Please use M,M&M only for topics that do not fit within other forum areas. All topics posted here await admin team approval to ensure they don't belong elsewhere.

Science Fiction models and model railways

HI all,

I hope this is the right place to post this request to gauge interest in an unusual topic.

I have been asked by one of the organisers of the 72nd World Science Fiction Convention which is being held in London next summer (August 2014) as to whether any railway modellers are interested in exhibiting there.

http://www.loncon3.org/

(btw this isn't comic con the one with all the people dressed up in batman etc outfits)

Does anyone (or a group/society) have a layout that already exists that is based on a sci fi theme or do they have something that could be converted? Equally is someone interested in building something completely new? (maybe steampunk or a future city or maybe something based in the present day /recent past but with a sci fi twist)?

I'm pretty sure I read an article in one of the model railway mags on a layout set in the 1800s and based on a sci fi or fantasy book a few months ago so I need to try and track that down but that is the only one I can think of. Does anyone know of any others?

I was also wondering whether this could be a topic for a RM Web competition? E.g. design a model of a sci fi tech train or something like that? All entries could be exhibited there with the winners receiving a prize at the convention or something like that?

(as with all exhibitions, they can pay exhibiting expenses but not the cost of actually building something)

I'm just the go-between although if someone does want to try and build a layout in the NW London/Watford area then I'm very happy to lend a hand, if not any specific actual skills.

I realise that in general model railway people (and I count myself as one even if a young family have prevented me building anything for a few years) look to recreate the past rather than predict the future but I figured there could well be a cross-over somewhere and that someone would fancy having a go at something a bit different.

I'm happy to respond to questions/have discussions etc.

Many thanks!

Matthew

• RMweb Gold

My location rules me out, but this sounds really interesting! I hope some people take you up on this, it would be great to read about them.

Now anyone know a company that makes red planet ballast?

Maybe something based upon the Transmariners Railroad in John Carpenter's Ghosts of Mars,

ghosts-of-mars-images.jpg

Cheers,

Mick

The 'tank depot' would be a relatively easy scratchbuld and the loco could be adapted from any bogie diesel, although I'd be tempted start with a US one.

steve

• RMweb Gold

I'm in South London, but have bus pass, will travel. I'm interested in this and would be happy to be involved if anyting comes of this.

As another inspiration, isn't there a brief flashback to a monorail in Stranger in a strange land?

Btw, off topic, as no trains yet, but I saw this artist at Greenwich market yesterday, and was interested by his work.

http://cutnpastegraphics.co.uk/

Thanks

Dave

• RMweb Premium

I recently read a steampunk/SF novel I bought for my son which has a steam powered interplanetary space railway that plays a major part in the action. The workings aren't described in detail but small illustrations show the trains have wheels above and below the rails (in relation to the loco/coach) gripping the rails. I can't remember the title and it's in a book pile upstairs ; I'll look for it later.

Pete

None of the Sci-Fi railway models I can think of are in the UK, but they do show what can be achieved.  Chris Walas made Submarine Pirates in Gn15, plus his large scale creations.  The Gnatterers are likely to be up for this sort of challenge, if Jack is about I'm sure he'll copy across your notice (I've long since lost my log in details).  I will copy this across to Brass Goggles for you.

Some of Christopher Payne's models are within a whisker of being steampunk.

Some Googling suggests Clash at North Ridge by Laurie Calvert.

Sci-fi trains (copy, paste and add to the list):

- Ghosts of Mars, by John Carpenter

- Back to the Future

- Iron Council, by China Miéville

- Wild, Wild West

- Dishonered, I've got as far as trying to work out how four-rail points would work.  The rail car would make an interesting large scale model.

• RMweb Premium

The Ghosts of Mars train has got me thinking of a rail equivalent of Mad Max or Waterworld.

Desolate scenery, take a basic HO/OO diesel switcher or small steam loco, and a few coaches/wagons and armour/tank them up.

The legend being the plot from North West Frontier (ok, it's basically the Stagecoach plot reworked) given a dieselpunk or steampunk treatment.  Scenically, it's as long a run as you want between a couple of tunnels. Roundy-roundy with a fiddle-yard at the rear to you can occasionally swap between a couple of trains.

One more sci-fi -ish train, the Goldeneye train from the James Bond franchise.  Which just goes to show what can be achieved with a Class 20 and a snowplough if you want a sci-fi look.

That loco looks like someone's crossed an A4 with a Class 70 and added smoke deflectors for good measure!

Hmmm..more like a US diesel, single high cab etc. I never understood why dual cabs were used on the 70 - without the extra cab a single cab would have made more sense (er, if you see what I mean).

I can add a couple of French references. There seems to be a whole French SF cycle  , Compagnie des Glaces , set on a frozen Earth dominated by various railway companies . I haven't read it

There is also a 2 part steampunk cycle by Mathieu Gaborit , Boheme, set in what seems to be a world of city states linked by railways on endless wrought iron viaducts across a vast sea of some glutenous acidic stuff which appears to have engulfed the world . My French isn't quite good enough to work out the stuff actually is . I don't think this is available in English translation, but Volk's Brighton and Rottingdean project ("Daddy Long-Legs") might provide some kind of vague reference

• RMweb Gold

Hi all,

There is a sort of EMU type train in the 1990 version of Total Recall that runs between the inhabited areas of Mars.

There's also an interesting future train in the more recent film "The Island", starring Ewan McGregor and Scarlet Johannsen.  I couldn't find any images online, but both films seem to be repeated fairly frequently on ITV2.

cheers

Ben A.

Possibly the ultimate Sci-fi model train is this http://www.ecodacs2.nerima.tokyo.jp/rehsi/essya-ensenhuukei.html

If you click on the left-hand link at the bottom of the page - it will tke you to further picture explaining the concept

The right hand link will take you to a lot of other small tramway layouts - including a very small G gauge tram that I love!

Why not look to the classics. Perhaps a nice late Victorian/Edwardian LSWR suburban panorama, with pre-grouping liveries and a green flash in the sky up at one end and Fighting Machines at the other? ;)

(I now realise part of the reason I like Copenhagen Fields is that it reminds me of the painting of Dead London from the album.)

Isn't there someone on this forum who recently did a good rendition of a 1984 esq type layout. 

There are plenty of sci fi type railways out there. Computer gamers will be aware of the network that features in Half Life 2 (some nice russian esq loco hauled trains there). But do not forget that Thunderbirds had some pretty cool looking monorail trains and if I recall in one of the comic books they had the details of the station where an HST was pictured on the classic lines. 

I would be really interested to see how this goes! 

• RMweb Gold

Isn't there someone on this forum who recently did a good rendition of a 1984 esq type layout. 

There are plenty of sci fi type railways out there. Computer gamers will be aware of the network that features in Half Life 2 (some nice russian esq loco hauled trains there). But do not forget that Thunderbirds had some pretty cool looking monorail trains and if I recall in one of the comic books they had the details of the station where an HST was pictured on the classic lines. 

I would be really interested to see how this goes! 

I believe this it it

http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/blog/810/entry-10207-1984/

Archived