Q6

NHY 581

• RMweb Premium

Maybe Dave Jones will update us once he has gathered his thoughts but I heard one retailer who had apparently taken some pre-orders for DJM's Q6 that he didn't think it would go ahead as as far as he knew work on it wasn't very far advanced.

He seemed to be suggesting that Hornby's was already well underway when DJM announced theirs.

Mind you it's only hearsay!

Keith

I must admit to being utterly blown away by Hornby's announcement yesterday, I was at the stand when the catalogue was unboxed and at first I was struggling to comprehend what my eyes were seeing! I popped back later when the crowds had died down and had a good look at the samples, which weren't there previously.

They look absolutely gorgeous! The railed NER tender especially caught my attention, looking very fine and intricately moulded.

Of course some further investigation will have to be done to work out of any of the three announced will be able to be renumbered as 63395.

The word on the stand was that they are amliming for a May/June release, and judging by the apparent completeness of the display samples, I can well believe that, all being well!

As Mark has said above, hopefully this will lead to some wooden hoppers to accompany the steel ones already announced!

Cheers

J

Guest G567281

I must admit to being utterly blown away by Hornby's announcement yesterday, I was at the stand when the catalogue was unboxed and at first I was struggling to comprehend what my eyes were seeing! I popped back later when the crowds had died down and had a good look at the samples, which weren't there previously.

They look absolutely gorgeous! The railed NER tender especially caught my attention, looking very fine and intricately moulded.

Of course some further investigation will have to be done to work out of any of the three announced will be able to be renumbered as 63395.

The word on the stand was that they are amliming for a May/June release, and judging by the apparenkt completeness of the display samples, I can well believe that, all being well!

As Mark has said above, hopefully this will lead to some wooden hoppers to accompany the steel ones already announced!

Cheers

J

You should be able to re-number one of the models with the earlier crest, as Q6 63395 ran for a period in the 1950's with one of these original tenders, but do check the boiler type also. If you want to do it as preserved you will need the DJM model. Edited by G567281

Guest G567281

You should be able to re-number one of the models with the earlier crest, as Q6 63395 ran for a period in the 1950's with one of these original tenders, but do check the boiler type also. If you want to do it as preserved you will need the DJM model.

By original tender, I mean a 1913 built 3,940 gallon tender, not self trimming type. The frames of which have small semi circular slots at each end near the footsteps. As per the Hornby model.

I'm sure Hornby will not me mind me using their images  to try and display what some of the differences may be on the up & coming models.

post-508-0-30269100-1448836451.gif

P

Edited by Porcy Mane
  • Like 15

Guest G567281

I'm sure Hornby will not me mind me using their images  to try and display what some of the differences may be on the up & coming models.

attachicon.gifHby-Q6-1_2-2.gif

P

I have just caught up with the pic's of 63443 thanks to yourself and those wonderful people kind enough to post their photographs.

Nice to be getting the 4125 gallon tender. Are the chimney and flatter smoke box door from the LNER version ?. Kindest regards.

Are the chimney and flatter smoke box door from the LNER version ?.

I've no idea. The two images were published on yesterdays Hornby website and may not be representative. I just animated them to show differences. I have been told there are some decent images of all three versions of the Hornby Q6 display at Warley on facebook but as I don't do facebook I haven't seen them.

As the display models would appear to be pre production samples I'd err on the side of caution as to what differences individual models will have until something official is announced.

P

Edited by Porcy Mane

Guest G567281

I've no idea. The two images were published on yesterdays Hornby website and may not be representative. I just animated them to show differences. I have been told there are some decent images of all three versions of the Hornby Q6 display at Warley on facebook but as I don't do facebook I haven't seen them.

As the display models would appear to be pre production samples I'd err on the side of caution as to what differences individual models will have until something official is announced.

P

Hi P,

Points noted. I have since seen a pic of all three models and the LNER version is shown with the flatter smokebox door and without the capuchin on the chimney. It also has the 3940 gallon tender.

Interesting times.

The lack of a capuchon (or windjabber) is a potential mistake.  All had them, and all regained them at each overhaul.  The only time they ran without was when the windjabber corroded away between works visits- and that usually left a messy edge to the chimney.

Les

Porcy's composite leaves me wondering if the tender for the DJM Q6 might be missing from the list.....

My typo- capuchin should be capuchon, of course.  I wonder if they were known as windjabbers because enginemen could neither pronounce it nor spell it?

On tenders.  The two in the composite are a 3940 gallon with D-shaped slots (Q5-type tender also attached to the first Q6s when new) and a 4125 gallon with the later oval frame slots and plated coal rails sloping down at both ends.  The DJM tender is an early 4125-gallon with D-shaped slots and coal rails going all round the bunker.  It is visually a bit similar to the 3940-gallon type but the box is taller and wider.  Many of these tenders were transferred from Atlantics when the latter were given newer self-trimming tenders.

Basically Hornby and DJM between them give three of the six tenders that ran behind the Q6. 

The question is, Has Hornby used slides for the coal rails that would allow the version with the coal rails chopped off at the back of the bunker to be included?  If not it should be a simple scalpel job to make it.

Les

Edited by Les1952

...The question is, Has Hornby used slides for the coal rails that would allow the version with the coal rails chopped off at the back of the bunker to be included?  If not it should be a simple scalpel job to make it.

Further interesting thought following on from this on the tender. With the tender CAD available, and Hornby already having a B17, will they someday think to ring the changes with a B2 that had an NER design tender?

• Like 1

Is there a picture comparison somewhere of all six different tenders (or list similar to the above) that someone can point us to? I was thinking of a possible renumber and it might be handy for others to check the tender type too before buying. I know there was a detailed table changing hands on the DJM Q6 thread a while ago but a simple layman's list of things to look out for would be good. For example what did self trimming tenders do?

Or Les, could you expand on your helpful above description to outline the differences between all six?

Roy Marshall has the best list of the different types and is best placed to describe them.  A brief summary, the type letters were given by Roy and are not official.

• Type A.  3940 gallon with D-shaped frame slots between the axleboxes, and between the axleboxes and tender frame ends. and coal rails going right round the outside of the box.  Same type as on Q5.  You can tell these as the top of the coal rails does not reach the top of the cab windows.
  • Type B.   4125 gallon tender with D-shaped slots and coal rails as type A.  On these the top of the coal rails is at the same level as the top of the cab sides.  They are also wider in the box than type A by 6 inches.
  • Type C     4125 gallon tender with two oval frame slots, only between the axleboxes.  Box is the same height and width as type B, with coal rails going right round.  Coal space may be shorter (I've not seen a measurement). 
  • Type D.   4125 gallon tender, self-trimming coal space.  D shaped slots.  The coal rails are plated behind and curved downwards at the front of the coal space, but cut off vertically at the back. 
  • Type E.   4125 gallon tender.  As type D but the coal rails are extended down in a curve at the rear to march the front.
  • oddity 1   one tender rebuilt with a new box to outwardly resemble a Group Standar tender with slab sides.  Looks like a later J39 tender.   Passed around several different engines but easily distinguishable
  • oddity 2   At least one 3940 gallon tender rebuilt at unknown date (after 1959?) with a 4125 gallon box.  This tender started off on a Q5 and passed to Q6 at the turn of the fifties when Q5s were scrappd.  Date of rebuilding not known.  THIS ONE is the tender preserved with 63395.  There seems to be no record of the rebuild, which is probably just listed as a repair.   Certainly 63395's tender is not what it claims to be on paper, even though its number is still there.

Hopefully this will help.  You can tell types A to E and Oddity 1 just by looking at photos.  Oddity 2 is more difficult and may not be the only one of its type.

Hornby 63429 has a type A tender, as does the LNER one.  63443 has type D.  I selected all of the numbers for DJM with the criterion of all having the same tender, a type B (or oddity 2 which seems identical).

Les

Edited by Les1952

Basically if there are 4 slots in the frame with the centre pair D-shaped then that tender is a type A or type B.

If there are two D-shaped oval slots in the tender frame it is type C,D or E.  63443 has plated coal rails swept down at both ends so is a Type E.  Type C has them carried right round the back, open outside the coal space.  Type D has the coal rails plated and cut off vertically at the back of the coal space.

Self-trimming tenders have the sides and bottom of the coal space angled to shake the coal forwards as the tender jolts along the track.  Only really visible when the tender is empty.

Hope this helps.

Les

Edited by Les1952