SECR 'H' from a 14XX?

A discussion in the always good fun Ebay Madness thread has revealed that an article in the October 1995 issue of MORILL showed how to produce an SECR 'H' Class from a 14XX. 

(There was also mention of an earlier article regarding the same conversion, starting with a Hornby Dublo R1). Just wondered if anyone has attempted either (specifically the 14XX conversion) and can provide any advice on the merits or otherwise of this?

Ta

Having just found and looked at the article in question , I'm not sure I'd call it a conversion. I quote : "The new bits amount to something in the region of cab, bunker back, boiler and smokebox." Those are the bits of the body you'll be scratchbuilding.... 

Whilst I think its best to solder the larger parts, lots of whitemetal kits have been succsessfully built using epoxy glue.

As for soldering, I now never rely on resin in the solder even for electrical joints.

1 Have clean metal

2 For soldering whitemetal, put shavings of low melt solder onto the joint, not on to iron

3 Plenty of liquid flux

4 Hot iron on work long enough to evaporate the flux

5 Clean flux residue off work

The larger pieces of whitemetal do act as a bit of a heat sink (you have a lot more lee way with them), and dont forget the solder melts at 70 degrees. To undo the joint put into boiling water.

But I bet more kits are put together with epoxy glue, which is much better than the old days of contact adhesive

Scaling a drawing from Google images to 4mm (as close as I could get it) the Dublo/Wrenn R1* is a close match as far as the rear of the cab. A new bunker would be required (A nice square shape, but the curved top might be a problem). Otherwise the running plate in front of the smokebox needs shortening, and the the front sandboxes and the moulded handrails require removal.

The leading axle is more or less in the right place, but the second axle is about 4mm too far forward ( coupled wheelbase 7' 6"?). This presents problems as this is the driven axle, but the driving wheels are, in any case too small (19mm (4' 9") as against 22mm (5' 6").

The bogie wheelbase appears to be 5' 3" (21mm).

* It should be as the H  and R1 classes had the same boiler.

He might have to, unless he can't stand soldering whitemetal!!

Also, nobody has produced the correct driving wheel for the "H" class since Sharman Wheels went down the pan.

and there ain't no more of them either "KOF"

Scaling a drawing from Google images to 4mm (as close as I could get it) the Dublo/Wrenn R1* is a close match as far as the rear of the cab. A new bunker would be required (A nice square shape, but the curved top might be a problem).

A few H class locos had flat sided bunkers - I think this was to allow better visibility for the driver when work sandwiched between a pair of driving trailers. One of those would be even easier.

• 4 weeks later...

Hope this is of some help. theres a guy on ebay selling resin body kits that fit onto a modified Triang/Hornby M7 chassis.

I have had a go at this resin H model. See my workbench.

This documents the problems I had and my attempts to produce a presentable model.

(This is in another forum I am afraid. I just can't post in multiple forums, life is too short.)

BTW I have a spare H resin body if you want it (gratis).

Short piece in the latest June 'Model Rail' no 183 about converting a H.Dublo R1 to an H class. Uses a 'Branchlines' etched brass chassis and Comet bogie.

It is indeed a short piece. It is certainly not a step by step!

It seems that the constructor has been using Branchlines R1 etched chassis with Wrenn/Dublo R1 bodies (as R1 0-6-0Ts.) and has adapted an R1 chassis kit by replacing the rear driving wheels with a modified Comet "Loco" bogie.

The two pictures of the model show the body part way through, with the bunker lengthened with white plastic card (No dimensions given.) and the finished model in SR Black livery (Starboard Side View.)

There is also a nice Starboard side view of 263 in SECR livery on the Bluebell Railway.

So, I may still have a go at a Wrenn/Dublo R1 body, and a Tri-ang Hornby M7 Chassis at some point!  ;)

Archived