Users will currently see a stripped down version of the site until an advertising issue is fixed. If you are seeing any suspect adverts please go to the bottom of the page and click on Themes and select IPS Default. ×
RMweb

Ragtag

• RMweb Gold

There does seem to be a reasonable demand for DC Kits, more so than Charles realises. I can sympathise with that as in fairness to him the kits were very well designed.

If people really want a return of DCK then those people could always get together and wave a wad of notes under Charles nose and see if he will sell the tooling and production rights.

Hi Derek,

I've been trying to get Charlie to reintroduce the kits range for over 2 years - no success.

I'm sure he does realise that there is still a demand for them, but, as per his earlier message and my comments - it comes down to the finances required to do this and the potential income as a result.

If, as he implied earlier in the thread, the return is not worth the expenditure, (currently?), why would he take the risk?

Thanks

Phil,

I think you may not have read what I wrote fully. I suggested that if there are enough people who want the kits- go to Charles and ask him if he will sell all the tools, moulds and the design rights to the kits.

This is not a recommendation to anyone or an offer to start any balls rolling, just an observation that if enough people do feel strongly about it they can always ask him. He might say yes, he might say no, he might promise to get back to you in a few weeks (in which case pencil in your diary to remind him) or him might just stand and scowl at you for wasting his time. Who knows.

Hi Derek,

I've been trying to get Charlie to reintroduce the kits range for over 2 years - no success.

I'm sure he does realise that there is still a demand for them, but, as per his earlier message and my comments - it comes down to the finances required to do this and the potential income as a result.

If, as he implied earlier in the thread, the return is not worth the expenditure, (currently?), why would he take the risk?

Thanks

Phil,

I think you may not have read what I wrote fully. I suggested that if there are enough people who want the kits- go to Charles and ask him if he will sell all the tools, moulds and the design rights to the kits.

This is not a recommendation to anyone or an offer to start any balls rolling, just an observation that if enough people do feel strongly about it they can always ask him. He might say yes, he might say no, he might promise to get back to you in a few weeks (in which case pencil in your diary to remind him) or him might just stand and scowl at you for wasting his time. Who knows.

Best hope they get in there before a mythical bird and its exacting enamels... ;)

Well then a few thoughts if I may- and this is without any knowledge of what is or is not happening with DCK, what stock or tools was damaged, whether £6k is to re-run all present kits or each product, whether a factory would do just one kit on its own or whether you would still need a minimum of £6k just for the one product.

1a. Those interested get the cash together to ask Charles to buy the tools/rights (as discussed)

1b. Or just ask Charles to sell the whole lot of stock he has left. He might be more interested in selling the whole lot even if he cannot be bothered to sell them individually.

2. As much as I like the DCK 105, realities are that with an RTR version sales will be limited- not viable and the same applies to others (except the 205 as it has a centre coach option...)

3. The amount of times I have seen reference to the Swindon 120 unit on RMW- I'm sure that kit would have a fair few advance orders, but whether it is enough I don't know.

I cannot speak for his greatness, but I suspect any attempt to persuade him to re-start it with advance orders would be a waste of time (as Scottish Modeller indicates above).

Best bet is ***IF*** there are enough people then either asking to buy the whole stock outright (Charles is a business man after all) or buy the tools/ rights or both.

I guess if there were enough people wanting the same kit and were prepared to at least put up a deposit Charlie might be interested in doing something, worth a try at least

• RMweb Premium

Hi Martin,

The best way would be for you to send a list of 'Wants' to Charlie.

Then - when he has time and opportunity - he can let you know what he can and cannot supply.

However - don't expect this to be a fast process as he has so much going on already.

You have to bear in mind that a lot of what he has going on is a lot more time critical and important due to it's financial implications....

I dare say if you were to put a list up here of your wants - then you may find other members are willing to fill your needs.

Thanks

I want to build a 119 and a 120, may use etched sides but would like his roofs and cabs at least

• 4 weeks later...

At the BRM Peterborough show Charles was good enough to loan me a DJM Class 71 for a trial run on my layout Meopham East Junction. I wish to thank him and Biffo for that.

You can see and hear the results here at 7.47 mins. 

Further thanks to grasslandsmodels.

Edited by Judge Dread
  • Like 3

• RMweb Gold

Well then a few thoughts if I may- and this is without any knowledge of what is or is not happening with DCK, what stock or tools was damaged, whether £6k is to re-run all present kits or each product, whether a factory would do just one kit on its own or whether you would still need a minimum of £6k just for the one product.

1a. Those interested get the cash together to ask Charles to buy the tools/rights (as discussed)

1b. Or just ask Charles to sell the whole lot of stock he has left. He might be more interested in selling the whole lot even if he cannot be bothered to sell them individually.

2. As much as I like the DCK 105, realities are that with an RTR version sales will be limited- not viable and the same applies to others (except the 205 as it has a centre coach option...)

3. The amount of times I have seen reference to the Swindon 120 unit on RMW- I'm sure that kit would have a fair few advance orders, but whether it is enough I don't know.

I cannot speak for his greatness, but I suspect any attempt to persuade him to re-start it with advance orders would be a waste of time (as Scottish Modeller indicates above).

Best bet is ***IF*** there are enough people then either asking to buy the whole stock outright (Charles is a business man after all) or buy the tools/ rights or both.

Apart from the units not yet available rtr, even a kit such as the 105 may sell reasonably well given that it is so much cheaper than the rtr at recent prices.

Charlie was good enough to explain in quite some detail that it was a hell of a lot more involved than I thought (and even then I thought it would be tougher than many other people assumed).

As much as I prefer the DCK 105 to the Bachmann one, I think duplication of RTR would not generate very many sales. I could, however, see the 120 Swindon unit selling- but again, would it be enough? I suspect if it was selling high levels then Charlie would never have stopped selling the kits. That is just my opinion though.

Anyway, some of the tools have been damaged plus they are busy with their new 'secret' model.

Apart from the units not yet available rtr, even a kit such as the 105 may sell reasonably well given that it is so much cheaper than the rtr at recent prices.

I would be interested in a full class 119 or 120 kit as well!

Maybe we need to sort out how many people would buy one straight away if they could be made available, okay it isnt worth their time for 5 or 10 kits but upwards of 25 or 50 might make the time required worthwhile, just a thought!

Edited by royaloak

• RMweb Premium

I would be interested in a full class 119 or 120 kit as well!

Maybe we need to sort out how many people would buy one straight away if they could be made available, okay it isnt worth their time for 5 or 10 kits but upwards of 25 or 50 might make the time required worthwhile, just a thought!

I need both but funds as always are the issue.

DMU wants

101 got 2 need 3 (need to retire the Triang)

116 got 2 need 2

117 got 2 need 2

118 got 1 need 1

119 got 0 need 1 or 2

120 got 0 need 1

• RMweb Premium

Charlie was at the Leeds Show at the weekend. He is very busy at the moment either preparing for shows, attending shows or getting on with trying to keep up to date with orders.

I tried to order various items from his web site this morning, every item I wanted was out of stock.   I then tried to see what I could order, nothing as every item I tried to order is out of stock.

• RMweb Premium

No joy on the phone either ... thanks for replies . I give up....

Best to ring him of a morning from 9 till 12 he is generally there unless he has set off to go to a show

• 3 months later...