Class 59 in 00

No Decorum

I don't have a 59 in my collection so this is going to be my first ... I am hoping its as good as the class 68.

I'm up for more than a handful of 59s, although with Dapol's recent record on the last two locomotives (68 & 73) of livery blunders and assembly issues, I'm not feeling overly confident.  It's a real shame, as they naturally seem to aim to produce some of the key models in the first run, and it's this first batch of virtually any loco they are producing that they seem to 'drop a clanger' on, one way or another.

Which is why I tend to aviod 'first batches' of anything. Its not just Dapol:

Hornby's first batch of MNs suffered from a very poor smokebox door, the Hornby Class 50 first batch had traction tyres(!). Bachmann's first A2s suffered a skewed cab, Bachmann's first 47s had all sorts of issues on window rivets, tanks etc, Hornby's 67s had issues with cracks and QC, Dapols Westerns suffered from over-size surround printing on headcode.....

So its not just Dapol, although not admiting the issues is more of a problem. DapolDave did admit to the issues with the Western Headcode box at an early stage and promised it would be fixed for future batches.

• 2 weeks later...

Chap on Dapol stand told me early 18!

The chap that told me end of 17 was giving a ball park figure, he wouldnt/couldnt say for sure.

What we take from this is the loco is running later than was predicted just a few months ago. We might see it end of this year but in all reality the date will change probably several times over the coming months and maybe it could end up being summer 18!! Lets see....

late 2017?  early 2018?  2020?  I really don't mind when it is... the bigger question is will Dapol manage to get the liveries right? 

How confident am I on a scale from 1 to 10? 

Hmmmm, around "3" perhaps... 

I have to say the 68 is a superb model with the exception of the livery and nameplate problems.

The detail and running qualities are first class.

Hopefully they will learn from their mistakes in terms of the nameplates and the 59 liveries are pretty straight forward so I'm sure there won't be any issues like we've seen on the 68s or 73s.

I'm so looking forward to this much overdue upgrade.

Need the Spearmint liveries in the second run !!

• 1 month later...

I'm interested in getting one - they are pretty common round the Swindon area where I now live.

I'm slightly concerned I won't have much to run behind it though - are there any RTR mendip hoppers planned anywhere ?

• RMweb Gold

I'm interested in getting one - they are pretty common round the Swindon area where I now live.

I'm slightly concerned I won't have much to run behind it though - are there any RTR mendip hoppers planned anywhere ?

I saw a 59 with some silver grey MRL JNAs yesterday Rob. Given that they're similar to the OHS, I'm going to get a few more for Oak Road now I've realised they shouldn't be hard to convert

Edited by scoobyra

Yes ive decided to scratchbuild what I see.. Challenging, time consuming, fun but above all slightly cheaper!!

post-29394-0-30170400-1495918786_thumb.jpg

post-29394-0-85520900-1495918827_thumb.jpg

• Like 3

• RMweb Premium

I saw a 59 with some silver grey MRL JNAs yesterday Rob. Given that they're similar to the OHS, I'm going to get a few more for Oak Road now I've realised they shouldn't be hard to convert

There's a rake at Crawley New Yard at least a couple of times a week. DBS red 59.

OHS ? Errr...