HO Monon inspired layout

Sunny morning with little chance of rain.... So boards up in the garden and chance to layout buildings and track.

Image 1 has points on furthest board away producing longer sidings on near board and more sweeping down and up line moving into the point.

Image 2 has points on near board producing shorter sidings but slightly more track before it runs off onto sceniced fiddle yard. I think this looks more cramped.

post-9435-0-34102100-1405246282_thumb.jpg

post-9435-0-20255100-1405246412_thumb.jpg

• Like 3

Longer sidings are definitely the way to go!! ;)

Edit: My bad - should read "longer spurs are the way to go"...... 'sidings' are passing loops.

As ever, we are two nations divided by a common language.... :(

Edited by F-UnitMad

Very good, if I was still Secretary as opposed to retired Sec I would book you for the autumn programme!

Yes, I know you enjoyed the switch. :mosking:

Edited by 5050

The height of the layout is quite low being based upon a paste table and when putting the buildings on in mock up the roofs of buildings are more prominent than on Menasha layout. Spent a pleasant summer evening re roofing the small warehouse and adding strips of fine sandpaper to represent the felt roofing

post-9435-0-63602000-1405457088_thumb.jpg

I think we need to tie this down, before the topic gets spiked.

We need a "groan" button, for sure.... ;)

C'mon now, we all need to calm down & pay attention now, there's some modelling going on.

Roof details for US buildings raise an interesting question - what details can you add without over-doing it, & can you more-or-less put them on where you like, or is there a general 'pattern' as to where things like A/C units & skylights will go??

We need a "groan" button, for sure.... ;)

C'mon now, we all need to calm down & pay attention now, there's some modelling going on.

Roof details for US buildings raise an interesting question - what details can you add without over-doing it, & can you more-or-less put them on where you like, or is there a general 'pattern' as to where things like A/C units & skylights will go??

Jordan - looking at this, the answer is "wherever you can fit it in!"   http://creativity103.com/collections/Industrial/slides/air_con_ducting.html

Ducting and A/C units available from Walthers in US and Unit Models in UK

Edited by shortliner
  • Like 1

It can be very variable, based on the current and previous use of the building, its interior layout, and the geographic location. I'd suggest using Google Maps/Bing Maps to look at some overhead shots of similar buildings in a similar area and work from there.

Something like this

https://maps.google.ca/maps?hl=en&ll=40.391335,-79.869219&spn=0.002334,0.002401&t=h&z=19

which is a randomly picked area in Pittsburgh

Adrian

Edited by Adrian Wintle

It would depend on what was happening inside the building. The roof of the main manufacturing building where I work has an incredible mixture of vents and pipes required by the manufacturing processes happening underneath that include a sterilizing plant and a structure that houses a big LNG-powered generator. Production lines get rearranged requiring different ducting arrangements, old stuff is often left in place since to remove it means filling in the hole in the roof, so over time you have a forest of fixtures on the roof.

Adrian's suggestion is really the only way to go, at least for contemporary structures.

Thanks for the suggestions, the layout is based around the mid to late 1960s. I was wondering how many AC units there would be if any on the tenement buildings and if there would be any stacks etc on the roof. Will indeed look on some ariel views

Thanks for the suggestions, the layout is based around the mid to late 1960s. I was wondering how many AC units there would be if any on the tenement buildings and if there would be any stacks etc on the roof. Will indeed look on some ariel views

There probably wouldn't be rooftop A/C on the tenement buildings. It is more likely that the (relatively) wealthier residents would have window A/C units. Stacks on the roof would depend a bit on what sort of heating there was (although I'd guess at electric baseboard heaters, so no stacks there). There might be vent stacks for the plumbing, though.

Here is one that has been retrofitted with A/C units on the roof, but I have my doubts about whether they would have been present in the '60s (actually, on closer inspection through Streetview, there are a lot of window units).

https://maps.google.ca/maps?hl=en&ll=40.402683,-79.87075&spn=0.001167,0.0012&t=h&z=20

Here is one with window units:

https://maps.google.ca/maps?hl=en&ll=40.421095,-79.886361&spn=0.000003,0.0012&t=h&z=20&layer=c&cbll=40.421095,-79.886361&panoid=GvFzxIJ1Kr_3pXXHpc43ng&cbp=12,99.72,,0,-18.4

Adrian

Edited by Adrian Wintle

Had a look through some of Monon books this morning and in the period looking at the roof lines are remarkably clean with some roof hoppers, vents and a few stacks. There seem to be a good selection of roof mounted signage and painted signs on the walls of buildings.