Q6

NHY 581

Hi. I feel a little concerned that the Q6, excellent though the model is, might not be selling as well as hoped for. I know that there is the Adams radial and HST 40th anniversary sets that are up at the top of the best sellers. I was hoping for at least third place for the Q6. It would appear not.

If all this is right, then what hope is there for any more NER locomotives to be manufactured in the coming years?

Best regards,

Rob.

This is interesting. I know a couple of people are hanging on until the price drops. This is based on what has happened with other locod. I (as a NER modeller) will not be buying one as they are to far out of period and the wrong gauge.

A number of years ago following the purchase of "Railways Around Whitby, Vol One" revised edition I sold my original copy with the orange cover. This was a mistake as the Orange covered version contains two Davenport photographs of Q6's on the Saltburn to Brotton Extension. The photo of the Q6 on the viaduct appears in both copies. However, the other one taken on the outskirts of Brotton where Lumpsy Signal Box was is not in the revised addition.

Could someone be so kind as to tell me the number of this Q6 and if stated, the date of the photograph which was mid 50's to early 60's if I recall. Also, does it have a 4125 gallon tender with the curved coal rails at both ends.

Many thanks in anticipation.

The number of the Q6 in the photo taken near Brotton is 63389. The tender attached to 63389 has full length coal rails. No date is given but the photo of the Q6 on the viaduct in Saltburn woods was taken in May 1955.

If you do a Google search e.g. Q6 63389 at Guisborough then you should be able to find a photo of this loco on the coal depot incline at Guisborough on 30/3/55.

Hope this helps.

Ken

Edited by Ken 63388

Guest Q663368

The number of the Q6 in the photo taken near Brotton is 63389. The tender attached to 63389 has full length coal rails. No date is given but the photo of the Q6 on the viaduct in Saltburn woods was taken in May 1955.

If you do a Goggle search e.g. Q6 63389 at Guisborough then you should be able to find a photo of this loco on the coal depot incline at Guisborough on 30/3/55.

Hope this helps.

Ken

Hi Ken,

Many thanks for the info. Much appreciated.

63389 again. Good as it is one of my favourites. I did download the pic on Guisborough coal drops sometime back. Based in part upon earlier info which you provided, coupled with other info including Sectional Appendices, etc I have put together a time line of known data for the Guisborough to Brotton branch including the local mines covering the 1948 to 1964 period. It is very helpful when reviewing traffic patterns and photographs.

Best regards

Alan

One definite example of  Q6s sporting Atlantic tenders at the end of their days is 63344 at Tyne Dock on the scrap road, coupling rods removed. The give-away is the six inch footplate angle on its tender. Not all C7 tenders had the angle changed when passed on the Q6s although most that were switched in pre-war days did. No doubt when the C7s were scrapped useful tenders were retained for use on Q6s. At the end of days remaining Q6s had a motley of tenders from Q7s and B16s as well as from C7s. I doubt if many records were kept of these changes in the last days.

That's my tender. Anyone choosing to model 63344 with that tender will need to be careful as they were only paired for approximately the 3 months prior to withdrawal. 

P

It should be remembered that at the end of steam there was a budget of Zero for the repair of the steam locomotives that remained and it was a case of what you had to make things work!

There was the case of locomotives going into Bolckows at North Blyth with coal in the tender in exchange for spares to keep others running!

Mark Saunders

• 2 weeks later...

Just wondering. Has anyone noticed that the footplate on their Q6 is bowed upwards in the middle? I've noticed this in some of the pics posted and a skim of the past few pages shows no mention of it as an issue.

Cheers,

David

Guest Q663368

Just wondering. Has anyone noticed that the footplate on their Q6 is bowed upwards in the middle? I've noticed this in some of the pics posted and a skim of the past few pages shows no mention of it as an issue.

Cheers,

David

Hi Dave,

I currently have three of these. All have straight footplates.

Alan (in Milton)

Cheers,

David

If you mean by this that the cab footplate rises up towards the backhead, then this is entirely this is entirely prototypical.

On mine, the footplate length under the boiler is splendidly straight!

Ok I finally received my Q6 during the last week. Unfortunately it had a click on my tightest curves (my layout is a figure 8 so the inner circuits are always the tighter curve and also on a down hill gradient. Both circuits are the same! ) also I had a Youchoos Zimo sound chip with a 28mm speaker. The LNER version was my choice.

Ok to fit the sound. I hit the first problem in that it is a tight fit in the tender due to the coal bunker arrangement. The solution was to lose the speaker enclosure. On the first run I was not really happy with the sound nor the click. So I managed to find an hour to sort some of the problems.

The sound was improved by removing the ridge which is to hold the speaker off the floor. I removed this with a Dremel and a burr. This allowed the 28mm speaker to sit tight down onto the floor. This also required the removal of the plastic strap over the metal weight. This is not really a problem as I used black tack to hold and seal the speaker to the tender floor. The added benefit is there is about 1mm vertical space due to the ridge being removed. The result of all of this work is the sound is a lot better.

After all of the above it just left the click to be resolved. After about an hour and a half running. The mech had run in and the other noises had settled down allowed me to locate the click. It was the "lubricator" drive. A gentle bend out by about an additional 10degrees (if that!) which resulted in a silent run.

I still have a bit of a issue that I think some of the pickups are not making contact at all times this will take a bit longer to resolve but also more running in may solve it.

I'll look forward to hearing it running and seeing the sound ... or summat like that!  ;)

I'm glad you have been able to resolve the clicking and also the space problem, because I know how much you have been looking forward to getting this one. :)

I still have a bit of a issue that I think some of the pickups are not making contact at all times this will take a bit longer to resolve but also more running in may solve it.

Go careful if adjusting those the tender pickups. They can't be bent out far enough to contact the rear land on a Gibson P4 wheelset. For OO you still have to take care. I don't know what material the tender pick ups are made from but I found them very brittle. One of mine snapped trying to increase the tension when using the standard Hornby wheel set.

I found a high resistance between the plunger connector and the contact strips due to oil/grease ingress. A quick wipe with IPA had that sorted.

post-508-0-29445300-1470478637.jpg

P

Edited by Porcy Mane

Thanks for that Porcy. I have shown the area that needed removing on your photo below shown by the arrow. Also the approximate location of the Coal bunker line which restricts the chip size. 

post-3192-0-94001000-1470542560.jpg

I used Black tack to fill any areas left open by the burr! 

Also I could not use the speaker enclosure. It takes up valuable space and as from the above photo shows you have a gap of about 2mm from the floor to the enclosure which the speaker rim is to fill. I hope all this helps with my post above. 

I've got mine all stripped down, found the one it's going to become through some Yeadon trawling, which will require a D50 boiler, I've got everything barring the dome sorted for that.

My only problem being trying to find a decent photo of the cab interior, without all the vac brake and other post preservation gubbins. The closest I've come is a Q7 cab shot which gives some idea of what to remove, but it's not quite the same. Could anyone point me in the right direction please?!

Cheers

J

Guest Q663368

That's my tender. Anyone choosing to model 63344 with that tender will need to be careful as they were only paired for approximately the 3 months prior to withdrawal. 

P

Looks like this tender also ran with 63397.

Did it have a sight glass on the rear for checking water levels ?.

Looks like this tender also ran with 63397.

It did but only for a short time.

Did it have a sight glass on the rear for checking water levels ?.

Not that I'm aware of. It had some very noticeable damage that was never repaired and plated up holes in the tank.

P

Edited by Porcy Mane

Guest Q663368

It did but only for a short time.

Not that I'm aware of. It had some very noticeable damage that was never repaired and plated up holes in the tank.

P

Many thanks for the confirmation and clarification of the repair. Are you going to include the repair on your tender ?.

Don't think so.....think you'll find that was a herculean rub down and filler job prior to repainting!

Worra lazy lot. They could have done the coping plates at the same time. Richard  will not be happy that they only did half a job on his loco.

One definite example of  Q6s sporting Atlantic tenders at the end of their days is 63344 at Tyne Dock on the scrap road, coupling rods removed. The give-away is the six inch footplate angle on its tender. Not all C7 tenders had the angle changed when passed on the Q6s although most that were switched in pre-war days did. No doubt when the C7s were scrapped useful tenders were retained for use on Q6s. At the end of days remaining Q6s had a motley of tenders from Q7s and B16s as well as from C7s. I doubt if many records were kept of these changes in the last days.

ArthurK

attachicon.gifBook 8 067_1.jpg

As I understand it, no Atlantics were built with self trimming tenders or coal rails swept down at the rear of the coal space. The one you show with 63344 is, I believe, self trimming, was swapped from a Q6 to a C7 and, at that point, had the angle iron altered to suit the C7 footplate. As you say, the angle iron was not altered back when it was coupled to other locomotives afterwards.

All the Atlantic tenders were 4125 gallons, self-trimming or otherwise. The 3940 gallon tenders are noticeably lower in the height of the sides, so I don't believe that the tender shown with 63395 in 1967, or as preserved, can have come from a Q5 unless the tank had been replaced with a 4125 gallon tank. 

Edited to say that the two 4CC or C8 locomotives had 3800 gallon tenders, of course.

Regards,

Roy

Edited by R Marshall

• RMweb Premium

Early builds of the C7s had 4125 gallon tenders but were not self trimming. The later batches were attached to the 4125 gallon self trimming tenders the same as those fitted to the later Q6s, B16s and Q7s There were differences in some of these tenders notably the type of spring hangers used but all these self trimming type had essentially identical bodies except that the rails of the 1917 batch of Q6s were cut back at the end of the coal space. 

All these later tenders had the rails swept down at front and rear. The preserved Q6 is not fitted with one of these nor do I believe it to be self trimming none of the early 4125 gallon tenders were ever self trimming which is why those on the C7s were swapped with those from the Q6s. I believe 3395 to be attached to be the standard 3940 gallon, non self trimming style. It certainly was when it was initially bought for preservaton.

In short if it has straight ended coal rails ending at the rear of the tender it is not self trimming.

I never claimed that the tender behind 63344 was not self trimming, of course it is. The angle was change to six inch when moved to a C7. This angle was not changed back to three inch when it was subsequently put back behind a Q6.

ArthurK

Edited by ArthurK

. The preserved Q6 is not fitted with one of these nor do I believe it to be self trimming none of the early 4125 gallon tenders were ever self trimming which is why those on the C7s were swapped with those from the Q6s. I believe 3395 to be attached to be the standard 3940 gallon, non self trimming style. It certainly was when it was initially bought for preservaton.

Hi Arthur,

Just for clarification the hybrid tender currently fitted to 63395 as rebuilt, now has a self trimming coal space. See this earlier post:

http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/105494-q6/page-19&do=findComment&comment=2374490

One thing that I guess we will never know about the tenders that were fitted/refitted to to Q6 is how many of them had the wooden shuttering at the front of the coalspace (as modelled by Hornby on their self trimming tender)  replaced by the plated coal hole in BR days?

P