Bill and Jason's Excellent UK Adventure - 2015

rapidotrains

Hi guys,

Here are the places we are planning to spend more than a very short amount of time:

Fort William

Inverness

Wick

Carlisle

Barrow-in-Furness

If anyone would like to meet with us in these places, please send me or Bill a message. We can meet for a drink, talk trains, and I can convince you to become a fan of the Montreal Canadiens ice hockey team.  ;)

Let me know!

-Jason

• RMweb Premium

Hi guys,

Here are the places we are planning to spend more than a very short amount of time:

Barrow-in-Furness

Noooooooooooooooo.

Last time I was there, it lasted about 6 minutes. (As long as it took to cross over the 37 hauled services................)

Cheers,

Mick

:jester:

Noooooooooooooooo.

Cheers,

Mick

:jester:

I was going to comment but then retracted it. My wife and I, honeymooning in the Lake District in 1972, accidentally found ourselves in Barrow one day. Had never been there before. It was bleak, windy and raining. We moved on to Whitehaven.......

I suggest you try arranging a visit to TeleRail, on the island platform at Carnforth. They produce some excellent DVDs - steam archive and modern. They may well have some coverage of anything that you are researching in that part of the UK. particularly as they've done work for DRS and BNFL. (CJL)

Hi guys,

Fort William

Inverness

Wick

Carlisle

Barrow-in-Furness

If anyone would like to meet with us in these places, please send me or Bill a message. We can meet for a drink, talk trains, and I can convince you to become a fan of the Montreal Canadiens ice hockey team.  ;)

Let me know!

-Jason

A bit out of the way for me (London). You don't need to convince me to be a Habs fan though.

• RMweb Gold

Hi guys,

Fort William

Inverness

Wick

Carlisle

Barrow-in-Furness

Let me know!

-Jason

Good beer in the Duke of Edinburgh almost opposite Barrow station - our favourite watering hole when we do the Barrow exhibition most years (October time) and if you do get off at Carnforth theres a great little micropub (not open Mondays) in the main building alongside the now removed mainline platforms

• Administrators

If you are going to Wick, you can do Thurso in the same day. Might as well visit the most northerly station in the UK.

http://travellingphilbury.blogspot.co.uk/2008/05/scotland-day-4-thurso-and-wick.html

7 years ago, Thurso even had a model shop:

http://philsworkbench.blogspot.co.uk/2008/05/durrans-model-shop-thurso.html

I wonder if it still there? You could drop off the first APT be sold for collection in person only...

• RMweb Premium

Durrans is still there. Not sure he'll be after an APT-E mind, something more, lets say, Highland would be appropriate I think. Maybe something Ben like.........

Andy G

• RMweb Premium

From talking to a friend who finally made the far north this year, I think you have a choice of taking the train to Thurso or waiting on the platform at the junction for it to go and come back.

• RMweb Gold

We leave on Wednesday for our Excellent UK Adventure.

Air Canada's one suitcase limit is making things considerably difficult for Bill and me to pack. We've just read the weather forecast for Scotland, so we're packing accordingly.

-Jason

78883.jpg

Jason & Bill, I'm reminded of an old British saying;  "there's no such thing as bad weather, only inappropriate clothing".

• Administrators

Durrans is still there. Not sure he'll be after an APT-E mind, something more, lets say, Highland would be appropriate I think. Maybe something Ben like.........

Andy G

But can you imagine the froth if he had the ONLY APT-E in the country on sale, and refused to post it out... :-)

• RMweb Premium

Ah, tis just another distillery. Why not visit Thurso and sit in a pub with proper real ales... Oh I remember, those the other side of the pond can't drink real beer....

I'm lead to believe that there is a very good pub in Thurso, and you never know who you might run into.......

Andy G

Ah, tis just another distillery. Why not visit Thurso and sit in a pub with proper real ales... Oh I remember, those the other side of the pond can't drink real beer....

I'm lead to believe that there is a very good pub in Thurso, and you never know who you might run into.......

Andy G

Ahem, careful what you say, those of us who are denizens of the northern part of the continent might take umbrage.

Cheers,

David

Nor me- as alas, I grew up in Toronto in the 80's, so the leaf's were...um, my sister's team was probably better than them, and also played @ the Gardens.  

James

The Leafs. Ballard. I saw their last Cup when I was a kid. Hard to believe it's been 48 years. Also hard to accept it's nearly 25 years for the Habs.

We leave on Wednesday for our Excellent UK Adventure.

Air Canada's one suitcase limit is making things considerably difficult for Bill and me to pack. We've just read the weather forecast for Scotland, so we're packing accordingly.

-Jason

78883.jpg

You're Canadian Jason. Just pop into the nearest MEC and get the appropriate kit. Of course, TO is almost tropical compared to the RoC.

Andy G

Andy,

As a Real Ale fan I take great offence to your comment!!!  :angry:  :angry:  :angry:  :angry:  :angry:

Whilst Jason is pickling himself with various forms of fine whiskys (of which I may indeed imbibe a few...), I will be enjoying all the Real Ale that I can get.... even warm and with various forms of pond life in it! :>) 

So, redeem yourself with some good Real Ale recommendations for the area!  ;)

Bill (the Yank who can - and does - drink real beer)

Rapido Trains

• RMweb Gold

Andy,

As a Real Ale fan I take great offence to your comment!!!  :angry:  :angry:  :angry:  :angry:  :angry:

Whilst Jason is pickling himself with various forms of fine whiskeys (of which I may indeed imbibe a few...), I will be enjoying all the Real Ale that I can get.... even warm and with various forms of pond life in it! :>) 

So, redeem yourself with some good Real Ale recommendations for the area!  ;)

Bill (the Yank who can - and does - drink real beer)

Rapido Trains

Is Jason going to Ireland then?

Archived