Hornby announce J15

hornbyandbf3fan

• RMweb Gold

Hi. In 'Trains Illustrated - The Last Years Of British Steam, 3;Eastern, North Eastern & Scottish Regions', pages 4 and 5, there are two photo's of J15's. On page 4 it is of 65476 climbing out of Ongar on a special train, April, 1962. It is dual-braked, and is seen working tender first, complete with tender cab. Then on page 5, the photo' shows, as mentioned in the previous post, 65445, dual-braked, near Long Melford on a Cambridge to Colchester train in July, 1958. It is hauling an ex-Southern PMV, and three Gresley corridors - CK, SK and BSK. The model cannot come soon enough! (Have much inspired over the years by this second photo' - a really typical secondary service train).

All the best,

Market65.

Edited by Market65
  • Like 1

I'm hoping this will be fairly straightforward to convert to EM - I have a Gibson J15 kit, but having a second would be nice.

In the interests of avoiding scratchbuilding five chassis I asked the chaps at Brassmasters and Chris at High Level if they were contemplating a chassis for this. Chris demurred in favor of Brassmasters, who intimated (I did not use the word 'promised' or 'intended' or 'planned') that an Easichas might be on the cards. That was a while ago, before I became really handy with a fretsaw, so best to ask again...

Best,

Marcus

Edited by EHertsGER

In the interests of avoiding scratchbuilding five chassis I asked the chaps at Brassmasters and Chris at High Level if they were contemplating a chassis for this. Chris demurred in favor of Brassmasters, who intimated (I did not use the word 'promised' or 'intended' or 'planned') that an Easichas might be on the cards. That was a while ago, before I became really handy with a fretsaw, so best to ask again...

Best,

Marcus

Marcus, thank you for the lead.  At your suggestion I contacted Brassmasters, and they confirmed a chassis is in the works.

• 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Hornbys  Email  recvd  this  evening  states LIMITED  quantities  of 6 locos are  due  in  this  week  and  earler  than anticipated, Pre orders already placed will be processed later  this week, further pre orders  are invited,  but  reading between the lines it may be  that  this delivery  will only be  distributed to customers direct from Hornby

• RMweb Premium

Hornbys  Email  recvd  this  evening  states LIMITED  quantities  of 6 locos are  due  in  this  week  and  earler  than anticipated, Pre orders already placed will be processed later  this week, further pre orders  are invited,  but  reading between the lines it may be  that  this delivery  will only be  distributed to customers direct from Hornby

Not sure I would read Hornby's email quite at way. They say the largest delivery since the start of 2014 that includes six brand new locomotives and that "We have a limited amount of stock available via the website, ...". I take this to mean the number being made available for website sales is limited as a part of the whole delivery and that retailers will also get stock. But we shall see...

Not sure I would read Hornby's email quite at way. They say the largest delivery since the start of 2014 that includes six brand new locomotives and that "We have a limited amount of stock available via the website, ...". I take this to mean the number being made available for website sales is limited as a part of the whole delivery and that retailers will also get stock. But we shall see...

Great to hear they are on the way! Must say I'm tempted. 6 new locos? Does this mean all 3 versions of the J15, plus 3 version of another new model? Say the 700?

• RMweb Gold

Or just six in total for the UK?

:jester: Sorry.  Couldn't resist.

You do have to wonder though at Hornby's powers of communication.  Why can they not word an email to be less ambiguous?  (Not read it myself.  Just noting that there is already more than one interpretation.)

There was a LNER J15 listed on Ebay when I looked a few moments ago.

I think it was Flair Rail.

So they are starting to filter through.  I thought that they would be a week or two yet, but obviously Hornby had received them and unpacked them. 

I can only hope that my order is up the list.

Mark in OZ

• RMweb Premium

There was a LNER J15 listed on Ebay when I looked a few moments ago.

I think it was Flair Rail.

So they are starting to filter through.  I thought that they would be a week or two yet, but obviously Hornby had received them and unpacked them. 

I can only hope that my order is up the list.

Mark in OZ

Presumably now that Hornby models are distributed from a separate warehouse operation, there's no reason why those allocated to retailers and those for Hornby website sales shouldn't be available for sale at the same time.

• RMweb Gold

Presumably now that Hornby models are distributed from a separate warehouse operation, there's no reason why those allocated to retailers and those for Hornby website sales shouldn't be available for sale at the same time.

Surely that depends on the instructions Hornby have given to the warehouse operator and the way the warehouse folk put together deliveries for retailersr?  In present circumstances, and going on recent form, it will be interesting to see who gets some first especially as they are higher value items with a likely high initial demand.