OO gauge class 74 electro-diesel locomotive

DJM Dave

I'm slightly confused by this, as I have said that once the cad/cam is done then I see an uptake in pre orders, as customers will see something more tangible regarding the project.

Once this has been completed I see a full push in advertising and web presence on the project.

As for Kernow comments, I am perplexed as we have not spoken about this 'policy' , but please remember it's not Kernows job to promote it, it's mine and this will be done as laid out above. Kernow are merely acting, as a follow on from the class 71 project, as bankers, if you will.

As for taking people's money, I've just checked online and not only is the 74 very easy to find, I found I could place orders for any single or multiple of the loco's which will be available without a problem. http://www.kernowmodelrailcentre.com/c/1181/DJ-Models

This hardly says to me that they aren't trying to take any orders, and I would imagine the boss of the company will be mortified to find incorrect info being given out at shows when I show him these comments, as he has a special commission for one in the list on the page I have linked too.

Cheers

Dave

• Like 2

I'm slightly confused by this, as I have said that once the cad/cam is done then I see an uptake in pre orders, as customers will see something more tangible regarding the project.

Once this has been completed I see a full push in advertising and web presence on the project.

As for Kernow comments, I am perplexed as we have not spoken about this 'policy' , but please remember it's not Kernows job to promote it, it's mine and this will be done as laid out above. Kernow are merely acting, as a follow on from the class 71 project, as bankers, if you will.

As for taking people's money, I've just checked online and not only is the 74 very easy to find, I found I could place orders for any single or multiple of the loco's which will be available without a problem. http://www.kernowmodelrailcentre.com/c/1181/DJ-Models

This hardly says to me that they aren't trying to take any orders, and I would imagine the boss of the company will be mortified to find incorrect info being given out at shows when I show him these comments, as he has a special commission for one in the list on the page I have linked too.

Cheers

Dave

Yes I know what you've said and it confused me why they were being so low key about it according to PeteB's post. You wouldn't think they would make comments like that after you said about the CADs etc...

As for the rest of your post, not sure why you picked my post to quote and not PeteB's???

Yes I know what you've said and it confused me why they were being so low key about it according to PeteB's post. You wouldn't think they would make comments like that after you said about the CADs etc...

As for the rest of your post, not sure why you picked my post to quote and not PeteB's???

Hi mate,

Quite right and apologies, I've taken the wrong post out. Sorry.

As for the comments re Kernow, sometimes you get 'staff' working who may not be up to speed on the machinations of the company they work for, and as such give info that may not be from the coal face, as it were. I think this might be the situation here.

Cheers

Dave

• Like 1

Great to hear the project is still on track.

But it remains that on that particular Kernow exhibition stand there was no reference to it anywhere - when I expressed interest it would have been nice if I had been encouraged to order one (he didn't know at that point that I have already ordered two).  I wonder how many orders could have been taken over the last year or so if there was a little display card describing the project and inviting orders?

I've just checked online and not only is the 74 very easy to find, I found I could place orders for any single or multiple of the loco's which will be available without a problem. http://www.kernowmod.../1181/DJ-Models

That's interesting, I have never found that particular page before.  After a few minutes of trying I found that you get to it via the "brands" menu and then DJM from the Kernow home page. The trouble with that is that you have to know you are looking for something by DJM - people browsing casually are not going to find it.  It needs a menu, something like "New Models Under development" which just has those not here yet - that might tweak somebody's interest.

But it remains that on that particular Kernow exhibition stand there was no reference to it anywhere - when I expressed interest it would have been nice if I had been encouraged to order one (he didn't know at that point that I have already ordered two).  I wonder how many orders could have been taken over the last year or so if there was a little display card describing the project and inviting orders?

That's interesting, I have never found that particular page before.  After a few minutes of trying I found that you get to it via the "brands" menu and then DJM from the Kernow home page. The trouble with that is that you have to know you are looking for something by DJM - people browsing casually are not going to find it.  It needs a menu, something like "New Models Under development" which just has those not here yet - that might tweak somebody's interest.

Hi Pete,

I just tried again using the search in google by typing in, ironically, ' Kernow class 74' and it took me to the same page I gave the link for in my earlier postings.

Cheers

Dave

Possibly the fact that it is listed under "Diesel" rather than "Electric" locomotives is making it harder to find?

But it remains that on that particular Kernow exhibition stand there was no reference to it anywhere 

Why would there be given that it is NOT a Kernow product?

As Dave has said in replying on this issue, the Class 74 is a DJM product that is being crowd funded, and as such it is up to DJM to handle all the publicity, etc.

Kernow is merely being kind enough to handle the payment taking/holding of money for the project, and harping on about Kernow not doing enough could simply harm future crowd funded models by convincing Kernow that the benefits of helping aren't worth the hassles.

• Like 1

I just tried again using the search in google by typing in, ironically, ' Kernow class 74'

What I'm trying to say here, is that it will only be found by those who already know about it.  Anyone casually browsing the Kernow site for interesting locos to buy will be less likely to come across it.  Somebody who Googles "Kernow Class 74' must already know about it - what we need to do is to reach those who don't already know about it.

My mistake - from Dave's comments earlier in this thread I was assuming that Kernow were supportive and actively involved in the project, rather than just being bankers.  I stand corrected.   Are you saying that there is no margin in sales of the class 74 for Kernow at all?

• RMweb Gold

Are you saying that there is no margin in sales of the class 74 for Kernow at all?

Why does there seem to be an obsession from some people to know Dave's business information which is, in general, commercially sensitive? The other day it was a split of costs.

Give him a break.

Roy

Edited by Roy Langridge

As Dave has said in replying on this issue, the Class 74 is a DJM product that is being crowd funded, and as such it is up to DJM to handle all the publicity, etc.

Kernow is merely being kind enough to handle the payment taking/holding of money for the project, and harping on about Kernow not doing enough could simply harm future crowd funded models by convincing Kernow that the benefits of helping aren't worth the hassles.

Don't forget that as with the Class 71, there is one version of the 74 that is wholly Kernows to retail, the weathered version. So it is in their interest to try and sell that version, as it is also a full pre payment in advance purchase. 

Why does there seem to be an obsession from some people to know Dave's business information which is, in general, commercially sensitive? The other day it was a split of costs.

Give him a break.

Roy, you completely missed the point - the question was rhetorical (my apologies if I didn't make that obvious enough).

I am completely supportive of Dave's efforts - my concern was that the representative of Kernow that I spoke to at that particular stand seemed to have a pretty dismissive attitude about this project.  Dave has responded, and has already said he will discuss it with Kernow's boss - so nuff said now IMHO.

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Roy, you completely missed the point - the question was rhetorical (my apologies if I didn't make that obvious enough).

I am completely supportive of Dave's efforts - my concern was that the representative of Kernow that I spoke to at that particular stand seemed to have a pretty dismissive attitude about this project.  Dave has responded, and has already said he will discuss it with Kernow's boss - so nuff said now IMHO.

Fair enough, but to me I didn't see it as rhetorical. Whether Kernow get paid (directly, indirectly or not at all) is a private matter between Dave and Kernow.

To be honest Dave / Rapido / RevolutioN etc, are all interacting with us in a way that we could only dream of 10 years ago. Some posts recently (and I accept yours was not intended that way) seem to take this sharing to mean that they can pry into sensitive information and make assertions as to what information they have the right to know. If it continues this course of action may lead to a reticence in sharing and a return to the dark days.

​Roy

Edited by Roy Langridge
  • Like 1

As for the comments re Kernow, sometimes you get 'staff' working who may not be up to speed on the machinations of the company they work for, and as such give info that may not be from the coal face, as it were. I think this might be the situation here.

Only read these threads for entertainment, but I take a concerned note at the suggestion Kernow Model Railway Centre (KMRC) staff do not know what they are talking about! Every single member of KMRC I have ever spoken with have been passionate about model railways, provide superb service and go above and beyond of that expected from a retailer. They are an outstanding retailer and anything to the contrary merely reflects on the user, in this case you, who has made such a comment.

• RMweb Gold

Only read these threads for entertainment, but I take a concerned note at the suggestion Kernow Model Railway Centre (KMRC) staff do not know what they are talking about! Every single member of KMRC I have ever spoken with have been passionate about model railways, provide superb service and go above and beyond of that expected from a retailer. They are an outstanding retailer and anything to the contrary merely reflects on the user, in this case you, who has made such a comment.

What? Dave is the man building the locos. He is trying to be diplomatic with a member who didn't get the response he expected on the Kernow stand.

I suggest your entertainment be taken a little more seriously.  

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

Spoke to Dave at Fareham show and he confirmed the project is going ahead. Looking like Autumn '18. Great news, keep up the good work Dave.

Brilliant. Many thanks. My sovs have been basking with Kernow for some time now. I hope they have found the 0.5% interest the final impetus. It will be a race to the finish then with the Bachmann 2 HAP.

• 3 weeks later...

I have just noticed the Class 71 listed on the 'well known North West box shifter' website in the new release section.  I thought these were Kernow 'exclusive'. Is there a time limit to exclusivity? Also as this was 'crowd funded' I did not think there would be residual stocks, at least not enough to pass onto other suppliers.

• RMweb Premium

I have just noticed the Class 71 listed on the 'well known North West box shifter' website in the new release section.  I thought these were Kernow 'exclusive'. Is there a time limit to exclusivity? Also as this was 'crowd funded' I did not think there would be residual stocks, at least not enough to pass onto other suppliers.

As I understand it only the weathered models are Kernow MRC exclusives.  The others are nominally available via Kernow MRC because that business acted as banker for the crowd-funding to get them built.  That does not necessarily give exclusive distribution rights.

Some are available from Hattons and some of those are exclusive to that business. 

As Dave has posted on the other thread, these 'cheap' models were ones he had built as spares just in case anybody found their one unsuitable, as very few models have been returned Dave has decided to get rid of these spare locos and recoup his money, nothing sinister in it.

• 1 month later...

Was there any update on the Class 74 development at Warley. I haven't seen anything. This is the oldest outstanding crowd funded project so was hoping the cads would be shown as it's these that Dave hoped would encourage more crowdfunders

Hi mate,

Me too.

I had a space laid on on my back panels for the 74 but China let me down.

The annoying thing is they don’t want to supply it incomplete, but a complete one is no good as no doubt between us all we will need to debug it somewhat.

The mail went in yesterday to the Far East, no reply yet, but i’ll Report back when I know something.

Cheers

Dave

Hi mate,

Me too.

I had a space laid on on my back panels for the 74 but China let me down.

The annoying thing is they don’t want to supply it incomplete, but a complete one is no good as no doubt between us all we will need to debug it somewhat.

The mail went in yesterday to the Far East, no reply yet, but i’ll Report back when I know something.

Cheers

Dave

Does this mean that the tooling is done or were you looking at a 3d printed sample

John