Hornby announce J15

hornbyandbf3fan

What "removable filler" are you intending to use?  Do you have any recommendations please?

I'll be using (very) thin lead sheet, which I used in my figure sculpting days with Britains to 'dress' basic nude figures with.  Pushed into joints it can then be buffed level and abraded if necessary, and then polished.  I don't know anywhere it's available from now, mine is old Rose Miniatures stock which I bought up in 1973!

Suggestion has been made of using Plasticene.  However in that case one would have to let it dry out thoroughly before painting, but such a small amount shouldn't take long to go off. 

Edited by Adams442T

J15s arrived at John Dutfield in Essex earlier this week, and are virtually all sold (Saturday lunchtime) and that is with an increased number ordered.  Hornby have sold out of stock - though obviously they may have some available online or from their Margate outlets.

J15s arrived at John Dutfield in Essex earlier this week, and are virtually all sold (Saturday lunchtime) and that is with an increased number ordered. Hornby have sold out of stock - though obviously they may have some available online or from their Margate outlets.

Ahh, my old LHS!

• RMweb Gold

I'll be using (very) thin lead sheet, which I used in my figure sculpting days with Britains to 'dress' basic nude figures with.  Pushed into joints it can then be buffed level and abraded if necessary, and then polished.  I don't know anywhere it's available from now, mine is old Rose Miniatures stock which I bought up in 1973!

Suggestion has been made of using Plasticene.  However in that case one would have to let it dry out thoroughly before painting, but such a small amount shouldn't take long to go off. 

Thanks.  That sounds interesting.  It would be good to see some pictures once work commences.

• RMweb Gold

Thats the 2015 Model of the Year sorted then.

Stewart

Although that really depends on what else appears this year - I seem to recollect there is another GE oriented engine to come from Hornby, a rather nice looking GN Atlantic to come from the NRM, an O2 from Kernow, maybe a 'King' from Hornby, something GW - maybe the 'King' - from Hattons, a USA tank from Model Rail, an Adams Radial tank from OxfordRail, and no doubt other things I've forgotten and maybe even some that haven't even been announced.  Now obviously the J15 has raised the bar but what's to come might raise it even further for all we know, possibly  :O 

The interesting thing in all of this, apart from the very significant fact of Hornby seemingly getting back into gear at the detail end of the market, is that there is a lot on the way for what many doomsayers have called a  shrinking market.  At ths sort of rate long may it shrink.

• Like 2

Box of J15's arrived at our shop yesterday. So far have found 4 with badly bent or missing buffer beam lamp irons, one with smokebox handles snapped off and one with the cab steps rattling around in the box. Yes it is a wonderful model but come on Hornby, what has happened to the quality control department? Be warned check your model first at your local shop!

Although that really depends on what else appears this year - I seem to recollect there is another GE oriented engine to come from Hornby, a rather nice looking GN Atlantic to come from the NRM, an O2 from Kernow, maybe a 'King' from Hornby, something GW - maybe the 'King' - from Hattons, a USA tank from Model Rail, an Adams Radial tank from OxfordRail, and no doubt other things I've forgotten and maybe even some that haven't even been announced.  Now obviously the J15 has raised the bar but what's to come might raise it even further for all we know, possibly  :O 

The interesting thing in all of this, apart from the very significant fact of Hornby seemingly getting back into gear at the detail end of the market, is that there is a lot on the way for what many doomsayers have called a  shrinking market.  At ths sort of rate long may it shrink.

TBH I did make the comment rather tongue-in-cheek.

However, upon reflection my take on it would be:

1 - Superb model (though I have actually not got my hands on one yet, I'm going by other's reports.)

It would be going some to make a significant advance on this.

2 - Seems to prove Design Clever is finally dead.

3 - Also seems to show supply chain is being sorted.

4 - A new twist to the Hornby models; NOT Big, Green, Named - actually Small, Black, 

Mundane Everyday type of loco.

5 - East Anglian (I might be a tad biased here lol).

Taken together, I reckon good reasons? But way too early to make the decision though.

Stewart

• RMweb Gold

Just tested mine,Stewart.I wholeheartedly endorse your observations. This is a little marvel that sets the bar higher in r-t-r model locos. Open the Moet Chandon,Hornby,you have emerged from darkness to light. On opening the box,the first and reassuring thing that strikes you is its weight,reminding me forcibly of its Fleischmann counterparts. It is exquisitely finished. Its performance smooth and silent through all ranges of the Gaugemaster,thanks to a beautifully engineered drive train.Unlike its prototype,it punches well above its weight,taking six assorted Bachmann&Airfix coaches (which just happened to be there and handy) at position 6 without demur...not that anyone will need to tax it that far in average prototypical use.

An Oscar for this one and for Hornby's design team.....they have a winner and they are firmly back on track. It sits now next to me as I post this and I am drooling over it.Bravo !

Totally  ignoring  the  Golden  Rule  which  used  to  be  printed  on POOLE produced  Graham  farish instruction sheets  " DO NOT  DISMANTLE  OUT  OF  IDLE  CURIOSITY"

I removed  the  loco body  from  the  J15  this  afternoon,  I was interested to see if  it  really  did  have  2  flywheels.....and a 5  pole  motor  and  it  does!   Actually  loco body removal is  a  single  screw and  the  bodylifts  off,  I fitted  a  decoder  also,  tender  body  is  a  2  screw  job  quite  easy,  there is not  a  lot  of  room within the  tender,  I mounted the  decoder  under  the  Metal weight/ speaker  housing  provided in the  tender , If  sound is to be  fitted  obviously  this would not be possible.

The  boler is  metal  &  quite  weighty  the  cab  I  think  is  plastic.  backhead  detail is  very  good.

The loco perofrms  excellently  from  a  slow  crawl to an extimated 50 MPH  scale  speed at  28 speed steps.  I HAve not  tested  haulage  capacity  other  than putton  10 4  wheel wagons behind  it  which it  hauled  just  as  if  it  was  running  light  engine.

This  loco  along  with  the  K1  is  a  massive  step  forward   for  Hornby  and  I  am of  the opinion  that  other  manufacturers   may now  have some  'keeping  up to  do' instead of the other  way  round.

2 photos  attached  for  the  curious!  The loco was in  the  USA N gauge  storage  loops!!

post-10539-0-31764000-1423938870.jpg

post-10539-0-25565800-1423938889.jpg

• Like 4

Box of J15's arrived at our shop yesterday. So far have found 4 with badly bent or missing buffer beam lamp irons, one with smokebox handles snapped off and one with the cab steps rattling around in the box. Yes it is a wonderful model but come on Hornby, what has happened to the quality control department? Be warned check your model first at your local shop!

Mine which arrived by Royal Mail  had  the  front coupling and  The  NEM socket unattached  BUT  these items  were packed in such a way within  the plastic packaging  that could not have got there in transit!  Thus  was no problem  as I use  Kadee couplings anyway so the  front coupling  would have had to be removed anyway.  However  the point of my  reply  is, I wonder  if  Hornby  have accelerated  despatch of this loco to get  it into availability  and  thus making  consumers spend  before a competitors loco become  available??

• RMweb Gold

Hi. Just to add that the cab 'body' is metal as well, with the cab roof in plastic - I think it is so that the 'lower' type of cab roof (as on the LNER black example) can be fitted as needed in the factory (instead of having two completely different body/footplate/cab metal assemblies).

Have just cut the front NEM coupling pocket in half on mine, so that I can fit a loop of 0.4mm brass wire into two holes drilled into it on it's under-side. Having formed the loop, and having glued the wire into the holes, the whole assembly can then be both fitted and removed as required, without, hopefully, spoiling the front end of the locomotive. It is much less intrusive than an ordinary tension lock coupler.

All the best,

Market65.

PS. Glad to see everyone enjoying the model.

It does look to be a very well-made model.  I don't normally buy small engines, budget restraint and all that stuff, but it is a very tempting thing, the J15, and with weathering, and the D16 soon....  I find myself wondering what RTR carriages might suit East Anglian trains?

• RMweb Premium

Thanks.  That sounds interesting.  It would be good to see some pictures once work commences.

That will be quite difficult because, quite honestly, the joint line is pretty well hidden under the boiler. In many conditions on the track, the joint line is unnoticeable unless 1. light is pointing directly at it, and 2. you are specifically looking for a joint line.

We know the J15's boiler is a metal casting, and my feeling/impression is that its running plate is also a metal casting (so a different treatment to that on the K1). From Stevelewis's photos at post 186 above, it looks as if the boiler and running plate are one (metal) casting? Do others confirm that?

John

• RMweb Gold
I find myself wondering what RTR carriages might suit East Anglian trains?

The Hornby Gresley and Thompson suburbans, obviously. The old Hornby Gresleys could pass for GE Section stock, and you could always stretch a point and use the Bachmann 'Henrietta' as an ex-Wisbech & Upwell Mid-Sussex coach.

Edited by papagolfjuliet

Thats the 2015 Model of the Year sorted then.

Stewart

We are going to be spoilt for choices:

Hall

J15,

D16

Crosti 9F

O2

E4

C1

J94

And maybe a pair of radials...

This is looking very promising for the 700.

Edited by JSpencer

Dolls house roofing flashing on ebay is what I use .Just type in thin lead sheet .Gawd ,Rose Miniatures takes me back .I used to paint figures for them for a while .They were south of the river ,never a happy state for an Essex boy.

Edited by alfsboy
  • Like 1

Steve Lewis - I doubt it personally. Bachmann WERE going to also do the J15 - but officially dropped all plans for it when Hornby announced theirs first. 

My  supposition  was  not  really   re  Bachmann's proposed  J15,  But   whether  something  unexpected  may be  on the  cards for  early  release,  I heard from my  contacts in the  trade  that  cards  are being played very close to  the  chest  so to speak,  of  course  it  could mean  nothing   and  we  wont  know  for   a while.

That will be quite difficult because, quite honestly, the joint line is pretty well hidden under the boiler. In many conditions on the track, the joint line is unnoticeable unless 1. light is pointing directly at it, and 2. you are specifically looking for a joint line.

We know the J15's boiler is a metal casting, and my feeling/impression is that its running plate is also a metal casting (so a different treatment to that on the K1). From Stevelewis's photos at post 186 above, it looks as if the boiler and running plate are one (metal) casting? Do others confirm that?

John

Just  had  a  quick   un dismantled  look  and   it  is  very possible   it  is  one  casting  when  I  was  working on the  loco earlier I had  that impresion  also

Thanks for the photos Steve.  For me it seems likely that the way to go would be to 'line' the lower 'boiler half' with lead strip, re-fit the top, and trim straight along the join line, buffing down afterwards.

I'll also be fitting a GE stovepipe chimney (Gibson 4M630) to take it back to something more like GER condition before repainting.  The North Norfolk Railway is, I believe, running the M&GN Society's Y14 '564' restored to as near as possible GER condition, and painted in GER Blue, with its first outing on November 17th this year. 

The Hornby Gresley and Thompson suburbans, obviously. The old Hornby Gresleys could pass for GE Section stock, and you could always stretch a point and use the Bachmann 'Henrietta' as an ex-Wisbech & Upwell Mid-Sussex coach.

The J15 and 2 or 3 Gresleys certainly would look a picture!  Now which era?  Presumably Thompsons too after c1948...  Choices, choices!     :)