Can you identify these locations?

RRU

• RMweb Gold

The Hall with bent handrails and Hawkesworth tender on the previous page is 4930 Hagley Hall

Here she is after arrival at the Severn Valley

http://www.bing.com/images/search?q=4930+barry&view=detailv2&&id=DAD8DA2B4B30D6B1F27B1C0D5170DA50CCBFB61A&selectedIndex=10&ccid=8EqoCXeJ&simid=608015667319013961&thid=OIP.Mf04aa8097789856bd324c321937612f8o0&ajaxhist=0

Phil

The tour was Leeds to Llandudno, but where are the waterstops?

Peter

It looks like my father stood next to the water crane on the second photo. He and Lord Garnock were friends due to both owning ex LNER locos (both at Neville Hill for a time).

I think it was this trip that Lord G - having been on the loco since lighting up - walked into one of the poshest hotels in Llandudno and said he was Lord Garnock and would they mind if he got a could of hours sleep in one of the chairs in the lounge!

• RMweb Premium

I don't know about the location but the lift looks very much to be either a practice or demonstration rather than the real thing.

Agree.  Locos seldom come off on plain track to the extent that they require a crane.  Pack and jack would be sufficient in many cases.  Could be Toton right at the northern end of the yards.

As usual I'm reacting too late to the Dowty/Ashchurch posts above as this interesting thread has rolled rapidly onwards.

ICI talks of Dowty and the NCB retarders in the Team Valley, but Dowty reatrders were perhaps best known for their computerised application at the short lived hump marshalling yard at Tinsley.

This yard and its automated operation promised so much in the 'White Heat of Technology' of the early 1960s,  though the retarders proved difficult to maintain because of hydraulics oil leakage.

I remember in the BR(E)CCE's  R&D group at KingsX we once had a (pre Beeching) presentation from Dowty about a nationwide waggonload distribution system using track mounted plungers to accelerate/retard waggon wheels as they passed.

Perhaps the ex Dowty member of this Forum could shed more light on this ambitious vision - way back in the punched cards days of data input.

dhig

PS

I've found those images of the dead and dying above most depressing as we have lived thru a shockingly short-sighted ambandonment of our tradional manufacturing base - as compared to Germany.

The interiors of Swindon works were magnificent  - surely such a resource could have been adapted to changing contemporary needs.

ICI talks of Dowty and the NCB retarders in the Team Valley, but Dowty reatrders were perhaps best known for their computerised application at the short lived hump marshalling yard at Tinsley.

This yard and its automated operation promised so much in the 'White Heat of Technology' of the early 1960s,  though the retarders proved difficult to maintain because of hydraulics oil leakage.

I remember in the BR(E)CCE's  R&D group at KingsX we once had a (pre Beeching) presentation from Dowty about a nationwide waggonload distribution system using track mounted plungers to accelerate/retard waggon wheels as they passed.

Perhaps the ex Dowty member of this Forum could shed more light on this ambitious vision - way back in the punched cards days of data input.

dhig

PS

I've found those images of the dead and dying above most depressing as we have lived thru a shockingly short-sighted ambandonment of our tradional manufacturing base - as compared to Germany.

The interiors of Swindon works were magnificent  - surely such a resource could have been adapted to changing contemporary needs.

Here is an official video of Tinsley when new which shows the Dowty retarder plungers at work and also a brief shot of a class 13 shunting.

Peter

I don't think I mentioned the use Dowty retarders at Team Valley. In relation to the NCB I just mentioned Roof Supports. You can see the retarder/accelerators between the nearest track in the pic of Ashchurch I linked to in the above post.

http://www.tewkesbur.../times-gone-by/

You can also hear the racket they made in this film of them in operation at Tinsley. Despite there being many other sources of noise in the area, I bet the locals were never very happy when the Dowty system was in operation.

https://youtu.be/UUguvy54HkE

The "noise" starts at 2m : 40s

My statement may have mislead you a little. The forum member manufactures 4mm scale Dowty and Oleos buffers. It was his old man that had the company links.

Porcy

Bit of a simultaneous cross posting there.

Thanks to everyone who replied to the crane pics.

The replies to my posts in this thread goes to show what a wealth of knowledge there is on this forum. Nearly every photo has been identified so far.

Archived