Bachmann NRM/Locomotionmodels.com - GNR Ivatt C1

• RMweb Gold

On the other side of the coin, it should be remembered that all design processes are a compromise.

For example, if we ask whether or not the model needs to be easily convertible to EM or P4, a good 95% or more would reply that it is not important for them. The fact the end product will be easy or not to convert, will then be more by luck than design, unless of course it can be included at no extra cost.

The same could be said for separately fitted cabs. This will only occur if there no other option than to mould the cab separately or they actually intend to model the cab variants, it will not happen just to please the odd customer so that they can easily modify the model if it means extra cost and a higher price.

As there are definitely a couple of different cab mouldings, plus two different smokeboxes and several smokebox doors it is easy to assume that further variants might be possible (more like probable) at a future date and provided initial sales do well.

In criticising the price it is very easy to forget (or not bother to check) how Bachmann prices for commissions are coming out elsewhere - and the plain fact is that they have risen substantially since last year, and will more than likely continue to rise if they are in any way manufacturing cost related (which they now are of course).  Equally the market price for a fairly straightforward newly tooled 0-6-0 is around £100-110 and many long available steam outline models of larger types are hitting the £140-150 area, without any contribution from them going into any sort of railway museum.  Against those sort of measures the C1 is not particularly out of kilter price wise, even if it happens to be a lot of money.

And we all have a choice - if you want one and can afford it you can buy one;  if you don't want one - for whatever reason - that is your choice, and unlike Income Tax the buying of toy trains is not compulsory.

• Like 2

Most people buy locos and models they like ,not if fits a time period that most  buyers never  follow anyway .We think we the mainstream on here but really we are a minority .The fact that these sprawling home layouts with dodgy track and running everything in sight dont appear on here much doesnt mean they not the majority .It just means they dont want to get shot down by ,ahem, enthusiasts who take it far more (too ?) serious than many.i have just bought a Blackstone HOn3  loco   that I have no track for .other than a bit of dual gauge .And it cost me small fortune .The Atlantic will be a great model and will sell out because it will be a great attractive model that many will covert on and off the layout .

Whoops forgot .Its also bloody cheap .

Edited by alfsboy
  • Like 4

• RMweb Gold

Why sound so surprised ? This has been in the public domain since late July.

There was life before 1948.Some of us ,believe it or not ,were actually THERE.You looked at prices of new releases lately ? New Hornby King weighing in at £145 plus ? DJM example around £160 ?

62822 ran in BR livery. The Plant Centenarian,the Atlantic's valedictory outing,was in the early 50's.Does it matter when it ran for goodness sake ?It was...is....an example of the beauty and grace of British locomotive engineering in its heyday and at its finest.You wish whom well ?Locomotion Models ,Shildon NRM and not Bachmann own sole rights to this model.But....you ask.But what,exactly?

I would have thought its meaning is crystal clear

Unlike some I've got better things to do watch these mega threads develop. Mostly they are just froth and are particularly boring. I simply noticed that 'LNWRmodeller' put in his twopenneth and as he usually has some pertinent points to make I took an interest. Then I noticed the price attached to the model.

Yes there was life before BR and I too can remember locos carriages and wagons in pre-nationalisation liveries, but the point is that pre-nationalisation is a minority interest nowadays and this loco is priced well over the normal asking price for such an item. Also I would suggest, with respect, that not too many people will want to model the 'Plant Centenarian' train.

'Micklner' in his post above makes a number of good points.

Bachmann have produced Collectors Club Editions of its L&Y tank in its original livery, G.C. liveried version of the J11 and a Wainwright 'C' as a main range edition in S.E.C.R. livery. They all sold out quickly.On what evidence do you assume that pre - nationalisation modelling  is a minority interest ? There are some fantastic pre war layouts going the rounds at all major exhibitions as I am sure you are aware,some of them LNER themed.The Gresley Beat being one and one now in under development has the potential to be a show stopper of equal merit..that being 'Grantham...the streamliner years'(think that's its title,apologies if I got it wrong).My reference to The Plant Centenarian was merely to illustrate that the C1 worked until the early50's.

Sorry that you find many threads froth and boring.I think this one has been livelier than most.

Edited by Ian Hargrave
  • Like 3

It is clear from the things written across RMweb that people buy whatever takes their fancy. If I were to be 'logical' about RTR, I would be dead wrong. The early Diesel one-off's can be found on planks and TMD's alongside Deltics and EWS Class 66's. Whether the GNR Atlantic lasted into BR is immaterial and the proof of this can be viewed from past threads when many off the latest model locos are selling very well in pre-grouping liveries, the SE&CR green C Class variant being a prime example. 

Edited by coachmann

I think you are right about the whatever takes their fancy to run on the persons layout Coachman, I try and stick to two eras BR blue and a preserved era (ok I have the apple green Tornado) but that is a "what if this was built and preserved" and also Great Central A1 with part of my layout being Rothley station on the GCR I found that it would be fitting. Apart from a few things like that I try to stick to the era of which I am building. There will NEVER a piece of Canadian muck on my layout (class 59, 66) or any of the other invaders that were not built in Europe.

• RMweb Premium

Well I tend to run mine in three eras now BR Transition, BR Blue and most recently I've had a reawakening of interest in the big 4. Sparked off by the P2,since then I've acquired a J39 and 2 J72s all second hand . So looking forward to my C1, it was a must have as I've always wanted one since I saw them in a Partwork in the 70s. Really handsome engines and promises to be something special. That said, at that price it will probably be one of a very few new loco purchases next year

I have no interest in pre BR (no real interest in steam either for that matter) but I saw, I liked and I ordered*.

If you dont like the model or the price then dont order, Companies are in business to make money, this Company is in the business of making model trains and they will price them at the maximum price they think they can get away with so as to maximise profit, if they get it right then they will have money in the bank to put towards another model, if they get the sums wrong then expect to see the models in the bargain bin and no new models.

Oh I say this as a person that has found the change from £30 lima locos to £200 Bachmann, Hornby etc models quite a shock (I still question the 'need' for a new loco) but am happy to pay this price bearing in mind the costs of the Company bringing this loco to the market.

* A few months later I saw, I liked and I nearly ordered again because I had forgotten about the first order but that is a different story!

• Like 1

Please don't let it be an opening smokebox door.  IMHO these are the biggest waste of money in tooling a steam locomotive.  They are seldom well done, and I for one don't intend this lovely graceful loco to be sitting around with its front door open!