Bachmann and Hornby Shunter's Wagons Review

RSLR

Hi,

I thought I might write a small review on the Bachmann and Hornby Shunter's wagons with a general point of view. I refer to the Bachmann model more often there for I have posted this in the 'Bachmann' area.

The Hornby and Bachmann Shunter's wagons. I'm unable to compare them because they both represent different Diagrams of wagons but since they perform the same task I'll compare the basics.

Hornby 'Reading Central' on the left and Bachmann 'Newton Abbot' on the right in the photographs.

First visual differences is the colouring, the Hornby is a lighter grey to the Bachmann shade. The Bachmann grey I believes looks more accurate to the GWR shade used on the prototypes.

The Bachmann model has most of the same detail although it appears more refined compared to the Hornby version, this is clearly visible to the handrails.
Sizes are very similar, the Hornby model is heavier to the Bachmann model this is due to the Tool box on top being made of metal. The Bachmann tool box is plastic.

The Buffer sizes compared very slightly, Hornby buffers are smaller and the Bachmann larger closer in diameter.

The foot boards to the sides of the wagons are a different colour, Bachmann's painted a wood brown and the Hornby model just being painted the same colour as the body of the wagon.

To the bottom of the wagon. The detail to both models is fine and crisp although the Bachmann wagon seems more refined and less 'chunky' compared.
Brake gear to both is nicely represented. The top of both of the wagons supports correct floor boards although the colour of the wood on the Bachmann model is slightly more accurate in my opinion. The Hornby wagon is more brown/red in shade.
Tool boxes are nicely moulded on both models, however as earlier referred, made of different materials.

I think that's about all that can be said since they both represent different wagons, the Bachmann model is about £1 more than the Hornby model. Both are equally as good as each other but the main thing that tipped it for me was the Bachmann model has a detailing pack supplied in the box which includes the all important Shunter's Poles, lamps and of course pipes.

999933_604081926307347_65207464_n.jpg

1536456_604081996307340_177578623_n.jpg

1524934_604082036307336_2042595678_n.jpg

993496_604082109640662_1004363462_n.jpg

943059_604082149640658_218461466_n.jpg

Hope you enjoyed that small detailed review and my opinions.

Comments and feedback are welcome
Cheers, Reece

It's the work of moments on NEM pocket equipped stock to crop the pocket short, and cut a matching amount off the coupler 'tails' to bring the couplers inboard. (On such a short whelbase wagon, the bumper bar face can be practically in the bufferhead plane and still go through set track curves when coupled up to similarly treated vehicles.) Downside is no uncoupling on curves. I do the cropping short with a pair of snips, and that usually introduces enough deformation in the pocket to grip the coupler tails, but if not a drop of cyano secures. 

'Restoring to original condition' for those to whom that matters, only requires a new pair of pockets and couplers.

Guest Riven Codex

The Hornby model is to dia. M4, the Bachmann model ilustrated in the OP is to dia. M3, so comparison of models of different diagrams is difficult to say the least.

One of the differences between Hornby and Bachmann with this particular wagon is that Bachmann have also issued (at least in GW colours) a shunters wagon to dia. M4 as well, and, at the same time as their dia. M3.

• RMweb Gold

Riveting detail on Hornby offering is so much finer and IMHO better.

on the tool box I would agree but the buffer beam I would say Bachmann is ahead, then again could they have been bigger rivets on the M3 tool box 

Hornby lower handrails - the full length ones - one sags and the other curves upwards. 

Bachmann looks overall somewhat more convincing to me.  But as these didn't trouble the Borders it's all a bit academic.

• RMweb Gold

It's the work of moments on NEM pocket equipped stock to crop the pocket short, and cut a matching amount off the coupler 'tails' to bring the couplers inboard. (On such a short whelbase wagon, the bumper bar face can be practically in the bufferhead plane and still go through set track curves when coupled up to similarly treated vehicles.) Downside is no uncoupling on curves. I do the cropping short with a pair of snips, and that usually introduces enough deformation in the pocket to grip the coupler tails, but if not a drop of cyano secures. 

'Restoring to original condition' for those to whom that matters, only requires a new pair of pockets and couplers.

Any chance of a photo or two showing this?

Archived