Q6

NHY 581

• RMweb Gold

It appears that Hornby are doing a Q6 0.8.0.

CAD images in new releases for 2016. Also doing a B12.

Rob

• Like 4

Really pleased Hornby have finally looked at the NER. I'm sure they will sell out. Bring on the North east haters!! Just disappointed they have done one over DJModels again and there is plenty of other locomotive classes that could have been looked at. Hope someone announces the J27 next!

• Like 1

On the Engine Shed release that covers this release, they show a still from a video taken in April 2015 according to Hornby, of the Q6 and title the still as a stereo copy, which is a 3D print, however further on in the release they show the Q6 in decoration samples with LNER and late BR liveries, which are clearly photos of decorated models from the tooling, so I would say the model is well advanced and nearly ready for production. Almost certainly Hornby started work on this 12-18 months before the April 2015 video, as by then they would have had to complete research and produce the Cads for the 3D print to be produced. I think it highly likely, but unfortunate, that they were working on this model just before DJ. Nobody's fault,unfortunately a result of competition and the picking of high placed poll prototypes.

• Like 1

On the Engine Shed release that covers this release, they show a still from a video taken in April 2015 according to Hornby, of the Q6 and title the still as a stereo copy, which is a 3D print, however further on in the release they show the Q6 in decoration samples with LNER and late BR liveries, which are clearly photos of decorated models from the tooling, so I would say the model is well advanced and nearly ready for production. Almost certainly Hornby started work on this 12-18 months before the April 2015 video, as by then they would have had to complete research and produce the Cads for the 3D print to be produced. I think it highly likely, but unfortunate, that they were working on this model just before DJ. Nobody's fault,unfortunately a result of competition and the picking of high placed poll prototypes.

Yes, I'd think the poll is to blame

• RMweb Gold

Really pleased Hornby have finally looked at the NER. I'm sure they will sell out. Bring on the North east haters!! Just disappointed they have done one over DJModels again and there is plenty of other locomotive classes that could have been looked at. Hope someone announces the J27 next!

I have reason to doubt that DJM have been "done over" on this.I have just had a conversation with Bill on the Hornby stand.He is the R&D person responsible for the model.Without my having to ask,he told me he was working on it prior to the DJM announcement last year.

• Like 1

I'm more than surprised that the Q6 has been announced by Hornby. 

While some might be thinking that its duplication, I have to think that it must be a case of this project was too far started and kept very quiet for it to be anything other than continued. The samples look very good and overall I'm pleased. While I think the model will be a good seller, I have to question if duplication will factor into the models selling in terms of statistics. However, this I think would be the case for any other model that is duplicated and I think that the Radial tank will be much the same. It wont stop detractors mentioning this and using it as an excuse to think that companies should focus on certain areas of types, but as engines are selected and pregrouping engines become the next best regarded option such a duplication on this point was expected at some time. As it happens it seems to have been Q6. However, Hornby are duplicating with the King, Radial tank, class 71 and now Q6. Getting a quality product to market will prove to be crucial, and as Hornby aim to be first they are the ones best placed to tap into the demand for this that is built up in expectation. 

Hornby should be congratulated for the speed in which this seems to be developing, while the company is also being able to meet targets and deliveries more compared with competition. I have no doubt that the Hornby Q6 will be with us soon, while some might still want the DJM option, it means choice for a model few expected would have been announced a few years ago.

I also believe it shows agreement on the fact that the north does hold potential for a range to be developed, with not one, but two companies choosing to make models for the area. This I'm pleased with as it subscribes to an idea that I and many others have had for some time. I look forward to other prototypes in the years to come that match such a decision, the obvious ones being J26/27 and J25/J21 as well as B16 and G5, especially as Hornby normally does develop a range, so hope it mirrors the selection of that to which the GE have been fortunate to receive. 

Its a welcome surprise, but bodes well too for an interesting future. Congratulations Hornby... 

Edited by The Black Hat
  • Like 2

I have reason to doubt that DJM have been "done over" on this.I have just had a conversation with Bill on the Hornby stand.He is the R&D person responsible for the model.Without my having to ask,he told me he was working on it prior to the DJM announcement last year.

Sorry Ian.Would this be the same Hornby R&D, who 2 or 3 years ago showed us pics of an LMS CCT and a BR fish van. Then produced 2 completely different vans...

Mike

Sorry Ian.Would this be the same Hornby R&D, who 2 or 3 years ago showed us pics of an LMS CCT and a BR fish van. Then produced 2 completely different vans...

Mike

Just one question.... what were the 2 completely different vans?

Isn't this the LMS CCT? http://www.Hornby.com/uk-en/lms-4-wheel-cct-van.html

And this the FISH VAN? http://www.Hornby.com/uk-en/br-blue-spot-fish-van-e87085.html

• RMweb Gold

Pleased about the forthcoming Q6, but sad for DJM.

Regards,

Rob.

I don't think that there's much of a conflict between the Hornby and DJ/Hattons Kings. The DJ one will be a higher spec limited edition which sells to what you could call the 'cognoscenti'. The Hornby one is a slightly lower spec, mass market model which will probably be around for years. No problem there that I can see. The duplication of the T2 is much harder to justify.

And the late crest loco has electrification flashes factory fitted (at last) !!!!

Nice loco. Hope they put plenty of weight in it for haulage.

Edited to add. I know they worked around Leeds / Normanton, but how far south did these locos get in their everyday lives ? Did they get to Sheffield / Chesterfield , North Notts  areas at all ?

Brit15

Edited by APOLLO

We've had our hands on it today and it looks excellent. Due mid-2016.

...and looking at other phots being bandied about the web, two different smokebox doors to be offered, at least two different chimney variations and different tenders.

Just needs DJM to do a sandwich buffer beam and alternate boiler and the jobs a good-un.

P

...for a decent NER model...its been like waiting for a bus.

Ahem!

Should that not read, "for a decent RTR NER model...its been like waiting for a bus."

and a Gillet & Baker bus at that.

Edited by Porcy Mane