Class 59 in 00

No Decorum

• RMweb Premium

1. I was rather hoping that Dapol would figure out a way of re-arranging the front end so that the cowling did not have to be removed completely in order to fit tension lock/Kadee style couplings.  Instead they've simply opted for the same arrangement as Bachmann's 66.  To my eye a 59 or 66 without that front cowling just doesn't look like a 59/66.  Hugely disappointing.

IMO, It has to have a requirement to fit a tension lock (or at least NEM pocket), otherwise, it's a no-go for the UK 00 market.

With a loco this long, the coupling has to pivot from the body or bogie to satisfy the second radius users (again a requirement for the UK market), so you're limited to the Bachmann style fix to accommodate a bogie mounted coupler, or a slotted arrangement similar to the Hornby 60 close coupling mechanism.

At least the 60 and 66 have options to fit full deflectors for those that don't want/need the NEM pocket.

Or you could copy the Hornby 153 and have a swinging deflector mounted from the bogie, with NEM pocket? :no:  :no: :no:  

Cheers,

Mick

• RMweb Gold

I like the Bachmann solution better than putting the skirt in the NEM pocket. I cut a hole in the skirt and can use the NEM pocket through it on my larger radius curves. If they followed the same idea but put the pins almost at the outer edge, further than Bachmann, you can still have a suggestion of the skirt even on sharp radii.

Basic shape looks very good but whats with all the air pipes on the bufferbeam?

Its nice to have some spares but put them in the box not stuck to the front of the model.

Its still a pre-production model......

IMO, It has to have a requirement to fit a tension lock (or at least NEM pocket), otherwise, it's a no-go for the UK 00 market.

With a loco this long, the coupling has to pivot from the body or bogie to satisfy the second radius users (again a requirement for the UK market), so you're limited to the Bachmann style fix to accommodate a bogie mounted coupler, or a slotted arrangement similar to the Hornby 60 close coupling mechanism... 

This highlights that the NEM coupler pocket isn't a solution designed for 4mm. What I have done on my Bach 66 is put one of their EZmates where it should be, in the bufferbeam at matching height to those fitted to the HTA's. Works beautifully, looks right as the airdam and all hoses can be fitted; slightly straightening the trip pins enables them to be actuated on Kadee magnetic uncouplers. A similar arrangement should be possible on a 59 model.

It does look like that, glad not just me that noticed that!

NL

It's not the bogies, if you look at the colour of the plastic it is the sandboxes. And as Dapol have stated this is an EP sample so hopefully if this is incorrect they will correct it.

• 3 months later...

Great....though I must add, you're 3 months late to the part! What you posted is from July 2016. :jester:

I was thinking the same.  I was gonna say if those are new pictures then there's still something about the bogies that doesn't look quite right.

• 2 weeks later...

Have I missed something in this thread?

Shouldn't  4D-005-001 ARC Livery 59 103 read 'Village of Mells'  and not  'Village of Great Elm'.

Have Dapol got the number or name wrong.

No doubt someone will put me right if I've made a mistake.

Cheers D7100.

Have I missed something in this thread?

Shouldn't  4D-005-001 ARC Livery 59 103 read 'Village of Mells'  and not  'Village of Great Elm'.

Have Dapol got the number or name wrong.

No doubt someone will put me right if I've made a mistake.

Cheers D7100.

Very much an error or oversight.

Might be worth mentioning on the Dapol Digest if youve not already done so..

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Is there an estimated timescale for this, as the only wagon they can produce to go with all the 59's is the JHA wagon.

In the summer I am planning on converting a dozen FLHH coal wagons to NP JMA's

regards,

Darryl

Well if you look now DB cargo are using redundant ews coal hoppers for stone traffic now with DB 59s

• RMweb Premium

Is there an estimated timescale for this, as the only wagon they can produce to go with all the 59's is the JHA wagon.

In the summer I am planning on converting a dozen FLHH coal wagons to NP JMA's

regards,

Darryl

The Yeoman JHAs are very different to the ARC/Hanson JHAs mind, so you'd still need more than one. That said, I'd have their arm off if they do a rake of Hanson JHAs with a matching 59! I'd have thought PTAs or something had broader coverage, again except NP.

The most widespread wagon would be the JYA boxes. Built 1988, the cover virtually the entire life of the 59s and serve both quarries. The hoppers tend to only run out of the relevant quarry.

Additionally, the 59/2s can often crop up on engineering jobs (such as the Eastleigh tripper, 6O41/6V41) or as yard pilot at Westbury, so plenty of variety to run them with

Jo

• 1 month later...