Walton on the hill 27E Liverpool, EM gauge.

Michael Delamar

• 2 weeks later...

Scenic work is still ongoing with carving of the celotex.

But at the moment I am working on a comet chassis for a Hornby Fowler tank. I wanted a later body with the better lining and this along with the Comet chassis was supplied a while ago by 2 rmweb members. Ive recenly just bought the Markits wheels and High level motor and gearbox for it. Still in its early stages.

post-27-0-93377900-1500727968_thumb.jpg

• Like 10

• RMweb Premium

Hi Michael

Been meaning to ask for some time. Was it a conscious decision to lay the track work directly onto the baseboards? I note from some of the photos of the real thing that there wasn't a very pronounced ballast shoulder, perhaps as it was mostly a goods line. Or is it because doing that way you always get a truly flat surface to lay on?

I've tried both laying direct to the boards and 2mm cork bases before and apart from a slight noise difference, which I don't mind, both worked reasonably well.

• Like 1

Hi Roger, Ive seen others lay directly to the baseboard so thought I would give it a go. The thinking that it should be a bit better at baseboard joins where cork can give slightly, even though we've had no problems with that in the past. I did look at the ballast shoulder and as you say there wasnt one, it was goods only. If there was one things would have been different.

Also it saved some money.

• 2 months later...
  • 1 month later...

There will be some soon, there has been work going on, including CAD work for etched nickel parts for the shed building,other jobs such as wiring, working on the station area and locos. will update soon.

Ps if anyone knows how to upload a photo of a os map to Templot then print it off so that I can have the roads marked out to scale accurately id be grateful.

Mike

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Ps if anyone knows how to upload a photo of a os map to Templot then print it off so that I can have the roads marked out to scale accurately id be grateful.

Hi Mike,

In Templot click background > add a background image > menu item. It tells you what to do.

If you want to include it on the printed template pages, on the print preview screen click the picture shapes tab, and click the option for print pictures normal.

regards,

Martin.

• Informative/Useful 1

Thanks Martin,

It is Ian Fisher who I asked to do this for me, not having a laptop or pc at the moment I cant use Templot. He had problems saving it.

ive also recenlty discovered a shot from Britain from above from 1953 clearly showing the turntable. The pit is of the brick wall type ie not slanted, it looks to be the same as that at Godley Junction.

Mike

• Like 1

• 3 months later...

i am glad you came to terms with the turntable, Michael, its been a while since we talked about it.  Having said that, will miss it not being a functional part of the layout, though respect and understand the reasoning.    i ve read some of recent messages here, and completely relate that folks really sometimes don't realise the time and effort that goes into what eventually appears to be the most simplest and nondescript part ,  that no one will probably notice, or may not even see  because it becomes hidden, but still is accurate as it can be, down to the last nut and bolt, the colour, and measurements..    i recently discovered an image of Hunstanton Turntable, when it was still functional at the end of steam... Great Eastern/LNER workmanship, now just a dent in the tarmac of a car park...  :)  Turntablecloseup2.jpg

• Like 8

• 2 months later...

A little teaser, work on the shed building. Etched nickel with brass square parts and laser cut wood detail, photos taken in stages over previous months, ill leave update on the layout proper just now, but it is progressing at a good rate...

post-27-0-90829300-1526208646_thumb.jpeg

post-27-0-88120100-1526208685_thumb.jpeg

post-27-0-12656200-1526208713_thumb.jpeg

post-27-0-63851800-1526208731_thumb.jpeg

The outer 2 shed smoke chutes are plain sided and easier than the inner 2 which are folded and have brackets to make them fit over the chimneys of the locos as the inner 2 chutes are not directly above the centre of the rail because of the beams in the roof.

• Like 13

• RMweb Gold

Taken last year before any buildings were started and not long after I had the OS map enlarged to the size of the model to help with the planning of the buildings and roads. Chris temporarily holds up the backscene.

attachicon.gif5A119704-F284-4B1A-89B7-7833616EDF1C.jpeg

Is he holding it up or just not very good at hide & seek?

Love the corner shop, brilliant.

• Like 1

Between the turntable and the coaling plant at the back of the line there were rows of allotments. Our new member Suzanne wanted to learn how to do scenery and its something I didnt want to do so Chris Hewitt has been teaching her how to do allotments.

Her first few attempts can be seen on the table which were a test piece where the cabbages are a little too big and the colours of the grass were a bit bright, but now she is making great progress on the piece for the layout. Decided to do this on a seperate piece of wood and glue it down later so it doesnt get damaged on the layout while other jobs are ongoing.

post-27-0-70637000-1526639775_thumb.jpeg

post-27-0-51164400-1526639801_thumb.jpeg

post-27-0-83912700-1526639816_thumb.jpeg

• Like 8