Q6

NHY 581

Still think the J21 and J25 combination idea is the other no brainer. Very few detail differences between the two and an awful lot of shared parts. Two models for one really... 

Agreed with that, In my very humble opinion the J21 would seem to be the obvious choice if Hornby were (hypothetically of course) progress with more than one NER prototype over the near future. Plus from a purely selfish perspective I prefer them to the J27! 

Edited by south_tyne

Guest G567281

Getting back to the Hornby Q6.

These loco's were allocated BR numbers 63340 to 63459 all of which carried the Diagram 50A boiler at sometime during their BR existence.  The renumbering of the NER built locos by the LNER in 1946 and that of British Railways appears to be consecutive based on the dates built.

The first fifty loco's were built with Sandwich type front buffer beams, the remainder had the single plate buffer beam as per the Hornby sample loco's.  However, for those contemplating renumbering, one or two of the earlier batch did receive a single plate front buffer beam under BR. 63364 for example with 50A boiler and no windjammer on the chimney.

• 2 weeks later...

Bye, your'e posh.  :smile_mini2:

No need to.

Gordon Reed (51F' boilersmith at the time of Q6's) told me himself and my mates (also an RM web member ) grandfather was 51F foreman.

Here's a pic of Mr Reeds handywork standing next to Faith Hope & Charity.

attachicon.gif63459-FH+C.jpg

P

Edit: A few pics of Mr Reeds darts in the photos on this page including a 51F J39. (and Mr F you may also be interested in the Ammonia Tanks etc behind a J39).

http://www.lner.info/forums/viewtopic.php?f=15&t=10029&start=15

As my name suggests I am originally from just along the line from there and we pronounced it Tindl

As my name suggests I am originally from just along the line from there and we pronounced it Tindl

Would that be with a soft L or a hard L?

Typical Shildon. Never could tark propper.

I'll go with me old mate, Lol's pronunciation ta very much. He was born in Tindale, lives in Tindale, spent most of his life casting railway sleepers in Tindale, spends a good deal of his social life in Tindale Club, (apart from taking steam on a Monday night) has run most of the local football teams and has never watched an Australian soap.

Yep, I'll go with his pronunciation. :smile_mini2:

P

Edited by Porcy Mane

Nothing like Summer bay having a Crocodile attack taking out a main character... :jester:

Has it come to that. More chance of that happening than the alien abduction in Dallas. Good ol Aussie script writers going for gritty realism.  :smile_mini2:

P

Hey Porcy it isn't that far from the truth with the Global warming the crocs are moving south. In a bit the same way:-

In the Northern Territory, a tourist in their bathers and a towel,  asks a local looking out at a beautiful near empty beach  :

"Are there any sharks in this  water?"

"Nahh, mate, the crocs ate them all."

I believe Crocs may have been seen on odd occasions south of or around Cairns. No doubt some one else may mention this! 

Well we're starting to see sharks regularly of Tynemouth. Only two frosts so far this winter. Were will it all end. I can see the headlines now, "Giant Squid squirts ink at Tyne Valley Salmon Fisherman".

Oh no. That's were it will end. A mod popping up and telling us to get back on topic. Q6's ran along the Tyne Valley.

P

Well we're starting to see sharks regularly of Tynemouth. Only two frosts so far this winter. Were will it all end. I can see the headlines now, "Giant Squid squirts ink at Tyne Valley Salmon Fisherman".

Oh no. That's were it will end. A mod popping up and telling us to get back on topic. Q6's ran along the Tyne Valley.

P

Sharks off Tynemouth?! Whatever next. Two days before Christmas and so far today I have seen daisies springing out of lawns and a Red Admiral in all its glory fluttering about my back door. We've had NO frosts down in Kent. Not even got the central heating on.

Q6... wasn't that an ugly copy of the Robinson Q4..? ;-)

Sharks off Tynemouth?! Whatever next. Two days before Christmas and so far today I have seen daisies springing out of lawns and a Red Admiral in all its glory fluttering about my back door. We've had NO frosts down in Kent. Not even got the central heating on.

Ugly? Oh dear… oh dear oh dear… ;)

Spot on. Raven looked at the Q4, decided most of it was cosmetic additions and superfluous to requirements, designed a much more functional beast that (if it were not for the intervention of the WWII shindig) would have outlived the Q4 by some 30 years. In the event they give a 17 years beyond the cosmetically superior Robinson thingy. :blum_mini:

Seriously though, I wonder which of the pre grouping 0-8-0 tender loco's would have proved the better if put up against each other on the West East Durham Hills?

Spot on. Raven looked at the Q4, decided most of it was cosmetic additions and superfluous to requirements, designed a much more functional beast that (if it were not for the intervention of the WWII shindig) would have outlived the Q4 by some 30 years. In the event they give a 17 years beyond the cosmetically superior Robinson thingy. :blum_mini:

Seriously though, I wonder which of the pre grouping 0-8-0 tender loco's would have proved the better if put up against each other on the West East Durham Hills?

That would be great, I agree. I'd have loved to have seen any 0-8-0s hard at work with loose-coupled wagons in the Durham hills... sadly a sight we shall never see again, I doubt we'd get a dirty great big period loose-coupled train past Network Rail these days. And all the rails are continuous welded lengths now - no proper sound track.

I think the thing was about Q6s was the North Eastern cab... it looks a bit dolls-house like. I keep thinking that an Edwardian lady will appear in the dainty side windows busy hanging up net curtains. Whereas of course on the Q4 you had no windows. In other words, GC cabs must be for real men. That was all I was thinking... ;-)

There's some great information on the preserved Q6 here if anyone's not seen it - http://www.nelpg.org.uk/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=19&Itemid=6

Apparently the NYMR does have a freight train and the curves and gradients that Q6s worked over too... so this is afterall a sight we may see again. Of course, to get a realistic reproduction of the classic Q4 experience it would be best to be on the footplate as the thing stalled and restarted deep inside old Woodhead Tunnel with 60 odd loose coupled wagons behind... thankfully I'm more certain that this will never happen again...!

...Seriously though, I wonder which of the pre grouping 0-8-0 tender loco's would have proved the better if put up against each other on the West East Durham Hills?

I don't think there is any doubt about that, thanks to a convenient trial.

NER T3, LNER Q7. It easily beat the 28XX when trialled by the NBR in 1921. The 28XX slipped to a stand on the bank with a near 700 ton load, and could not restart. The T3 took 750 tons up untroubled, and "could have done more". In later years they were held to perform as well as the 9F for starting the Tyne Dock to Annesley hauls. Slower than the 9F on the run, but no less reliable in maintaining pressure and traction to complete the turn.

I don't think there is any doubt about that, thanks to a convenient trial.

I wondered if anyone would rise to the bait.   :wink_mini:

Pretty conclusive then. The NER produced a fine 0-8-0.

Ppost-508-0-95198000-1450963136.png

Edited by Porcy Mane
  • Like 1

• 4 weeks later...
  • RMweb Premium

The sole preserved Q6 in either of its identities - NER class T2 No.2238 or BR Q6 No.63395 is owned by the independent volunteer based 'North Eastern Locomotive Preservation Group' (NELPG) and does not come under the auspices of the NRM at any of its locations, so a NRM special/exclusive would not be a probability unless some form of co-operative marketing arrangement could be arrived at.

NELPG, which also owns the preserved examples of classes K1, J27 and J72, celebrates the 50th anniversary of its founding this year.

The NRM does however own The NER Class T3 or BR Class Q7, which I believe is currently cosmetically restored and on display at the 'Head Of Steam' museum Darlington.

Regards,

John

Edited by Brit70053

BR Class Q7, which I believe is currently cosmetically restored and on display at the 'Head Of Steam' museum Darlington.

A bit like the big un in this pic.

post-508-0-22927600-1453153592.jpg

Or a bit like the little un in this pic.

The only locomotive to have had a model Railway exhibition inside it. (Probably?)

post-508-0-35382400-1453154526.jpg

Darlington Model railway club Exhibition @ "Head of Steam" 2015.

Edited by Porcy Mane
  • Like 10

A bit like the big un in this pic.

attachicon.gifQ6-7WannieRdEditSm.jpg

Or a bit like the little un in this pic.

The only locomotive to have had a model Railway exhibition inside it. (Probably?)

attachicon.gifQ7onaQ7sm-2.jpg

Darlington Model railway club Exhibition @ "Head of Steam" 2015.

Porcy,

Were you at the Darlington Exhibition, then?

I enjoyed it - small, but perfectly formed (the exhibition, not me) - even got a brief operating stint on Wansbeck Road (the 2mm layout pictured with the Q7, built by Mick Simpson).

Regards,

Roy

Were you at the Darlington Exhibition, then?

Was I at the Darlington exhibition???  I was the Darlington Exhibition(ist)

Nah. To be serious I was there all weekend. Mostly in the cab, hindering things by driving the model of a Q7 in a Q7. The rest of my weekend I spent either annoying Mick or becoming stranded on the top of the Presflo.

This thread may explain things:

http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/97233-darlington-exhibition-remember-us/&do=findComment&comment=2008992

P

Wish I'd been there to see that!

There was two youths who witnessed the debacle.

Fortunately, for me, they didn't appear to have mobile phones so no embarrassing appearance on Youtube. A bit of a realisation for me Pete, how hard this bl**dy disease has hit me. It was only about eleven years ago I was clambering up the side of mountains using bits of old rope and stainless steel.

But all's well with the world. I still have my toy trains. :smile_mini:

P

Edited by Porcy Mane