C&M Models commission Scotrail Mark 3s

Mike at C&M

Remembering the thread on the TMC large logo 37, there are not many options appropriate to the Farish split headcode tooling.

An intercity liveried 37/4 that suits Scotland and Cornwell could be a viable option?

The TMC Large Logo Class 37 would probably have sold better, if the base model / example actually matched slightly better

I appreciate compromises have to be made, but when selecting an example for more refined modellers, more attention has to be paid to detail

Expect other livery releases on the Class 37/4 in due course

However, as has been pointed out the Large Logo Blue didn't actually sell as well as expected!

The InterCity Mainline will probably sell just as well, but the Regional Railways / SCOTRAIL presents Farish an issue as these coaches are not currently available, but could be released from the Mark 2A version

As Rob says, we don't have the financial clout that Hattons, Kernow and others have, so we do have to consider what production runs we can piggyback on to.

He is also correct is saying that Dapol will do smaller runs than Bachmann/Farish, and they do smaller runs than Hornby. We did throw an idea at Bachmann for a limited edition, which will not go ahead for reasons I know, but I am not prepared to divulge. In no way must this count as a negative against Bachmann, they could not have been more helpful.

There are ideas swimming around in my head, and some of the suggestions being made here give further food for thought. At some point in the future, a decision will be made.

• Like 3

Moot point but the Large logo 37/4 is the only one that has sold out at Bachmann/Farish at the moment..

I do hope Farish have sold out of more than that!

However, that is central stock and just proves how poor demand for the Large Logo 37/4 was

Perhaps they sold out after I purchased seven

I had better get my order for the final batch of ScotRail 47/7 in!

I was referring to the New DCC ready 37/4. The large logo one is the only version of the 37/4 and 37/5 that has sold out at Bachmann towers..

That isn't bad considering there has been a few versions of large logo 37/4's in the recent  past that have all sold out. To my mind it means that large logo is a popular livery and has sold well. I think the Inter-city type liveries would sell well too.

Looks like the Scotrail 47/7's are going to go quick too!

Getting back on topic, anyone got any GOOD ideas for Mike??

Cheers

Mark

Getting back on topic, anyone got any GOOD ideas for Mike??

Most likely another Dapol item, there is just too much risk with Farish

I am struggling to think of something (Dapol) that has not already been released, but this is another one I was considering for a repaint :

Class 26

Civil Engineers Grey / Yellow

• Like 1

Guest eddie reffin

What about the Caledonian Sleeper 67? After speaking to a GBRF driver on Monday, think we are likely to see them around up here for a good while yet. There are very serious concerns about how the 73s will cope over the HML during winter even when double headed.

I wondered about the 67 as well- but would there be the required demand without the coaching stock being available?  Mike's previous specials have been a train in its own right or the coaches that enabled a complete train to be modelled in conjunction with announced models from Farish

Do the 67s get used for anything else during the day? I seem to recall that the 67 from the Inverness sleeper used to get employed on TTAs to Lairg

There was a 26/0 in Dutch as a collectors club exclusive with 6 dogfish some time ago but a Dutch 26/1 for example might be attractive alongside elements of the newly announced DJM wagon range and existing Dapol and Farish engineers stock

Rob 

Guest eddie reffin

I wondered about the 67 as well- but would there be the required demand without the coaching stock being available?  Mike's previous specials have been a train in its own right or the coaches that enabled a complete train to be modelled in conjunction with announced models from Farish

Do the 67s get used for anything else during the day? I seem to recall that the 67 from the Inverness sleeper used to get employed on TTAs to Lairg

There was a 26/0 in Dutch as a collectors club exclusive with 6 dogfish some time ago but a Dutch 26/1 for example might be attractive alongside elements of the newly announced DJM wagon range and existing Dapol and Farish engineers stock

Rob

The 67s don't get used for anything else here in Inverness. The Lairg tanks are operated by a DB 66 from the RETB fitted pool. We tend to have EWS liveried 67s on our portion of the sleeper with the duo of 67007/11 very regular over the last few weeks.

• 1 month later...

http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/69564-cm-models-commission-scotrail-mark-3s/page-4&do=findComment&comment=1173019

At the time the Farish 47/7 had not been released

Does anyone have the C&M ScotRail mk3s and a Farish ScotRail 47/7 also, and if so could they be so kind as to post a piccie of the loco with a mk3 please?  I'd like to see how good a match the ScotRail mk3s are for the 47/7 colours you see

I can confirm they are a VERY CLOSE match, and from a distance you would not notice anything

It is not until closer inspection you may notice some minor flaws

The first is the white and blue stripe are the same width / height vertically, however this is better than the original Dapol InterCity red stripes which are vastly worse

The second are the numerals, sadly they are the same format as Dapol InterCity and so are too large

All my Class 47/7 locos are weathered (or will be by the middle of next year) so trying to compare to the coaches is not really possible

or we could go down the Sealink Stranraer-Glasgow (and the odd other route such as the GSW) boat train liveried Mk1 route in N gauge - Bachmann have the artwork as theyve already done two of the coaches in 00.  Ideal for haulage behind type 2s and class 47s.

In fact a 6 or 7 coach book set would I reckon go down an absolute storm with n gaugers..........just another idea to chew on or spit out.

• Like 1

Thanks for those links, but I'm mostly concerned about the Dapol 'buff' colour

Apologies, I thought you were looking at the comparison of the Farish 47/7 and the Dapol ScotRail Mark 3 coach

As above, the match is VERY close

Equally, I suspect the light grey is correct on the Dapol InterCity coach, but I do not have any in this livery

However...

I do have the Dapol INTERCITY livery, so have put this together for you

IMG_0472resize.jpg

What you will note is the height of the white and red stripe on the INTERCITY coach!

As above, you will also note their heights are round the wrong way (thick white, thin red)

Next is the height of the Mark 3 coach, and confirms the Class 47 is higher!

I have compared photos of Class 47 locos next to Mark 3 coaches, and whilst a little exaggerated, it is correct

Overall, the Dapol ScotRail are VASTLY superior, the extra research has paid off

I was so impressed I purchased a fourth rake (as Colin well knows!)

I am even tempted to purchase a fifth rake, if I manage to complete all the 47/7 locos...

As an aside, this 47710 is to become 47703 in the middle of 2016

Finally, do not forget in the early 1990s in the last months of loco hauled ScotEail Express services (and you could hardly call them 47/7 or push-pull), there were several INTERCITY livery coaches, and not always with a DBSO!

I have one such rake which will operate with a 47/7 and DBSO

Edited by mjkerr

Your picture shows just what I mean about Dapol and their colours.  In your pic you can clearly see that the Executive Light Grey (buff) is different in shade between the Dapol general release IC livery and the C&M commissioned Scotrail mk3, when in reality they should be exactly the same.  They should also be the same as the 156 'Sprinter/Super Sprinter'

It looks like you are missing what Dapol have actually done wrong

The coach on the LEFT is in (later) INTERCITY livery, and the light grey is CORRECT

The photo in post #245 above is in the (original) InterCity livery, and the light grey is INCORRECT

However, on the ScotRail livery this is correct, and as you have pointed out has also correctly been used on their Class 156 in Provincial (Sprinter / SuperSprinter) livery

We then get to the later batch of Mark 3 buffet, and these have all manner of errors!

Thankfully, it is easy enough to remove the "InterCity" and replace with "INTERCITY", so matches the light grey