Hornby announce J15

hornbyandbf3fan

Interesting factoid regarding J15. While I don't have the full information to hand at this point, I have it on good account that a solitary J15 found it's way to industrial use in Lanarkshire and was apparently plated by the BTC for local mainline use. Requires deeper investigation I think.

Probably 7690, sold to Baird & Co Ltd in 1938 following withdrawal (last of the Worsdell era engines in service), making its own way up to Gartsherrie Iron works. Broken up around 1960 - according to RCTS Vol 5 anyway...

Probably 7690, sold to Baird & Co Ltd in 1938 following withdrawal (last of the Worsdell era engines in service), making its own way up to Gartsherrie Iron works. Broken up around 1960 - according to RCTS Vol 5 anyway...

There is a photo (by J.P Mullett) of the locomotive in Dick Riley's book "Great Eastern Album" (Ian Allan 1968). Detailed caption part of which reads:

" On withdrawal in 1938 it was sold and run under its own steam to Gartsherrie Works in Lanarkshire. .....................J15 ran to collect coal for the coke ovens, by virtue of running powers over former North British Railway lines..............loco lined black livery, polished dome cover and lettered BAIRDS & SCOTTISH STEEL LTD................the photograph is dated 1958; loco scrapped in 1960 and the works closed in 1967.........."

Other locos in Scotland were of course the unrebuilt B12 4-6-0s and about 20 GE 0-6-0T locos and seven F4 and F7 2-4-2T classes.

Paul

There is a photo (by J.P Mullett) of the locomotive in Dick Riley's book "Great Eastern Album" (Ian Allan 1968). Detailed caption part of which reads:

" On withdrawal in 1938 it was sold and run under its own steam to Gartsherrie Works in Lanarkshire. .....................J15 ran to collect coal for the coke ovens, by virtue of running powers over former North British Railway lines..............loco lined black livery, polished dome cover and lettered BAIRDS & SCOTTISH STEEL LTD................the photograph is dated 1958; loco scrapped in 1960 and the works closed in 1967.........."

Other locos in Scotland were of course the unrebuilt B12 4-6-0s and about 20 GE 0-6-0T locos and seven F4 and F7 2-4-2T classes.

Paul

Well that's another 20+ reasons for some GER locos (regardless of where they actually went) then...

Edited by EHertsGER

• 4 weeks later...

Hello

We thought you may like to know that an item you have on order with us, on order id 1879315, has had some information about its release date added or updated.

Hornby R3231 Class J15 0-6-0 in BR black with early emblem £101.90

Our latest information from the supplier suggests this item will arrive with us February 2015

Whilst we are hopeful this information is accurate, manufacturer lead times are frequently prone to be delayed. This information is to be used as a guide only.

We hope that this email has been useful.

Regards

Retail Team
Hattons Model Railways
www.ehattons.com

Received today! Same message for late crest.

Cheers from Oz,

Peter C.

Edited by 45568

• RMweb Premium

I'm curious that we have still not seen any photos of pre-production versions of the J15. Hornby have shown these for the Drummond 700, and the D16/3 and K1. If the J15 is now due on much the same timescale (earlier this year, the expectation was that the J15 would be rather later than these others), then surely we should see a pre-production J15 soon? Please ......!

John

I'm curious that we have still not seen any photos of pre-production versions of the J15. Hornby have shown these for the Drummond 700, and the D16/3 and K1. If the J15 is now due on much the same timescale (earlier this year, the expectation was that the J15 would be rather later than these others), then surely we should see a pre-production J15 soon? Please ......!

John

I shall ask Hornby that

• 2 weeks later...
  • RMweb Premium

Are there any photos of Hormby's J15 from Warley, other than the one Andy Y has posted of the LNER version? I want to see the BR versions - early and late crest - and I'd like to see a photo from above, so we can see into the tender. Many thanks to anyone who can oblige!

John

• RMweb Premium

Ah Andy - excellent! Many thanks indeed! That looks like a fabulous model from Hornby. I don't think we've seen that type of tender before - it looks superb. Looking forward to seeing this in the shops!

John

• RMweb Gold

Thank you, Andy. Very much a return to the good old days for Hornby here -  no traction tyres on the loco' wheels - presumably a well weighted loco' is the situation here. Lovely detailed cab. I see someone has gone and knocked off the tenders top lamp iron! Good to see the correct type of GER tender for the J15 as well. Very pleased with all that I've seen in the photo's.

All the best,

Market65.

• RMweb Premium

Thank you, Andy. Very much a return to the good old days for Hornby here - no traction tyres on the loco' wheels - presumably a well weighted loco' is the situation here. Lovely detailed cab. I see someone has gone and knocked off the tenders top lamp iron! Good to see the correct type of GER tender for the J15 as well. Very pleased with all that I've seen in the photo's.

All the best,

Market65.

If I recall correctly, the boiler is metal to help with the adhesion

So far so good.

Amazing to find a RTR loco with the number I need for the Maldon branch.

Lack of a tarpaulin support on the tender.

65356 is a vac braked machine and I can't see the pipe on the right hand side of the boiler.

As I could do with a freight only loco for my second example that might help.

Better start putting some pennies in the piggy.

Bernard

They look very nice. I'm tempted to get one myself!

Same sort of charm as the 'Terrier', improbably small for a loco still capable of mainline work to the end of steam operations. Hopefully they'll get a raft of 'eye-candy' sales and be encouraged to look a little further in the 'small is beautiful' direction. There's a fairly well known picture of 65479 alongside A3 60075 on Top Shed, a real little and large scene; wonder if Hornby will think of a twin pack?

Funnily enough David there was one very near to Aylesbury a few years back.

Quainton had I believe borrowed the preserved one from Norfolk.

I had to hit myself on the head to make sure I was awake as I crossed the A41 between Waddesdon and Aylesbury, just as it was going past on a low loader.

Bernard

Funnily enough David there was one very near to Aylesbury a few years back.

Quainton had I believe borrowed the preserved one from Norfolk.

I had to hit myself on the head to make sure I was awake as I crossed the A41 between Waddesdon and Aylesbury, just as it was going past on a low loader.

Bernard

To say nothing of the Avon Valley Railway (check out YouTube for some lovely video)

OK then.

What's going on?

Something felt odd with the photos so I dug out some notes I made a while ago.

Photos show 65445 late period as a dual braked loco and 65356 as an incorrect hybrid vac pipes but no ejector.

See my previous comment.

I now see that the numbers originally published for the first release were 65431 and 65476.

That makes 65476 OK but would mean vac pipes on a steam brake only machine for 65431. If they get them that way round.

Back to wait and see I suppose.

I just hope they get the combination right.

Bernard