Burton On Trent in N2

RBE

Looking great so far. Pontefract is fairly local to me, I'll definitely be coming along to that if all goes to plan!

Look forward to seeing you there. Ponte is one of my favourite shows of the year.

Top work Bud. Nice to see the ultimate traction was used for the first runs. Only way to go. HaHa.

Unfortunately my 60 is still sat in its box waiting for a running in session. Great to meet up and have a chin wag the other day and apologies to Aex for keeping you away for a couple of hours.

All the best mate

Cheers

Marcus

I was tempted to run my 60 first. Chose the 37 in the end. I've been looking forward to seeing your 60 on PDW. Was nice to catch up at Burton.

All good - Power ON!

Surprised how wide the foreground of the layout is - plenty of sidings for whatever (what was stored - stabled there then?) to add interest.

Ian

Yes it almost looks like too much room. It was used and still is for departmental stabling. I might also use it for wagon repair and loco stabling too to add further interest. I could certainly get away with stabling up departmental locos there.

The layout is looking superb. It has a lovely spacious feel to it and the modelling is first class. You must be very pleased.

Thanks, I'm pretty pleased yes. Just got get cracking now and get it done. Edited by RBE

Got an hour in today to add some greenery to the office area. The foliage looks a bit light at the minute as the pva is still wet but it will darken down. Once the whole layout is done I'll go over it with some light brown in the airbrush to knock back the saturation and tie it all together.

post-6894-0-87938100-1497718763_thumb.jpg

post-6894-0-87705400-1497718784_thumb.jpg

post-6894-0-78533000-1497718798_thumb.jpg

Edited by RBE
  • Like 19

Today I spent a hour or so building a rolling road following the poor running of my locos. Works a treat and only cost around £20 to build the set.

post-6894-0-72513500-1497819795_thumb.jpg

And a little video of 37511 taking a spin.

• Like 12

So I've been building the brewery and installing backscenes. The brewery is not finished yet but gives a good indication of the final look. I did the brickwork in Redutex, which is expensive, but the bricks are nicely rendered. I ended up painting it though as the colour as standard just didn't look at all right. The backscenes are ID 00 gauge ones cut down to give housing very close to the scene. I'm not sure that the one I got was the one I actually ordered, or thought I had but as its only a representation of the real place it will do just as well. I'm pretty pleased with the depth its given the scene and I'm sure I will be even happier once I've covered most of it with 3D stuff.

post-6894-0-57426900-1498468825_thumb.jpg

post-6894-0-84661400-1498468860_thumb.jpg

post-6894-0-66245600-1498468888_thumb.jpg

Edited by RBE
  • Like 16

• RMweb Premium

The brewery is an impressively sized building. Personally I'm not sure about the backscene though. I hate to say it but the scale of the houses just doesn't look right to me. The chimney tops are at the height of the station building!

Cheers

Dave

Cheers for the comments Dave, much appreciated, the brewery is actually about 2/3 the length of the real one due to the layout compression.

The chimneys on the houses aren't quite as high as you are saying but I do see your point. They are probably about 5mm too high which is minimal really, it does bring the houses much nearer than I wanted though. I am going to add a fair bit of greenery and other buildings in front of them so hopefully it will help them to blend in better. As I said though it wasn't the backscene I thought I'd ordered. The houses were more straight on and smaller on that one so I think would have been better but hey ho it is what it is.

Looking good mate

I think the backscene is cool, it does look higher than the buildings but that could just be the view the pics are from

But to be honest it looks bloody cool

Hi and glad to have your interest.

Well down by the road where the station is I will be doing a low relief version of the end of the house/pub/b&b or whatever it is on the left as you head down towards the town hall. In reality it is further back from the tracks but bringing it forward makes sense to add some 3D scenery and a scenic lead there. Then going along towards the brewery I will add some foliage/trees behind the wall. If I was doing present day there would be a nice big residential new build block there but I don't have that luxury. Between there and the brewery there is a green metal industrial unit and then another unit with a fenced off yard at the back coming towards the tracks. Then the other side of the brewery building there are some other brewery structures and I will do a low relief end of the large building that is now the business centre on moor street.

As the layout has been compressed to fit in a specific space there are unavoidable compromises but none that detract from the sense of place.

• Like 1

As the layout has been compressed to fit in a specific space there are unavoidable compromises but none that detract from the sense of place.

Yes, by far the majority of quality layouts based on a real location have some amount of compression and compromise.

It makes sense to compress the footprint of large buildings rather than just the track layout so that there is an overall sense of location, relationships and space. Carefully done, as you've done so far, it can give a good feel and represent the real location very appropriately without the reductions being obvious. I've been similarly compressing the buildings I've been scratch building for my new layout :  http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/115057-scratch-built-card-and-styrene-structures-based-on-real-buildings/page-1

Overall this layout is looking rather nice with a good feel and appropriate use of space. I'm looking forward to seeing more progress.

G. 

Edited by grahame
  • Like 1

Thanks Graham. Some very nice buildings on that thread of yours. As you say if the area is to be compressed then it makes sense to compress the structures in order to still acheive the same sense of place that the original has.

I would have built BoT to true scale if it was my main project but i started it as a stop gap project while I made room to build something bigger. How my time will pan out once BoT is finished will be another story though. Any further projects will certainly proceed at their own pace with no rushing or urgency to fit modelling time in.

I can see me doing a lot more to stock etc once the layout is done.

Edited by RBE

I did some measuring today too. The houses on the backscene have the tip of the chimney pots 65mm from baseboard level. That works out as a scale 31.5 ft. A modern house built prior to 1980 is likely to have 10ft high ceilings and about 2.5ft more height in floor thickness therefore to gutters about 22.5ft. The roof would be about 10ft more so I reckon the apex to be about 32.5ft. A foot higher than the chimney tops on the backscene. That shows the houses to be slightly smaller than scale size so supports the idea that they are a tiny bit further back in perspective from the plane of the backscene. Perfect. My mind is settled!

Edited by RBE
  • Like 3

So I've been building the brewery and installing backscenes. The brewery is not finished yet but gives a good indication of the final look. I did the brickwork in Redutex, which is expensive, but the bricks are nicely rendered. I ended up painting it though as the colour as standard just didn't look at all right. The backscenes are ID 00 gauge ones cut down to give housing very close to the scene. I'm not sure that the one I got was the one I actually ordered, or thought I had but as its only a representation of the real place it will do just as well. I'm pretty pleased with the depth its given the scene and I'm sure I will be even happier once I've covered most of it with 3D stuff.

attachicon.gif2017-06-26 10.14.13.jpg

attachicon.gif2017-06-26 10.14.31.jpg

attachicon.gif2017-06-26 10.15.06.jpg

Great stuff, really liking this.

Regards G.

I did some measuring today too. The houses on the backscene have the tip of the chimney pots 65mm from baseboard level. That works out as a scale 31.5 ft. A modern house built prior to 1980 is likely to have 10ft high ceilings and about 2.5ft more height in floor thickness therefore to gutters about 22.5ft. The roof would be about 10ft more so I reckon the apex to be about 32.5ft. A foot higher than the chimney tops on the backscene. That shows the houses to be slightly smaller than scale size so supports the idea that they are a tiny bit further back in perspective from the plane of the backscene. Perfect. My mind is settled!

Class measuring up Cav.

This bl@@dy backscene  :banghead: I knew you had issues with it - a difficult one but hopefully will blend in with the other low relief bits.

Ian

Hi Cav,

Just having a catch up. The layout is looking great looking forwards to seeing some of your great looking stock having a run.

Cheers Peter.