Walton on the hill 27E Liverpool, EM gauge.

Michael Delamar

Chris has been busy working on the fiddle yard trackwork. Just awaiting some more copperclad to arrive, its eaten up quite a few packets.

post-27-0-68952400-1468394428_thumb.jpg

post-27-0-05518000-1468394463_thumb.jpg

Its taken its toll on the soldering irons.

post-27-0-83127300-1468394496_thumb.jpg

Ive been working on various baseboard jobs and this Bachmann ROD EM conversion. Markits insulated driving wheels, 3mm driving axles including an offset knurled axle for the driving cog which Markits now do and is excellent. Markits tender wheels on original Bachmann axles. Coupling rods bushed with brass tube to take Markits standard crankpins. I did this on my chassis jig. The axle nuts will be filled in. Excellent runner so far and quite a straightforward conversion, the keeper plate with brake shoes and pickups screw straight back on with no modificatiins needed. I've got a set for 2 more locos, one of which will be an O4/8.

Its been running on some sections of the fiddle yard although the boards arnt wired yet.

post-27-0-40025100-1468394829_thumb.jpg

• Like 13

Thanks gents.

Between each straight road there will be a wall about 30mm high. As the boards will become stock boxes for transit with a lid on top. This is what Im thinking on using at the moment with felt glued on. Although im on the lookout for something in a T shape. Either wood or plastic.

post-27-0-82811200-1468999968_thumb.jpg

Edited by Michael Delamar
  • Like 2

How about PVC for you walls Michael. We have a company by me called Key Plastics and they do all sorts of PVC in different profiles and lengths. I'll see if I can find you a link and post it here.

By the way I'm slightly concerned about you prepping my train in future. You're ROD appears to Be missing some wheels. LOL.

Cheers

Marcus

• Like 1

Thanks Marcus, im still on the lookout for something suitable.

Here is a photo of a servo installed. Although because the track is so close to the edge mounting directly underneath is impossible. So a longer tiebar has been made with the 0.8mm hole for the wire further across and it works well.

However Im not keen on these servos as they chatter and are going to replace with the white HK15178 version.

post-27-0-57402900-1469612752_thumb.jpg

post-27-0-45597200-1469612762_thumb.jpg

Here is a photo of a train of hoppers for Clarence dock power station on the shorter inner roads. Still plenty of space for more wagons. The outer roads will be able to hold 2 trains in each.

post-27-0-53932200-1469612885_thumb.jpg

• Like 14

The white servos have arrived and most of the fiddle yard ones are installed and set up on the megapoints control boards.

post-27-0-56325300-1469834769_thumb.jpg

These operate much nicer than the blue ones, smoother, quieter and are also easier to fit in the aluminium, the blue ones were actually very tight, these are snug but ill still put some hot glue on them. The wires will be tidied when the track wiring is done.

post-27-0-70442800-1469834866_thumb.jpg

This tie bar on point 8 was very close to the sandwiched wood underneath...

post-27-0-88921100-1469834917_thumb.jpg

...so I had to cut the aluminium as close to the 0.8 hole and put a countersunk hole and screw in the centre of the aluminium.

post-27-0-34944800-1469835021_thumb.jpg

Mike

• Like 6

• 4 weeks later...

just dropped by to see how things were getting on... :)  they are.

i know the focus is on what was there,  i have been looking for turntable pictures, but havent found one yet..  that said - would it have been different in many respects,

from Southport?  or Aintree?   there are good close up pics of those available.. on Britain From Above, and the one at Aintree in the National Railway Archive.

i can post pics..

on a further note, its not just about the place, but the folks who worked there...  and this chap - i think would have been able to tell you a great deal about Walton On The Hill MPD.

RIP... great story... i would love to have met him and listened to his memories..  http://www.class502.org.uk/news-blog/2013/09/18/obituary-alexander-macdonald/

Edited by InconyBlue
  • Like 1

Thank you.

I was working on the layout last night. At the moment I am wiring up the fiddle yard. A boring task which is taking time. My plan is to wire the fiddle yard. Test it, build the leg shelving and then I can store the fiddle yard away, set up the front half of the layout and start on the interesting bits which relate to scenery.

Things have gone quiet re the turntable. i cant find much more info. I dont think it would be the same as Aintree as that was L&Y. More likely to be the same as the CLC/GC sheds in the north west area. I recently seem a shot of one at Skelton Junction which may be similar.

Thanks for the link to Alexander McDonald. The human side is very important to me, I never knew of him but I would have liked to have spoken to him.

Cheers

Mike

Thank you.

I was working on the layout last night. At the moment I am wiring up the fiddle yard. A boring task which is taking time. My plan is to wire the fiddle yard. Test it, build the leg shelving and then I can store the fiddle yard away, set up the front half of the layout and start on the interesting bits which relate to scenery.

Things have gone quiet re the turntable. i cant find much more info. I dont think it would be the same as Aintree as that was L&Y. More likely to be the same as the CLC/GC sheds in the north west area. I recently seem a shot of one at Skelton Junction which may be similar.

Thanks for the link to Alexander McDonald. The human side is very important to me, I never knew of him but I would have liked to have spoken to him.

Cheers

Mike

yes i  understand the turntable problem... ive been looking at CLC influenced stations, especially ones that closed early, since like Walton, one woudnt need a turntable anymore, and probably why it was never critical because of the walton triangle...  and the docks - but i found this image..    i think one would be likely to see a Cowans Sheldon turntable at Walton ?  http://hydonian.blogspot.co.uk/2012/08/godley-train-turntable.html

Edited by InconyBlue
  • Like 1

more can be found here, it has links to the disused pit,,, if you go that design...  you could get a feel for what it would look like when in disuse / overgrown maybe but still there?http://oldhyde.blogspot.co.uk/2013/08/turntable-at-godley-junction.html

and of course to see one built from scratch... :)  look here. 

Edited by InconyBlue
  • Like 1

If... i had a choice, i would want it in poor, but operable condition..  maybe it was vaccum or air driven.. and it was the end of steam that caused its eventual failure,

so it could be neglected... used only when neccessary, and so  lacking maintenance.  ?

just as equally it might have been manual, and that would lead to its end, as steam closed down..   

i see it broke down.. and that was its end of use, 

if you show it as a filled in space, that will say for certain the time you represent, the end of steam.

Hunstanton, where i live used a Cowans Sheldon manual turntable, it was used until no more steam engines came,

and then became neglected and taken out when the shed went..

Heacham,  the next station also had a turntable, much smaller, but again Cowans and Sheldon...  it went out of use  before the end of steam..

but stayed in place for a while,, became overgrown before removal, long before the Hunstanton one did,,    Britain from above has pics of Heacham

station...   it shows the neglected turntable..

Darlington still has one in place...  not used...   there is a pic on Geograph of it here..    http://www.geograph.org.uk/photo/4144207

one problem with neglect, might be it fills with water if the drains arent cleared,  and becomes a cess pit.. :)    more likely is that weeds take hold if not cleared,

even that wont stop it operating, if the tracks are still clear,,,  

Walton used a turntable, almost up until the end of steam...  so i would like to see it there, if i were the modeller, even though it would look neglected and poorly maintained,

i would like to  be able to still have the option of using it.. 

even more, i would like to have a magnetic driven operator...    who pushed it round like one can get cyclists pedalling and cars moving...   since it would be a feature for me...

and make it more true..  maybe it would get stuck occasionaly... a random delay .. :)        i would look at my timetable for incoming and outgoing locomotives and instigate a random introduction of something that needed the turntable...  and make that effect, the influence on how the shed worked after that... to introduce non conformity...

https://www.magnorail.com/site/en/portfolio/bicycles/

making one that works for other scales, would be special. especially a walking figure who can move with a turntable...  

but..  its not my model.. i am just a little envious.. :)     

I understand, Wordsell, but the one at Walton is still shown on maps as being connected, in 1956, but by 1960, its still shown -  but no longer connected.. there are buffer stops before it..   the surmise therefore from only the map evidence.. is that sometime after 1956, and before 1960. it stopped being used, but remained in place for a while, before being removed and filled in..   i used UK maps to discern that.   my link to Darlington was only to show what happens to a turntable of that type, when it stops being used, not anything really to do with Darlingtons history... just the image..  and its why i think, it should be shown as neglected but functional  in a model of Walton,that deals with the period 1956 to 1960 -  since come 1962 the whole thing had gone completely..   its unlikely that the mapper would show the turntable if it were not there, in 1960, but the mapper noted it was no longer connected and buffer stops were in place...  its important...    in maybe two years.. it stopped being used.. but remained... in the following two years, it was disconnected, and after 1960 it ceased to be anything but a pit..

?

if you show it filled in and disconnected that will derive the evidence as being 1960 onward... its a base line.. for the

model - derived from maps..  ( since one cant find dated photos of that time ) if you show it neglected but still connected that gives you 

the means to still use it... despite its poor condition. and determines the date after 1956, but before 1960.

buffer stops determine your date of the model. its important, since all the work that has gone in to verify the period wanted..   4 years grace or not?

Walton%201960.jpg

Edited by InconyBlue
  • Like 1

This photo is from 1964, can see the turntable area to the right, with a short section after the table then a buffer stop over the underground passage. I dont trust some of the trackplans on the os maps also, as they are a mix of different eras sometimes.

It also raises another question. On the map if you draw a line through the turntable there should be room for a short section of track then a buffer stop over the underground passageway, it doesnt look possible on the drawing.

post-27-0-84691500-1472332205.jpg

i agree.. the maps are flawed,  but i can see some similarity of the pic dated 1964, and the one on page 12 here - in that the phone box is shown.  

i note then at sometime between early maps and later ones, the nature of the two tracks that used the turntable changed..

since the meeting of the tracks was very close to the turntable on early maps and later ones -  if the turntable was out of use in 1964 why would you remove one line, and leave the other?

i only ask because i cant see any evidence of a second line in the 1964 image..   and if its out of use in 1964, which it certainly looks like its partially filled in, why arent

there buffer stops there?     i know its all 6 of one and half a dozen of the other...  but you point out buffer stops on page 3 here.

the 1964 pic... gives you some grace,,  and i still think then, that the turntable should be operational but neglected, even if you only have one line into it, then you 

cover both the flawed maps, and the photographic evidence... you win both ways... maybe the buffer stops on page 3 were the second line...   :)

studying the OS maps, does show the nature of the two lines into the turntable changed... since very early on there is shown  that the exit was close to the allotments not at the underpass,   i begin to think what took place near the end, was that the line nearest the allotments was cut back and buffered, leaving the one line entry until the  turntable broke down and went out of use...   that it still actually remained in situ... kinda says that the end was nigh....  :(   

Edited by InconyBlue

• RMweb Gold

Don't believe the maps. The OS 1:10000 revised 1973-77 still shows the turntable connected to two sidings. 

What appears to have happened on the 1964 photo is that the road nearest to the main line has been extended across the pit and onto the subway. It isn't across the centre of the pit. I suspect that without being able to run onto the table it was difficult to use it as a neck for more than one loco.