OO gauge class 74 electro-diesel locomotive

DJM Dave

Does this mean that the tooling is done or were you looking at a 3d printed sample

John

Hi John,

Neither, I was referring to the cad/cam.

The class 74 hasn’t got works drawings available that I could find, so using the 71 as a template it’s a case of using what we know regarding certain features and extrapolating detail, and basically moving it about a bit until,it fits and looks ok.

It’s very time consuming, and no doubt someone will pop up with works drawings now ............ please anyone? So that we can corroborate and confirm things, but the process takes time as there isn’t a loco to view and scan.

Once the cad is done it will, in my standard manner, be published for comments.

Hope this helps

Cheers

Dave

• RMweb Gold

Dave

I assume you’ve seen the BRB drawings provided by the Barrowmore group

http://www.barrowmoremrg.co.uk/BRBDocuments/BR_Electric_Locos_274_JP_Issue.pdf

Edit unfortunately class 74 not there!

Edit 2 : maybe worth dropping the RSSB a line here

https://www.rssb.co.uk/about-rssb/railway-documentation-and-drawing-services-ltd

If the drawings exist then they are most likely the custodians of them.

A terrific reference list of many useful drawings (Barrowmore) are there. I’ve used it many times.

Neil

Edited by Downendian

Dave

I assume you’ve seen the BRB drawings provided by the Barrowmore group

http://www.barrowmoremrg.co.uk/BRBDocuments/BR_Electric_Locos_274_JP_Issue.pdf

Edit unfortunately class 74 not there!

Edit 2 : maybe worth dropping the RSSB a line here

https://www.rssb.co.uk/about-rssb/railway-documentation-and-drawing-services-ltd

If the drawings exist then they are most likely the custodians of them.

A terrific reference list of many useful drawings (Barrowmore) are there. I’ve used it many times.

Neil

Unless I'm missing something, there ain't a '74' in that General Arrangement booklet - these aren't renowned for their accuracy of detail anyway :)

Also, I can confirm that Class 74 drawings do not exist in the RDDS library (second link).

Rgds,

Edited by leopardml2341

• RMweb Gold

Hi John,

Neither, I was referring to the cad/cam.

The class 74 hasn’t got works drawings available that I could find, so using the 71 as a template it’s a case of using what we know regarding certain features and extrapolating detail, and basically moving it about a bit until,it fits and looks ok.

It’s very time consuming, and no doubt someone will pop up with works drawings now ............ please anyone? So that we can corroborate and confirm things, but the process takes time as there isn’t a loco to view and scan.

Once the cad is done it will, in my standard manner, be published for comments.

Hope this helps

Cheers

Dave

Presumably you had this book, by RS Carter, in 4mm or was it not suitable ?

Class 74 is listed in the drawings.

https://britishrailwaybooks.co.uk/books/ianallan/mainlinediesels1963.php

Edited by adb968008

• RMweb Gold

I don't see how it could have the class 74 in it if it is a 1963 edition - the 74s weren't created until four years later.

I think the poster means the enlarged and revised edition published in 1975. Front, one side and roof elevation drawings are certainly in there, on page 63.

Edited by 4630
  • Like 1

• RMweb Gold

That would make more sense, 4630. The link posted indicates a 1963 edition, though.

It was the first url of the book I could find.

I have the 1975 book, but for the life of me couldn’t put my hands on it this morning, but I know it’s in there, above poster pointed it out.

Above poster also indicated it’s 1 side, and the 74 quite definitely has two distinct sides, so there’s a limitation there, however publishers Ian Allan may well have additional unpublished plates for this book and could be a source ?

Edited by adb968008
  • Like 1

• RMweb Gold

I’d be wary of using those drawings though as anything but a good guide, although better than a GA drawing.

The description on page 62 is incomplete and inaccuarate too, and the roof panels on page 63 are described as ‘transparent’. They weren’t. They were ‘translucent’. A small, but significant difference, if we want a model that’s reasonably accurate.

I know its probably not much help, but in researching Southern Way 14 Class 71s and 74s, I found the Brighton Drawing Register, so I have details of many of the drawings and their numbers.

I have a number of unused photos of 74s as well that I can make available.

Best wishes

Simon

• Like 5

I know its probably not much help, but in researching Southern Way 14 Class 71s and 74s, I found the Brighton Drawing Register, so I have details of many of the drawings and their numbers.

Best wishes

Simon

Hi Simon,

yes please.

please PM me.

cheers

Dave

• Like 2

• 3 weeks later...

Best wishes

Simon

I've just received my copy of said book and at first glance it appears to be "A right riveting read". I do hope it will allow DJ to bring on the production of his Class 74's.

• Like 1

I have not been following this thread recently, thinking that the project was dead, so it was a nice surprise to find that this is not so. There are some drawings of the locomotive on page 38 of British Rail Main Line Electric Locomotives by Colin J. Marsden & Graham B. Fenn (Oxford Publishing Co. ISBN 0 86093 559 0).

Dave

• 4 weeks later...

Great to read in the latest Model Rail that Dave has completed the CAD work and we might expect our models in the third quarter of 2018. Thanks, Dave, for persevering with this project. 

Dave R

Hi Dave,

It’s incorrect info i’m Afraid as the cad was due to be finished, but as yet isn’t. Just a case of a press release being read slightly wrongly at the magazine.

Apologies for the bum info.

Cheers

Dave

Hi Dave,

It’s incorrect info i’m Afraid as the cad was due to be finished, but as yet isn’t. Just a case of a press release being read slightly wrongly at the magazine.

Cheers

Dave

Any correction, Dave?

Hi Dave,

Cheers

Dave

Dave - is it a case of being unable to finish the CAD yet due to lack of info (as was the case) or just a delay in the process by the CAD person/team? If the latter, is there a prognosis of gestation?

Thanks

Dave - is it a case of being unable to finish the CAD yet due to lack of info (as was the case) or just a delay in the process by the CAD person/team? If the latter, is there a prognosis of gestation?

Thanks

Hi Mike,

A bit of that yes, but also a bit of me stamping my feet and not accepting something that I believe is sub standard, as the model will be judged, quite rightly, against the DJM 71. Getting that over to the engineer is......... problematic

Hi Mike,

A bit of that yes, but also a bit of me stamping my feet and not accepting something that I believe is sub standard, as the model will be judged, quite rightly, against the DJM 71. Getting that over to the engineer is......... problematic

I always say "put your foot down with a firm hand".

• Like 1