DJM Dave

OO gauge class 74 electro-diesel locomotive

Excellent news, and announced sooner than hoped for...Cheers Dave :sungum:

I only ever cabbed a dead one on Eastleigh depot as a child, but have long been interested in these semi-monstrosities...a TOPS version will be on order next week for sure.

Excellent news!

It is a pity that no 74 ever survived into preservation and got repainted back into its original (ex-class 71) green livery so that Dave could also offer us a green version.....

Let's hope the "red team" can resist the temptation to duplicate and do something more useful - like all 3 versions of the "Hornby" electrics

I always said I'd be up for at least one 74 if and when produced.  And come Monday I'll be as good as my word.  

Edit : It's Monday evening here.  Two class 74s are now on order

Edited by Gwiwer
  • Like 1

You beat me to it. I ordered one as my coffee went cold. Generous discount if you ordered a 71.

How do you get the generous discount? I've got a 71 on order from Kernow, and I tried to order a 74 from them but it came up at the full price.

Edited by Budgie

How do you get the generous discount? I've got a 71 on order from Kernow, and I tried to order a 74 from them but it came up at the full price.

If you read the Kernow web page it clearly states that the discount will be applied when they process your order and the value refunded to you.

The website says that the discount and postage charge will be deducted manually.

Ordered mine to go with my 71.

What a pity I was dissuaded from visiting Fareham this last weekend.

Dave

If you read the Kernow web page it clearly states that the discount will be applied when they process your order and the value refunded to you.

The website says that the discount and postage charge will be deducted manually.

OK, sorry. It's a but early for me; I don't normally get going until midday (at least that's my excuse).

Rather wierd livery description on the Kernow website - "small full yellow ends"........

Keith

Rather wierd livery description on the Kernow website - "small full yellow ends"........

Keith

Indeed.  Email enquiry sent to confirm the actual meaning.  TOPS-numbered locos should have a full yellow end.  Pre-TOPS locos I believe carried a small panel upon first release to traffic which matched the initial Rep/TC livery and that of numerous DEMU units in the Hampshire area at the time.

Pre-TOPS locos I believe carried a small panel upon first release to traffic which matched the initial Rep/TC livery and that of numerous DEMU units in the Hampshire area at the time.

Blue with full yellow ends from conversion in 1967 according to various images in 'The Power of the Electro-Diesels' by Colin Marsden, and the Electro-Diesels An Illustrated History of Classes 73 and 74 by the same author.

Blue with full yellow ends from conversion in 1967 according to various images in 'The Power of the Electro-Diesels' by Colin Marsden, and the Electro-Diesels An Illustrated History of Classes 73 and 74 by the same author.

In which case all should be full yellow end.  

I was working at Crewe when they were done. All Blue Full Yellow Ends from new. Four BR Arrows and numbers both ends IIRC

Edited by TheSignalEngineer
  • Like 1

Keith

Website description already changed to "full yellow ends"

Keith

Order placed, weathered!

I remember seeing 74's at Clapham Junction on my way to and from school. The 71's I only saw on my way to stay at my grand parents in Deal.

Luke

Splendid ...........

Last seen, 74005 ISTR (whilst I was playing hockey at a tournament) on top of a pile of scrap next to Alexandra Park in Pompey in 1979 ....................

Hi ,

A good idea Dave and look forward to OO and then the well known ray machine to reduce to the other popular N gauge !

-go on you know you want too Old Elm will need a few on milk tank transfers

Robert

A weathered 74010 duly ordered tonight, hopefully these things will prove popular given their rather odd appeal?

Dave

Much more appeal that the geographically challenged class 71, good development.

The correct link is (Dave's link didn't find the right page).

http://www.kernowmodelrailcentre.com/c/1181/DJ-Models

Up front payments for an unseen model is too big a leap of faith for me, but will buy if the promised goods are delivered, so hoping for success here.

Neil