Hornby announce J15

hornbyandbf3fan

Just when I have spent money on engines like weathered Bachmann Jubilees, Hornby Maunsell N15s and Churchward Stars this J15 arrives, and how attractive it is! Thanks Market65 for the photos.

Seems Hornby really have got their A team back, although maybe an A- .... :)

Bought one each of the two BR J15s from Hereford Models today. To my eyes it looks right, and it runs very smoothly. Notwithstanding the reservations expressed above, I think Hornby have done an excellent job with the J15, and hope they make a healthy profit from it.

However, my credit card is hoping that the Bachmann 64xx doesn't appear too soon.

When I mentioned the handrails, etc I was not in any way implying that Hornby have done any less than a fabulous job.  After all - whoever thought that we would ever get a RTR J15 at all?

I have a whole batch of them on the way and they will form almost the entire motive power on my 'Aldeburgh Branch', just as the prototypes did.  Three years after starting the layout I finally have appropriate motive power, especially when they are joined by the D16/3's in a few more weeks.

Now Hornby - How about that long-overdue complete re-tooling of the B12 that I keep banging on at you about?  (For info - the 'banging-on' seemed rather easier when Simon Kohler was still there).

Had  my  delivery  of  the  J15  from  Arcadia  Models  this  morning  before  9-00AM     1  LOCO  +  A Decoder  for  it  AND  5 Packs  of  KADEE  no 20 NEM  couplings  £120.00  not  bad, beats  the  big  boys!

• Like 2

Hattons told me this morning they aren't expecting the J15 until March!!!??? What is going on?? Sorely tempted to cancel my pre-order with them.

They  have  quoted  March 5th or  after  on  the  J15  listings  foir  some  time  now,  most  peculiar,  there  have  been  some  other   items  which  they  recvd  after  most  of  the  other   retailers   got  them  such  as  Bachmann L&B 00-9  Station, The  Hornby Catalogue  and  the  21T hoppers

• RMweb Gold

Hattons told me this morning they aren't expecting the J15 until March!!!??? What is going on?? Sorely tempted to cancel my pre-order with them.

If you don't want to wait cancel your pre-order and get the one one you want elsewhere. Hereford Model Centre appear to be cheapest at the moment.

• RMweb Gold

Arcadia Models match that.Mine,ordered yesterday p.m.,has just arrived.

Erm, I'll end up with two. :mocking_mini:  It will be interesting to see which one arrives first, the Late Crest one from Hornby or the Early Crest one from Hereford Models....

Better get back to finishing off the Q1 and the 9F....

Edited by toboldlygo

They  have  quoted  March 5th or  after  on  the  J15  listings  foir  some  time  now,  most  peculiar,  there  have  been  some  other   items  which  they  recvd  after  most  of  the  other   retailers   got  them  such  as  Bachmann L&B 00-9  Station, The  Hornby Catalogue  and  the  21T hoppers

And the LMS horse box too.

Very strange that the largest (at least I presume it is) retailer seems to be receiving stocks long after the others. It is certainly costing them, I, and I know others, have cancelled pre-orders with them and bought from where stocks are available. It's not that I must have them 'NOW', but, having seen Hornby's supply problems of late, I don't want to risk waiting and then find I've missed out.

It's not that I must have them 'NOW', but, having seen Hornby's supply problems of late, I don't want to risk waiting and then find I've missed out.

My thoughts precisely.

Thanks for the stock advice on alternatives gents.

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

And the LMS horse box too.

Very strange that the largest (at least I presume it is) retailer seems to be receiving stocks long after the others. It is certainly costing them, I, and I know others, have cancelled pre-orders with them and bought from where stocks are available. It's not that I must have them 'NOW', but, having seen Hornby's supply problems of late, I don't want to risk waiting and then find I've missed out.

I did exacly the same (although if Hattons ones do come in March I can get myself another). I'm not sure why they are getting stock later than everyone else but my dad did put a theory forward in regards to Hattons stepping on Hornby's King size toes.

Excellent service from Kernow & Post Office, ordered yesterday pm and arrived this morning.

On examination the boiler side seam (I bought the LNER version) doesn't seem (groan here at weak pun) too intrusive so a little removable filler and workaday grot should suffice.

On the packaging, though it's the usual fold up transparent box, it appears that mine clipped the smokebox dart pulling it off.  I spotted it undamaged in the packaging though so it will be an easy fix.  Rear vacuum pipe for tender missing from the 'bag of bits' too, but again an easy fix.

Overall a return to excellent form for Hornby I would say, despite the niggles.

On the subject of 'banging on' at Hornby (though well done to the previous 'banging on' party for getting this model released...) the 'banging on' party for the N7 should assemble in the parade ground at 06:00 sharp...

My twins (EC & LC)  arrived this morning and what a pair of beauties they are too. Wonderful job Hornby!

Now about that N7, count me in – see you at 0600………..ish.