Hornby announce J15

hornbyandbf3fan

• RMweb Gold

Surely that depends on the instructions Hornby have given to the warehouse operator and the way the warehouse folk put together deliveries for retailersr?  In present circumstances, and going on recent form, it will be interesting to see who gets some first especially as they are higher value items with a likely high initial demand.

Question....do all batches of a consignment process via a central stock holding warehouse ?

Presumably now that Hornby models are distributed from a separate warehouse operation, there's no reason why those allocated to retailers and those for Hornby website sales shouldn't be available for sale at the same time.

Depends if the new distribution centre also handles Hornby's direct sales for them. If so they can start dispatching direct sales as they send orders out to retailers. I'd be interested to know what the return address is on items bought direct.

• RMweb Premium

And at Harburn Hobbies here, in reasonable numbers! I've now got one, even though I hadn't preordered. Weather is very dull here this afternoon, but I'm sure someone else will beat me to putting up some photos, so everyone can share the delight in Hornby's recreation of the J15 - it really is exquisite.

John

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Hi, everyone. I've just come back from Scarborough. In the 'Train Shop' there was three of each J15. I selected R3232, which is 65445, with the late crest on the tender. (It is the one in the Trains Illustrated book from c1970). In the shop they gave me a price of £106.99,which I gladly paid.

It is the best running RTR engine that I have ever come across, total silent in running, and completely smooth - just like a sewing machine. No wonder when you consider that it has brass bearings, a five-pole skew-wound motor with a fly wheel at each end! This is probably the best ever from Hornby, ever better than Bachmann and the lovely Midland Pullman (which has to be saying something!).

The detail is indeed remarkable, for everything is just about separately fitted. Also, before I forget, the footplate is metal!

I simply cannot fault this lovely model!

Please see the following photo's which I have taken of it:

This is a general three quarter front view.

post-22631-0-85831800-1423773825_thumb.jpg

This hopefully shows some of the cab detail

post-22631-0-04102100-1423773921_thumb.jpg

This is the front.

post-22631-0-37943300-1423773997_thumb.jpg

Here is the right-side.

post-22631-0-69143700-1423774032_thumb.jpg

More of the cab.

post-22631-0-75892200-1423774158_thumb.jpg

Here is the loco to tender arrangement, which is probably as expected.

post-22631-0-55157600-1423774212_thumb.jpg

And here is the all important skew-wound five pole motor and double fly wheel chassis.

post-22631-0-13218900-1423774337_thumb.jpg

Here is, hopefully, a view of the brass bearings, and also the gear wheel on the rear axle.

post-22631-0-39606100-1423774379_thumb.jpg

Here is the factory that the J15's are being made in.

post-22631-0-90715800-1423774514_thumb.jpg

Finally, here is the rear of the 'box'.

post-22631-0-63103400-1423774600_thumb.jpg

I hope that this has been of some interest, and that, hopefully, it can be seen that Hornby have probably excelled themselves with the J15 model. I am so pleased with the one which I have today purchased!

All the best,

Market65.

• Like 9

• RMweb Gold

Hi, everyone. I've just come back from Scarborough. In the 'Train Shop' there was three of each J15. I selected R3232, which is 65445, with the late crest on the tender. (It is the one in the Trains Illustrated book from c1970). In the shop they gave me a price of £106.99,which I gladly paid.

It is the best running RTR engine that I have ever come across, total silent in running, and completely smooth - just like a sewing machine. No wonder when you consider that it has brass bearings, a five-pole skew-wound motor with a fly wheel at each end! This is probably the best ever from Hornby, ever better than Bachmann and the lovely Midland Pullman (which has to be saying something!).

The detail is indeed remarkable, for everything is just about separately fitted. Also, before I forget, the footplate is metal!

I simply cannot fault this lovely model!

Please see the following photo's which I have taken of it:

This is a general three quarter front view.

attachicon.gif100_6357 - Copy.JPG

This hopefully shows some of the cab detail

attachicon.gif100_6360 - Copy.JPG

This is the front.

attachicon.gif100_6366 - Copy.JPG

Here is the right-side.

attachicon.gif100_6368 - Copy.JPG

More of the cab.

attachicon.gif100_6378 - Copy.JPG

Here is the loco to tender arrangement, which is probably as expected.

attachicon.gif100_6384 - Copy.JPG

And here is the all important skew-wound five pole motor and double fly wheel chassis.

attachicon.gif100_6385 - Copy.JPG

Here is, hopefully, a view of the brass bearings, and also the gear wheel on the rear axle.

attachicon.gif100_6387 - Copy.JPG

Here is the factory that the J15's are being made in.

attachicon.gif100_6388 - Copy.JPG

Finally, here is the rear of the 'box'.

attachicon.gif100_6389 - Copy.JPG

I hope that this has been of some interest, and that, hopefully, it can be seen that Hornby have probably excelled themselves with the J15 model. I am so pleased with the one which I have today purchased!

All the best,

Market65.

Some Interest?

That's the understatement of the year (so far), the drive mechanism looks ingenious to say the least.

Can you imagine weathering this little beauty?

Erm, I can  :jester:  :jester:

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold

Hi, orford. The DCC socket in the tender is an 8 pin one. It is located at the rear of the tender. You will find some detail on the maintenance sheet. I have not yet had the tender body off, but if it is as easy to remove as the loco' body, then it should be very easy to gain access to get at the socket.

All the best,

Market65.

Take great care when setting the  date if you do.

This loco did vary in he last two or three years going from very run down to looking very smart.

It also wandered from Harwich to Stratford so location is also critical.

No sign of mine yet.

Bernard

Hattons seem to be at the back of the queue when it comes to Hornby new releases this year. AFAIK they still haven't received any LMS horseboxes or 21T hoppers yet, both of which have been available for a couple of weeks. I wonder how many people cancelled their Hattons preorder for them and bought elsewhere.

• RMweb Gold

Also appeared on the HobbyShop at Faversham website......as well as a 31B March K1 which was what I was also waiting for.....

Normally visit the HobbyShop once a month to empty out my "box" and, so far this month, Harvey tells me that there's only red boxes in the box. What a turnround!!

Keith

• Like 1

ARCADIA   MODELS, SHAW  HAS  J15  stock  at  an  Excellent  price  I  have  just  ordered  one.

01706882900,   iNOTE  Tim is closed from  this  Saturday PM  until next  Thursday  so if you wish to order   best to phone Friday

• RMweb Premium

Take great care when setting the  date if you do.

This loco did vary in he last two or three years going from very run down to looking very smart.

It also wandered from Harwich to Stratford so location is also critical.

No sign of mine yet.

Bernard

In 'Branchlines to Clacton/Walton' there is a shot of it at Walton in April 1957 and although the number and shedplate are clear to see it certainly looks as if it could benefit from an 'oily rag' at the very least.

Izzy