OO Gauge Hudswell Clarke 24t 0-6-0ST

DJM Dave

Without really wishing to add to the Wishlist too much...what about the Peckett B3?

Six were constructed (earliest being 1935), with three entering into preservation. Small, rugged looking, outside cylinder 0-6-0ST.

Regards,

Matt

Not on my layout!  There would be loads more.... :)

Yes, but would you be able to absorb a complete production run?  

As the owner of eleven serviceable Dapol A3s it isn't easy.........

Les

• Like 1

• 2 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...

It's all gone very quiet.  Any chance of an update?

Any chance of a pre-WW1 cab variant?

Fit nicely with the 1890s Hornby Peckett if there was.

Nothing to report for about 6 weeks I'm afraid, but soon'ish possibly

I'll post here or my website when I have some news that I feel I can or want to publish.

Cheers

Dave

• 3 weeks later...

Thank you for the update Dave, good to know things are still moving. Ridiculously excited about this loco and am very close to taking my first steps into kit-bashing for something to accompany it on my layout once released.

Just a quick question: I have a feeling that when I first discovered your website and the ad for this loco, I saw some pictures either on your website or one of your distributors' websites (Hattons or Rails maybe?) showing examples of what the locos may look like once completed. I'm not sure if these were photoshop jobs, renders or pre-production samples but either way I can't find any such photos now

Am I imagining this? If not, are said pics still available?

Cheers

Dave,

Again, not wishing to add to wish lists, but has the public attention paid to Hornby's "pretty" Huntley and Palmer 0-4-0T meant that you have given thought to more commercially attractive liveries ?

I know you are interested in accuracy, but IF (a big IF) "prettiness" sells, it might be worth considering.

• 1 month later...

Adding comment to get this item on my RMWEB radar. 

In my parallel universe of what might have been run in a location where it was never seen, one of these might just work as the private shunter at the Wenford clay dries.  I expect they probably used pinch bars or horses or even a capstan but these are beyond my animation skills to shunt empty and loaded ECLP clay wagons. The 2 BWT's that could make it up the Wenford Bridge branch were of course kept busy pulling empty clay wagons up the hill and braking loaded ones down to Boscarne Junction. 

Thus additional shunting power would be needed. Hence the acquisition in the immediate postwar period of a Hudswell Clarke 0-6-0 Tank to muscle the clay wagons around.

Which gives me good reason to look at acquiring a Hudswell Clarke when they appear.  I actually would want a drab black or grey livery that I can remove any trace of the original owner.  It would be simply lettered ECLP and numbered #1. Highly weathered with clay dust washed down with good Cornish rain. (ECLP=English Clays Lovering Pochin & Co. Ltd)

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

I fear that the Hudswell Clarke will start to feel lonely, now that it now longer has Bachmann's Birdcage coaches to keep it company in model railway Never Never Land!

I am sure that it will materialise eventually, and be quite exquisite when it does.  I am living in hope of news that we might get a pre-WW1 variant, otherwise I'll have to pass.

I am sure that it will materialise eventually, and be quite exquisite when it does.  I am living in hope of news that we might get a pre-WW1 variant, otherwise I'll have to pass.

My Ixion O gauge one would probably be OK with rivets added to the cab, a new smokebox door, and sandboxes above, rather than below, the footplate, so it may not be too traumatic to convert.

Maybe a silly question but is this the 'countess of warwick class' 0-6-0? Hope so, had a little drive of one at the North Norfolk Railway the other week and like to get a model.

Steve.

I'm not sure, but it is the prototype of 'Wissington' (which also lives in East Anglia): http://www.mandgn.co.uk/page.php?pid=37

• RMweb Gold

Dave,

Again, not wishing to add to wish lists, but has the public attention paid to Hornby's "pretty" Huntley and Palmer 0-4-0T meant that you have given thought to more commercially attractive liveries ?

I know you are interested in accuracy, but IF (a big IF) "prettiness" sells, it might be worth considering.

In the case of the Hornby Peckett, it seems to be the "standard" ex-works colour that seems to be in greatest demand suggesting that many potential buyers want a loco that will "blend in" to a wide variety of scenarios rather than being specific to a single location.

The lined light green version was also the quickest seller when this loco was released in 7mm scale by Ixion, so Dave's choices for initial liveries seem to be pretty much on the mark. 

My guess is that the more "anonymous" green and black liveries will provide the backbone of sales to modellers who want the loco to use/customise. The flashier ones can then come and go to keep the collectors and Rule 1 runners happy.

John

In the case of the Hornby Peckett, it seems to be the "standard" ex-works colour that seems to be in greatest demand suggesting that many potential buyers want a loco that will "blend in" to a wide variety of scenarios rather than being specific to a single location. ...

Not necessarily.  The "standard" livery is still available from Hornby (and others) merely at a higher cost.

It would SEEM that certain retail outlets have sold out of THEIR pre-orders, there is no indication that "Dodo" is selling more or less than the Huntley and Palmer version.  It all depends on how many of each version retail outlets ordered (and Hornby produce(d)).

• RMweb Gold

Not necessarily.  The "standard" livery is still available from Hornby (and others) merely at a higher cost.

It would SEEM that certain retail outlets have sold out of THEIR pre-orders, there is no indication that "Dodo" is selling more or less than the Huntley and Palmer version.  It all depends on how many of each version retail outlets ordered (and Hornby produce(d)).

Hornby's normal practice is to produce equal numbers of all versions in the first tranche of new releases - hence the typical difficulty in obtaining sufficient brake-end coaches when new ranges are released whilst full firsts generally linger.

The point I was trying to make is that a (probable) majority of modellers have layouts set somewhere other than Reading. If they want a loco to fit their chosen scene, they will obviously find the ex-works style (possibly renamed to choice) easier to accommodate/excuse than either of the "branded" versions.

Those who don't care about that sort of thing will continue not to. Neither of us knows which forms the larger cohort of would-be purchasers, the relative numbers ordered by retailers or how many of each Hornby plan to retain to sell via their website.

For myself, I no longer buy anything that I don't plan to use, I just can't spare the room. I also don't do "pretty" or "elaborate" for its own sake, so the one I've ordered is 'Dodo', which is quite pretty enough anyway IMHO.

John

Edited by Dunsignalling

Hey Dave, just been looking at your product progress page. It seems that the Hudswell was announced 10 months after the J94, which obviously has not long been released. Is it fair to assume that these two models haven't progressed at the same pace and so the Hudswell is more than 10 months away from release? This is no criticism, just trying to get an idea of a timescale so I can plan to save!

• 2 months later...
  • 4 months later...