Class 59 in 00

No Decorum

The Dapol class 59 looks like it is going to be a great model. Features such as the smoke unit and opening posable cab doors could give it an edge over the similar Hattons 66.

I wonder if in the future Dapol will modify their tooling to create the 66, and if Hattons modify theirs for the 59. I'm sure both manufactures will be closely watching sales of the other.

The Dapol class 59 looks like it is going to be a great model. Features such as the smoke unit and opening posable cab doors could give it an edge over the similar Hattons 66.

I wonder if in the future Dapol will modify their tooling to create the 66, and if Hattons modify theirs for the 59. I'm sure both manufactures will be closely watching sales of the other.

I think that if they are wise, they will avoid duplication. Duplication is one place where financial losses are to be found.

• Like 1

• 3 months later...

Has anyone heard any updates on this 59, either officially or unofficially...... progress seems to be, er, slow?

The last update was in the summer, with revised engineering prototypes which mainly covered tooling changes to the bogies. The models are stated to have moved to the painting design and layout stage, with Dapol reporting they were working on the painting/printing designs. They hope to have painted samples by the end of the year.

I have just seen the painted examples in Rail Express no.270 and the 59s look great. however please take note of what members of the Dapol digest forum and on here say as the last few models of locos and wagons have been released with inaccuracies (i.e HIA wagon with a white end when it is silver / aluminium).

It maybe that the details are missing but i have noticed the following:
1) the ends steps are still missing (as i pointed out on 1st july on the Dapol digest forum)
2) the horizontal buckeye release bar is missing on the 59/2
3) on the 59/2 the side radiator bars should be black
4) white retaining straps missing on the side fire bottles
5) the nubers on the 59/2 look too large as there is more of a red surround of the numbers to the cast plates edge

regards
Darryl

• RMweb Premium

The models themselves look rather good, if I didn't already have a large fleet of Lima one, which are mostly just for display anyway, then I'd be very tempted with one or two.  A couple more points to follow on from Darryl above, the two things that struck me when I saw the livery samples in REM were that the blue of the National Power loco looks too deep, and the stripes seem too thick - the red and white should be the same, separated by a thinner blue band, with a thicker strip of the light grey along the very bottom of the bodyside.  See here:  http://www.hondawanderer.com/59204_Burton_Salmon_1995.htm

Also the Yeoman version looks a little odd, the logo looks out of proportion and bottom-heavy, the tops of the Y being too short as a result of the top blue band being too narrow, it should go right up to the crease of the roof/top of the cab doors:  http://www.hondawanderer.com/59002_59004_Cranmore_1996.htm

You can't hide from the fact that Dapol do have a history of livery & tooling errors i.e. 73 & 68 (73 yellow ends colour & 68 application) MJA's (Freightliner lamp iron position) to name a couple.

I do love and have purchased their modern image products & hat's off to them the way they corrected the 68 livery issue but they do need to get better or address these issues with future products as it may put people off which would be a shame considering how important they are to the market.

Dapol incase they look on the forum

Ahh right...dumb moment. You'll find it more useful to contact them directly though. I did ask them if they viewed other forums and the response I got was Yes they occasionally do but they'd prefer people contacting them directly via their digest

Ahh right...dumb moment. You'll find it more useful to contact them directly though. I did ask them if they viewed other forums and the response I got was Yes they occasionally do but they'd prefer people contacting them directly via their digest

cheers, i have commented also on the Dapol digest forum on 1st july regarding some of the points i raised but with the latest image releases they still have not rectified the points.

or is best to send a message direct to them on the forum and not post on a feed?

cheers, i have commented also on the Dapol digest forum on 1st july regarding some of the points i raised but with the latest image releases they still have not rectified the points.

or is best to send a message direct to them on the forum and not post on a feed?

If I were you I'd be trying to contact them via as many mediums as I can. I'd normally opt for email, Dapol Digest, PM via Dapol Digest and Facebook. It may seem unnecessary but it's just my thinking i.e. me as a potential customer have done my part in providing Dapol with feedback with the hopes that they've worked on it.

If I were you I'd be trying to contact them via as many mediums as I can. I'd normally opt for email, Dapol Digest, PM via Dapol Digest and Facebook. It may seem unnecessary but it's just my thinking i.e. me as a potential customer have done my part in providing Dapol with feedback with the hopes that they've worked on it.

cheers mate

im really puzzled (and dissapointed) that they arent doing a 59/0 with an origional Yeoman name.....cant understand at all why theyve chose Alan J blah blah....anyone else thinking this or is it just me ?

When does any manufacturer choose the better name, hopefully easy to rename/number.

• RMweb Gold

im really puzzled (and dissapointed) that they arent doing a 59/0 with an origional Yeoman name.....cant understand at all why theyve chose Alan J blah blah....anyone else thinking this or is it just me ?

i’m sure those who must have a 59 will buy one of these, and those who want an original will buy later, and like any Manufacturer, holding back a percieved “must have” until later increases the chance they will buy two.

same reason why they are doing the NP 59/2 with the welsh name when 50% had a yorkshire name. i'm just going to renumber and rename.