OO Gauge Hudswell Clarke 24t 0-6-0ST

DJM Dave

Just as curious as the other posters, I had assumed there was progress but heard nothing so far. They are on the website as future items.

I will add my voice to this growing choir. As a pre 1948 UK modeler this appears to be the only one of your direct products announced that would apply.  Commission products too are tending to post December 31, 1947 rolling stock (except Kernow Gated Stock coaches.)

Edited by autocoach

I'll add my voice here, too. I'm currently working on an industrial shunting plank as a side-project. I have no intention of paying over the odds on eBay for a Hornby Peckett, lovely model though it is. If I could reserve one of these with a deposit I'd be first in line!

Edited by MarkSG
  • Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

I imagine that Dave is concentrating on other models at the moment and needs the profits to come in before he tackles this one. This project has the advantage that there is no other RTR version to compete with it.

Fair play but I just don't understand why he hasn't even answered anyone's questions on this thread since a post back in August... 10 months ago. Even questions in the Ask Dave thread about this project go un-answered too. I understand why he's a busy guy and he has every right to respond as he chooses but it just seems odd, especially given the amount of interest being expressed. Not trying to smear his good name or anything. Just confused.

• 1 month later...

Only because of reasons that I have made very clear within quite a few threads in the DJM section.

Once the cad is completed and I'm happy, it won't make a jot of difference to its release time, as that is down to cash flow.

So....if you've got £100k stashed down the back of the sofa and want to sponsor the tooling, I will look forward to your cheque and will push the project through quickly for you?

• Like 2

Thanks for the reply and the tone of it, Dave.

It was just a comment and it is free speech in this country, or is it , can we not have our views. Remember  good customer will is vital to the success of any business as we are the customer who you rely on to ultimately purchase your products to provide your living !

• RMweb Gold

Thanks for the reply and the tone of it, Dave.

It was just a comment and it is free speech in this country, or is it , can we not have our views. Remember  good customer will is vital to the success of any business as we are the customer who you rely on to ultimately purchase your products to provide your living !

Bit strong, isn't it?

C'mon folks, it's  model railways. It's not  as if our very lives depend upon it. Dave appears to have offered a potential client the opportunity to prioritise the production of the Hudswell Clarke locomotive. Seems to me a fair offer. I'll chip in for two, just to help the project along. There you go, just 10 minutes on the RM Web forum, and you've already achieved £250 worth of sales already. Only £99,750 to go. I'd guess that if all of he people feel the desire to have the model, then it's a surefire  certainty.  

By the way, my offer to buy at least 2-3 is sound. I've got a home for them on my colliery layout. I can wait for them until they come along. In the meantime, I might be doing something else, like, well, life really. Funny old thing, life....

Cheer up people. As the German sausage said:- " It could be wurst".

Ian.

• Like 1

"So....if you've got £100k stashed down the back of the sofa and want to sponsor the tooling, I will look forward to your cheque and will push the project through quickly for you? " 

Bit strong, isn't it?

Ian.

Not really, it was meant about the comment about the "£100K and pushing it through" as it could be taken the wrong way very easily!

Just that others may think it but  don't say anything. Enough said.

• RMweb Gold

"So....if you've got £100k stashed down the back of the sofa and want to sponsor the tooling, I will look forward to your cheque and will push the project through quickly for you? " 

Not really, it was meant about the comment about the "£100K and pushing it through" as it could be taken the wrong way very easily!

Just that others may think it but  don't say anything. Enough said.

Or 10 people with £10k, or 100 with a £1000, but what's the ROI looking like ?

• 4 months later...

Reading through the latest BRM and the 'Warley 2017 Roundup' section, I spotted under DJ Models' Hudswell Clarke entry, 'a Q4 2018 or Q1 2019 release is expected' -- pleased to see this! 

all the best,

Keith

Will believe it when and if it happens its been 3 and half years (2014) since it was announced !

• 2 months later...

Okay folks.

I dropped into my local MR shop today and asked if there is anything forthcoming that might be of interest.

The owner said that there is, to paraphrase, don't expect anything soon. I gather Hornby are still struggling and something may be going on at Bachmann as some 2018 products have been pushed back to next year along with other signs.

I made the point, which the shop owner accepted, that although DJ leaves himself open to criticism through his marketing and announcements he does seem at the moment to be delivering products. OK there are long lead in times. Yet the products are decent and out there. 

I'm inclined to think that people complaining on this site don't necessarily appreciate the financial commitment required to design, commission and produce a locomotive, or for that matter a piece of rolling stock. 

Like many sectors the model railways are currently undergoing a period of consolidation. That we have the likes of Oxford, DJ, Peco (who have been around since just after the flood and are a thriving business) as well as some others are the best hope for the future.

Edited by theevilpupster

• 4 months later...
  • RMweb Gold

Will believe it when and if it happens its been 3 and half years (2014) since it was announced !

Just taken a look at the description on the DJM website for this loco and hadn't noticed this line before,

"This model is already in development within the factory in China."

http://djmodels.co.uk/?page_id=375

Plus a price of £109.95 mentioned.

Cheers,

Keith

• Like 3

• RMweb Gold

Just taken a look at the description on the DJM website for this loco and hadn't noticed this line before,

"This model is already in development within the factory in China."

http://djmodels.co.uk/?page_id=375

Plus a price of £109.95 mentioned.

Cheers,

Keith

Have a look on the progress chart - two lots of 'TBA' which suggests there might not be much happening and certainly nothing reported as completed apart from initial R&D

Only Dave can say for certain, of course, but I'd expect this to be a definite goer. We've already seen, with the Hornby Peckett and the Hatton's Barclay, that industrials do sell. I've placed a pre-order expression of interest in it, and I suspect I'm far from the only one. The J94 is a lovely little model, and I have no reason to believe that this will be any different.

The only real issue with it, as far as I can see, is that as an essentially one-man-band company, this may not necessarily be high on DJM's priorities. But I'm not too fussed about that. I've now got a Peckett on order, which is due to arrive in the next month or so. So I'm not reliant on this for progress on my industrial project. But when it does turn up, it will be a welcome addition. Whenever it arrives.

• Like 2

Just looked at the first post in this topic and it is now over 4 years since it was posted.

I'm wondering if it will ever appear or was it just announced to stop anyone else producing a similar model?

As with a lot of DJM items it will appear but it will take a long time and is dependent on a number of other projects coming to market first to release capital. Only Dave will know the position for certain though. Lovely prototype though...... I have a 7mm scale version and love it! You could always 'go O gauge' if you're desparate for one ;) The Ixion model is fantastic value for money but will set you off on a slippery slope to the senior scale.......

• Like 3

• 3 weeks later...

I think the thing that confuses me with this (though I openly admit I know nothing about the industry and production process) is how many models have been announced and completed (or at least made considerable progress) since this was announced. I discovered DJM a few years ago because I was googling for an oo model of a Hudswell and this popped up. At the time there were quite a few less models on the pre-order list. Since then, Dave's announced all sorts of new models and most of those seem to be making progress, whereas this one seems to have been standing still the whole time.

Does he anticipate a very small customer base so he's prioritising other potentially more popular stuff first?