Limited Editions with Farish, but sadly that appears to be the missing item!

A -

Mark 2 / 2A in original ScotRail or later SCOTRAIL livery, Farish TSO and BSO (as no BFK available)

Class 37/4 in SCOTRAIL livery (optional)

B -

Dapol Class 156 in original SPTE (orange and black) livery

C -

Dapol HST with Scottish depot names, and SC prefixes in Blue / Grey or InterCity livery

Hallo,

what about waiting a year or two.... then

D -

Dapol HST in the new ScotRail livery as a 5-car pack

or

E -

work with Ben and Mike to have the 321 appear in Strathclyde PTE (if this is not one of the liveries which will be made)

my "mustard" to the subject as we say in Germany

es grüßt

pc

Guest eddie reffin

Or a Class 156 in Scotrail livery of the 1990s, Scotrail National Express and Scotrail First Rail livery.

That would be my mustard.

Markus

First Scotrail is easy to do. Get the old First Northern one and buy the transfers from Precision Labels like the unit I have done.

post-3930-0-66526600-1444503781_thumb.jpg

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium

Just in case you are curious what 199 Dapol N Gauge Class 156s looks like, here is you answer.

Presumably one of those is mine!!  Looking forward to receiving it.

i didnt see many but know they existed and thats airconditioned Mk2s in blue and grey branded "Inter-City ScotRail".   Could be a goer but not ideal for limited editions if folk want to run full rakes.

Not sure but they might have been the Mk2f variety which Farish are of course due to release with new tooling soon......

How about an Eastfield (west highland terrier) or Motherwell (leaping salmon) BR Blue split headcode class 37 (named)??? 

• RMweb Premium

The new G/F Class 37/4 tooling in Regional Railways livery with Scotrail names would be a nice choice for a follow up.  I have an older tooling one that I adapted but next to the new tooling versions it looks a bit ancient. 

• Like 1

My information might be wrong/out of date but I believe a minimum production run for a farish limited edition is significantly larger than Dapol's minimum which I guess makes it much more of a risk for a "small" retailer- especially for coaching  stock requiring at least a couple of variants.

Remembering the thread on the TMC large logo 37, there are not many options appropriate to the Farish split headcode tooling.

An intercity liveried 37/4 that suits Scotland and Cornwell could be a viable option?

Looking at the Dapol "Scottish" range, just about all the 26/27 variant's have been offered, especially without the tooling option for the tablet catcher, with significant numbers still available from the box-shifters (although despite the multitude of green and blue 26s, they have not done railfreight since the initial release and only did Dutch as a club trainpack special)

I wouldn't dream of suggesting that I understand the retail side of railway modelling or Mike's business in particular but viable options do seem to keep coming back to the 156

Rob (eagerly awaiting my Scotrail 156)