R3267XS Class 60 005 Transrail Triple Grey

richierich

Totally agree with you here Rob d2. Would love a standard Transrail 60 but I dont have Dcc and don't want sound. Unfortunate.

can you buy one and sell the chip? sound chips tend to go for good money or speak to a local friendly model shop and see if they'd sell one without the dcc sound

I guess you could do, but it's unwanted hassle ....

That KMRC picture makes me think the upper grey and roof may be the same colour...hmmmm.

Every bachy and Hornby release always has the upper grey looking too dark to my eyes, but I guess ex works it is that colour.

But.....if a 3 TG 60 was pained in say, 1991, then got transrail decals in 94, it would be decals over a faded finish surely ?

Thus would a 60 have every really looked like this ?

• RMweb Premium

Lovely model but way out of my price range, I can't afford box-fresh models these days!

All's not lost though, it's amazing with the Hornby '60' but with persistence you can actually still find good deals at shows on the original releases, got several of the 2006 Mainline grey Canisp's for good prices, £60 for a '60' is my target price, slap of Rail Grey and you've got the makings of a Transrail loco! :)

I keep looking for a R2577 Mainline Triple grey, but not seen one for ages at a show or toy& train fair.

• RMweb Premium

I keep looking for a R2577 Mainline Triple grey, but not seen one for ages at a show or toy& train fair.

Aww no, maybe it's just luck but I've got four of them now, all picked up from club stands and exhibitions or the little local swap/tat meets!! I've always noticed a big difference between the prices on eBay and the prices 'on the street' at shows, plus you can't beat physically digging your bargain out from under a mountain of other boxes!

I'd be interested in seeing it in the flesh when you get it 37260,

Can you post pics ? Please

Shades of Grey: Yes the roof is a different shade of Grey to the upper bodyside band, but it's very close, and depending how the light catches it, difficult to capture with the camera - especially as it's like "Gloomy Hollow" outside !

Otherwise the model is very well finished etc.  One issue. straight out of the box - NO lights at one end, but I suspect it's the body/chassis contacts, which should be easy to sort out.

Edit: Lights now sorted ! 2 min job

post-2215-0-57265900-1446739657_thumb.jpg

post-2215-0-51343700-1446739698_thumb.jpg

post-2215-0-60313300-1446739729_thumb.jpg

post-2215-0-03660200-1446739829_thumb.jpg

post-2215-0-49895600-1446739929_thumb.jpg

thanks for the pictures. i have to admit, it is still hard to tell if they got it right or not !

in the last 2 pictures above it looks better, better than the 3rd to last one (with the Transrail logos) - i agree it could just be the light.  In fact in the real life photo posted earlier of 60005 stood in front of the Motherwell tractor, the upper band looks also to be too dark.

Any thoughts on the sound yet ?  I am not a fan of SWD's sound files however I did think the sound on the  previously released sound fitted 60s were pretty good (once the speaker was suitably sealed).

thanks for the pictures. i have to admit, it is still hard to tell if they got it right or not !

>> The upper body band Grey is too dark, on real locos it's Flint Grey - which is a lighter shade of Grey than Hornby have used.  Most Hornby 3T Grey R/F locos have the same issue,  Lima/Vi Trains locos have more accurate shades.

in the last 2 pictures above it looks better, better than the 3rd to last one (with the Transrail logos) - i agree it could just be the light.  In fact in the real life photo posted earlier of 60005 stood in front of the Motherwell tractor, the upper band looks also to be too dark.

>> I tried with difficulty using a camera to show the 2 shades of Grey, in some of the photos it could almost be a different loco !!

Any thoughts on the sound yet ?  I am not a fan of SWD's sound files however I did think the sound on the  previously released sound fitted 60s were pretty good (once the speaker was suitably sealed).

>> Em not that familiar with how real 60's sound , but it does sound a bit on the "tinny" side, there's also no auto brake dump on take off, or brakes on when stopping !  no worries -  It's getting removed for a reblow !

For comparision a Dapol 56 I re-painted some time back, using Precision Paints, you'll note the upper body band is lighter than on the new 60, especially compared to the roof.

Regards

Ken

post-2215-0-90091700-1446747674_thumb.jpg

post-2215-0-68032600-1446747713_thumb.jpg

• RMweb Premium

.  One issue. straight out of the box - NO lights at one end, but I suspect it's the body/chassis contacts, which should be easy to sort out.

Edit: Lights now sorted ! 2 min job

Wasn't the previous 60 - DBS red 60007 wired with a plug/socket  to the cab? Edit - yes it was.

Have they gone back to contacts?

Cheers,

Mick

• RMweb Premium

Yes New Transrail 60 has 4 x brass contact strips on cab insert bases

Such a shame. The plug arrangement is far more positive than the contact strips. My NMT HST has the contact strips and the rear lights in the power car are very temperamental. The plug arrangement on my R3271 Executive HST is much better however.

• RMweb Premium

Wasn't the previous 60 - DBS red 60007 wired with a plug/socket  to the cab? Edit - yes it was.

Have they gone back to contacts?

Cheers,

Mick

But Hornby DCC Sound models are 21 pin circuit boards. Whereas non-DCC so far have been 8 pin circuit boards. So maybe only the non-DCC sound 60's use the arrangement seen on the R3150 DBS 60 007?

I am pleased that Hornby have reverted back the contact strips in some ways because It makes it easier to fit drivers into the cab. As my 60007 was a pain to do with those wires taped into the roof and taking care not to rip them off when removing the cab module to fit a driver into the model :). Having banana fingers doesn't exactly help matters either :sarcastichand: .

• 2 weeks later...

Perfect!

I am glad they have painted the buffers :).

As well as being painted black, the latest design allows the buffers to droop to odd angles ! They are now similar to class 50/56 buffers where a tiny C clip retains the shank/spring in the housing.  On the original 60 version, the buffer shank had a splined ridge, the shank end being crimped to retain it,  this stopped any droop to odd angles happening.

post-2215-0-48173600-1448299856_thumb.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

My long-awaited 60090 in coal sector livery arrived today.  I'm sure it's not supposed to look like this...!?  :scratchhead:

post-5822-0-55001900-1449101423_thumb.jpg

post-5822-0-10646700-1449101459_thumb.jpg

post-5822-0-43683900-1449101461_thumb.jpg

Not to mention smaller, but nevertheless equally niggling defects such as misaligned buffers, detailing parts absent (handrails etc) and windscreen wipers mysteriously pointing skyward...

post-5822-0-50391700-1449101463_thumb.jpg

I'm not sure where Hornby quality control were when this one left the production line... clearly fast asleep at a wild guess?!  This must have left the factory in this state as there was no damage to any of the packaging whatsoever and arrived superbly packaged courtesy of the retailer.  Come on Hornby, we understand the reasons why prices have risen in recent times, but if we are paying £140 for a model at least supply it in one piece.  :banghead:

Archived